Recommendation for for a new over ear headphone.
Jun 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 32
Thanks guys.. I'm reading a lot of positive stuff for the DT 770. I wonder how the DT 770 80ohm would behave in these scenarios:

1)listening an audiobook on mobile with some noise in the background, such as commuting? Would the 80ohm be a problem?
How is the noise isolation and audio volume?

2) listening music or audiobook at home with some noise in the background?

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 32
Thanks guys.. I'm reading a lot of positive stuff for the DT 770. I wonder how the DT 770 80ohm would behave in these scenarios:

1)listening an audiobook on mobile with some noise in the background, such as commuting? Would the 80ohm be a problem?
How is the noise isolation and audio volume?

2) listening music or audiobook at home with some noise in the background?

They would perform admirably, though you may find them a little big for commuting (I wear mine on the airplane, but everyone is different and you may find them too big).

Depending on your iPhone and budget, you can get something like the FiiO A3 (used to be the E11K) or maybe even the K1, if you can find the right cable (not sure if you can audio out through a lightning port, but I imagine you can) which will drive the 80 Ohm DT770s to their full potential with no problems at all.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 32
Thanks liquidzoo, I guess if I'm going to wear the DT770 on an airplane I'd rather not want to add in an amp, that's why I've asked. Too much stuff to carry around. Using it at home would be less problematic as I can easily change the sound card, etc.
Just noticed the DT770 selling for cheap is gone, back to search..

thanks!

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 32
Update: I'm set on Custom one Pro.. I think it is worth the extra effort and money to get one. I'll get a pair of a velour pad as well so I can get the maximum comfort which is my first priority. Unless I get an excellent deal on a QC25 which is very unlikely.

So I've been reading, many users complain about the cable quality.. so I wonder if there are any good cable to replace the COP's cable in case it goes out.

Serching amazon most seems very bad reviewed, except for this one

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Speakeasy-3-Button-Reinforced-Cable/dp/B012B7SES4/ref=sr_1_36?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1465052099&sr=1-36&keywords=headphone+cable+remote+apple

I wonder if there any other I couldn't find? I don't think I'll need because I'm VERY careful with my cables, and even my bose soundsport is intact.

Thanks,

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 32
Every single part of the Customs is replacable and available for order either from Beyerdynamic itself or other suppliers.
Take a look at http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/custom/?lang=us

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 32
Thanks paspro,
I was checking it seems the Custom pro PLUS comes with the apple compatible/control cable and the PRO doesn't. So I think the Custom plus it is. I'm just a bit concerned about the cable itself.. it seems the end that goes into the phone do have a proprietary fit?

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 32
Thanks paspro,
I was checking it seems the Custom pro PLUS comes with the apple compatible/control cable and the PRO doesn't. So I think the Custom plus it is. I'm just a bit concerned about the cable itself.. it seems the end that goes into the phone do have a proprietary fit?

Apple connectors as a whole are proprietary.

Not in size, they are normal 3.5mm TRRS connectors, but in wiring. They're wired differently than any other TRRS connectors.

If you're concerned about longevity, though, you can buy one directly from Beyerdynamic:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/cable-with-microphone-and-remote.html

And the Custom Pro Plus comes with 2 cables (one with apple controls, one without) so you won't be out of your tunes if something happens.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 32
Apple connectors as a whole are proprietary.

Not in size, they are normal 3.5mm TRRS connectors, but in wiring. They're wired differently than any other TRRS connectors.

If you're concerned about longevity, though, you can buy one directly from Beyerdynamic:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/cable-with-microphone-and-remote.html

And the Custom Pro Plus comes with 2 cables (one with apple controls, one without) so you won't be out of your tunes if something happens.

I havent' expressed myself correctly I guess, here is a partial comment from an amazon customer "There is a notch where the cable plugs in, so a standard replacement cable will not work",
that is I suppose I'd only be able to use beyerdynamic replacement cables then..

edit: I won't be able to use this one I suppose? http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-1-Button-SpeakEasy-Cable-Grey/dp/B00MYTRF12?ie=UTF8&keywords=reinforced%20headphone%20apple%20cable%20replacement&qid=1465318459&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Thanks

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #25 of 32

I havent' expressed myself correctly I guess, here is a partial comment from an amazon customer "There is a notch where the cable plugs in, so a standard replacement cable will not work",
that is I suppose I'd only be able to use beyerdynamic replacement cables then..

edit: I won't be able to use this one I suppose? http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-1-Button-SpeakEasy-Cable-Grey/dp/B00MYTRF12?ie=UTF8&keywords=reinforced%20headphone%20apple%20cable%20replacement&qid=1465318459&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Thanks

The opening where the cable plugs into the headphone is quite large, so as long as the plug on the replacement cable you want to use is relatively slim, it will work. The V-moda cable you are looking at will work, I've read a review where a person used one with their COP.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #26 of 32
Darn Amazon.com, I had the Custom One Plus for $157 in my cart and now it's back at $199. I'm considering the Sennheiser HD 598 plus an apple cable such as v-moda, but I guess in the end price should be very close anyway :-/

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 32
Darn Amazon.com, I had the Custom One Plus for $157 in my cart and now it's back at $199. I'm considering the Sennheiser HD 598 plus an apple cable such as v-moda, but I guess in the end price should be very close anyway :-/

Note that without an adapter, the V-MODA cable (that is 3.5mm on both ends) will not fit into the Sennheisers (2.5mm on the headphone cup end).

Also, the HD-598 is an open (or Semi-Open) headphone and won't block much, if any outside noise.

And the Custom Pro Plus that you're looking at comes with the apple cable (as well as an additional one) plus a bunch of swappable parts, so it's probably worth it. Amazon seems to put various headphones on sale every couple of weeks (The M50s go on sale every other week it seems) so it might be worth waiting for a little bit to see if the price goes back down.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 32
Note that without an adapter, the V-MODA cable (that is 3.5mm on both ends) will not fit into the Sennheisers (2.5mm on the headphone cup end).

Also, the HD-598 is an open (or Semi-Open) headphone and won't block much, if any outside noise.

And the Custom Pro Plus that you're looking at comes with the apple cable (as well as an additional one) plus a bunch of swappable parts, so it's probably worth it. Amazon seems to put various headphones on sale every couple of weeks (The M50s go on sale every other week it seems) so it might be worth waiting for a little bit to see if the price goes back down.

Yes I imagine I'd have to go for an adapter or sennheiser's cable.. I wonder if there would be any problem with a generic or v-moda cable on sennheiser's regarding the pause control.
I don't care much about open/close but I do a lot about the apple control since I need to quickly pause when someone comes talk to me.
Also as far as I could read, the velour pad is really the thing regarding comfort (which is my top priority), and Custom one PRO don't come with velour pad, just the apple cable. So unless I'm mistaken, Custom One plus with velour pad would go around $234, quite a bit more than the Sennheiser 598 with some apple cable.. what do you think?

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 32
Yes I imagine I'd have to go for an adapter or sennheiser's cable.. I wonder if there would be any problem with a generic or v-moda cable on sennheiser's regarding the pause control.
I don't care much about open/close but I do a lot about the apple control since I need to quickly pause when someone comes talk to me.
Also as far as I could read, the velour pad is really the thing regarding comfort (which is my top priority), and Custom one PRO don't come with velour pad, just the apple cable. So unless I'm mistaken, Custom One plus with velour pad would go around $234, quite a bit more than the Sennheiser 598 with some apple cable.. what do you think?

I mentioned them being open because you said in your first post (and a couple of times after that) that you were looking for noise cancelling, that implied at least a semi-loud environment that you'd be using them in, you also said commuting.

Open headphones wouldn't be ideal for commuting, for sure; and probably not ideal for an office environment either. Remember, they let sound both ways. You can hear what's going on, but others can also hear your music.

If it were me, I'd get the Custom One Pro Plus and use them and see how they hold up. You can always get the pads later (the DT770/880/990/1770s aren't going anywhere, so no chance in missing out).

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 32
Getting first "HIFI" headphones is hard considering that there are so many options, also every person tastes are different. Some will love certain headphones while other will hate them. Since you are basically blind buying headphones i don think people can give you a perfect description of the sound, as i state before every person is different. All the recommendations that people had give you before, all of them are really  good, some will do better at certain type of music, some will have better bass, etc. Is up to you to decide what you like in terms of sound, comfort etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back