recommendation for female vocals
Mar 6, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 161
Give Cassandra Wilson's "Blue Light 'till Dawn" and "New Moon Daughter" albums a spin. Great covers of "Come on in my Kitchen", "Tupelo Honey", "Last Train to Clarksville" and more.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 161
Ann Wilson,from Heart,is a super voice.Absolutely terrific! And she sings live exactly the same as in recordings,which is rare.Only if you like hard rock,anyway...check some videos in Youtube.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 161
Check out Mindy Smith. Does a great cover of Jolene - Just Because I'm A Woman. Also like Come to Jesus- One Moment More

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give Cassandra Wilson's "Blue Light 'till Dawn" and "New Moon Daughter" albums a spin. Great covers of "Come on in my Kitchen", "Tupelo Honey", "Last Train to Clarksville" and more.

x2 Cassandra Wilson's

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 161
some femal singers i enjoy:

neko case (someone mentioned her already - fox confessor.. is a great album)
nina nastasia
jenny lewis (from the band rilo killey, but also has a solo album out- Rabbit Fur Coat)
isobel cambell (formerly in belle and sebastian, but now doing solo stuff - her album with mark lanegan - "Ballad Of The Broken Seas" is worth checking out)
cat power

out of those the album most like what you are looking for (covers of electric songs) is probably:
'The Covers Record" by Cat Power - she has an unusual voice, and it wont appeal to everyone (be warned!!), but she does covers of all sorts of stuff like the rolling stones, moby grape and bob dylan, however they are often unrecognisable

somethings that are bit more mainstream (but with their own material, not covers):
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Nina Nastasia - On Leaving
Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
are all fantastic albums

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 161
Besides the obvious great women of jazz whom I adore, for a lighter spirit try

checking out Mirah, I have the album Advisory Committee and it is a great easygoing witty listen..

also fun are the ditty bops. There are binaural flac recordings of some of their live performances at archive.org

Heather Nova is on my list too. Especially her album "Oyster"

have fun.. Ill think of more later..

hYdrociTy
( '-')

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #23 of 161
How about KT Tunstall. Just heard her this weekend. Love her.

B000DN5VJY.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #24 of 161
Feist has a new album coming out in April. Here is live footage of a great new stripped down song that will appear on it (crowd singing along kind of ruins the end, but still good):

"Intuition"

She sings with Metric's female lead Emily Haines in the Broken Social Scene. Neko Case did an interview with Pitchfork and said she is a fan of Feist adding, "She's got the most soulful voice and she doesn't sound like anyone else."

Here is professionally shot footage of her covering Ron Sexsmith's "Secret Heart":

"Secret Heart"

In short, I would marry her in a heartbeat.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 161
Alison Goldfrapp of the self-titled band, Goldfrapp. I just looove her voice as well as the music. The brilliant album, "Felt Mountain", is where her voice shines...more so than on the later two albums. Check out live clips of "Utopia" on Youtube.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 161
someone already mentioned jenny lewis but they forgot to mention Rilo Kiley's "unplugged" acoustic concert ep, "Live at Fingerprints EP"

one of my favorite tracks to listen when I'm trying out new gear is Rilo Kiley - I Never from Most Adventurous. Her voice is so pretty!

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #29 of 161
Just to throw in another perspective/flavor from a rocker's point of view:

Skin from 'Skunk Anansie' rocks.

I have always been in love with Pat Benatar's voice.

I'm glad to see that 'Poe' got mentioned.

Fiona Apple.

Tracy Bonham.

My newest 'discovery' is a woman named Julie Westlake. She sings in a hard rock band by the name of 'Hydrogyn'. She can rock with the best of them, and has a very melodic, powerful and sexy voice.

A pic of Julie:

juliewestlake.jpg

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #30 of 161
Imilhan: two can play at that game
wink.gif

jenny lewis:
jenny%20lewis.jpg

c85fe893e7a0bbeb4b1ef010.L.jpg

pictures are for educational purposes, obviously..
...i think we just lowered the tone of the thread
icon10.gif

and jinp6301, an unplugged rillo killey ablum ehhh, hmm, must go and look for that....thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back