Recommendation for for a new over ear headphone.
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mrusso81

New Head-Fier
Hello,
It's been a while since I have been researching the next overear headphone to get. I currently own a Sennheiser HD201, and the pleather is flaking all over, and for some reason, with foam exposed it doesn't seems so comfortable at all.
I didn't want to spend much but I'd rather prefer to buy one $300 headphone than 10 x $30 headphone from now on.

So I'm in doubt about a couple models... Bose QuietComfort 15 or 20. Sennheiser HD 598 or HD 600.

Any input is appreciated.. I'm looking for:
Extremely comfortable, as can wear it for 8 hours a day.
Leather should last 'forever'.. I'm more prone to real leather or velour, as I have very bad experience with (cheap) Pleather. I don't mind applying some oil or care for the leather.. I just don't want it to crack and fall apart.

Noise cancelling is a plus, that's why I've included Bose Quietcomfort in the mix, but the earpad doesn't seem to be durable, so I'd like to read opinions on this one...
Thanks in advance!

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 32
There are so many options at a 300US.
So is comfort is the number one priority?
Close cans vs open cans.
What kind of music you listen to, bass heavy, instrumental, jazz, classical.
Will you use for portability or mostly home?
Do you prefer Analytical clear sound or more all around sound.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 32
Hi fallingsnowfy,

comfort is the number one priority because I may ear for long hours, and even said comfortable earphone/earbuds I can still feel my ear tired after some time. I have a Bose soundsport that is known to be very comfortable, but still, after 4 or 5 hours I can feel a discomfort.
Same with my HD201, now even more after the pleather wore out.
I don't listen too much bass heavy music, and the reason why I haven't mentioned specifics and listed comfort as priority is because I don't think I'm trained enough to distinct the nuances you guys pick up at high end head phones.

I forgot to mention, I'm looking for portability as well, so an all around sound to work with iphone (control) would be really cool.

so the priorities would be

1)comfortable over ear
2)for the heavens, no more pleather cracking
3)apple interface
4)noise cancellation.

I think I could be happy with some Bose quietcomfort if it wasn't for the need to replace earpad..

Thanks

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 32
  What model of Bose headphones you have? you might be able to change the pads, for some high quality ones it will make a huge difference.

I don't have any Bose over ear headphone, just the Bose sports in ear earbud, but now that you mentioned, what are the options for the ear pads for bose quietcomfort? I might get the 15 since they can be found used cheaper, then I can change the ear pads...

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 32
Head size and ear size are very important factors in determining whether a headphone will be comfortable for you or not. Otherwise, people trying to help you will just be shooting in the dark recommending headphones to you. That being said, don't get the Bose unless you really need noise cancelling. With your budget, there are more comfortable headphones that sound better than the Bose, since the noise cancelling does weird things to the frequency response and impedance.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 32
Thanks, I guess you're right, a shoot in the dark, specially because where I live there is not store carrying any decent head phone I can try. The parameter I have so far is that my HD 201 might be small for me, I'd need larger earpads for it.
Also for durability, as far as I could research, all earpads has its problems, pleather, velour, leather,.. I'm almost giving up to have have a durable headphone.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 32
In that case, I feel like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro might work for you. It's technically discontinued, but the successor, the Custom One Pro Plus, is pretty much the same thing with some extra accessories. It has large earcups and earpads that fit most ears without any problems and plenty of padding for comfort. The stock pleather earpads can be swapped out for Beyerdynamic DT770 velour pads if desired, and the stock cable swapped out for an iOS compatible headset cable. It's a bit big and not collapsible/foldable for storage, but I have used it as a portable headphone without any issues, since it can be driven by a smartphone easily. Lastly, it's biggest selling point is sliders on the earcups that can change the amount of bass to affect the overall sound signature for lots of flexibility.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 32
Thanks looks like a fine suggestion. I've found a used Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, is it the same comfort as the Custom one Pro?

Plus what about the AKG Professional Studio Headphones | K240 MK II?

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 32
The DT770, as far as I know, doesn't have a detachable cable, unless you want to mod them. That's a huge minus for long-term durability, since cables are usually one of the first components to get damaged or fail. If you don't get an amp, that pretty much limits you to the 32 ohm version for easy driving from a phone. They are roughly the same form factor, so I'd imagine comfort would be similar, with the stock pleather pads being swappable for velour ones. Overall, I'd say the Custom One Pro is a better choice, especially if you can also find it used.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 32
I've only found the DT770 80 ohm and I was thinking exactly the same thing.. if I don't get an amp, no mobile love for me. Also the detachable cable. I'll keep looking to buy one local (Brazil), if I direct import it might get twice the price.

Roughly speaking, the DT770 80ohm, the Quietcomfort 15 and AKG K240 MK II are about the same price here.. except that the AKG might be new. Any idea where I can find internal dimensions of the earpad for the DT770, Bose and AKG?

Thanks

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 32
Update: I was browsing/searching around and found that the dimensions of the earcup from Bose is slightly smaller than HD 201.. or at least very close. Assuming the 201 "cramps" on my ear during long periods, I suppose Bose's earpad would do the same, regardless of the foam quality. That said, the threads on head-fi came up with two suggestions for long sessions, being the already mentioned DT770,
the Samson SR 950  and AKG 240 also mentioned above..

Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 32
The DT770 is probably as comfortable as any can is every going to get. You can really forget your wearing them. The sound signature is fun also. I've had a pair for a few years now and its been used pretty heavily. No issues so far. They're built like tanks. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 32
The AKG K240 (from what I remember, there are a bunch of varieties) are semi-open and have pleather pads. There may be an updated version, I'm not sure.

The DT770 are very comfortable. Nice large ear cups and comfortable even with my glasses. The 80 Ohm have more bass than any of the other ones, but the 32 (or 15, if you can find them there) Ohm versions will work directly out of an iPhone with no need for an amplifier. The 80 Ohm version will work directly too, they just won't sound their fullest.

If I needed it, I would go for noise isolation rather than noise cancelling. Cancelling imparts artificial noise into the cups that alters the sound of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back