recommendation for amp and dac for HIFIMAN HE-500
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Deicide3

New Head-Fier
i need a recommendation for an amp and dac for the cans, budget 800-900$ max.
i've heard that dv337\9 is a combo "from heaven" but in another community they says this cans need alot of power and these amps cant run them because of the low ohm.

btw the music i listen to is extreme metal.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 10
I know some guys here recommend using speaker amps for Hifiman, but there are also very capable headphone amps that will drive them. Any preference, tube/solid state? 

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 10
The Schiit Lyr might be just what you are looking for. After reading the HE-500 thread in the Headphones forum, I get the impression that it's one of the most popular choices for the HE-500. Also it responds very well to tube rolling.

I have the HE-500 and use it with Audio GD SA-31, which could be an option if you want solid state amp that has a little bit of tube-like warmth and musicality (at the risk of spreading stereotypical nonsense.. 
rolleyes.gif
 ) The SA-31 was designed with planars in mind, like the Lyr, and can drive the HE-500 easily .

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
The Schiit Lyr might be just what you are looking for. After reading the HE-500 thread in the Headphones forum, I get the impression that it's one of the most popular choices for the HE-500. Also it responds very well to tube rolling.

I have the HE-500 and use it with Audio GD SA-31, which could be an option if you want solid state amp that has a little bit of tube-like warmth and musicality (at the risk of spreading stereotypical nonsense.. 
rolleyes.gif
 ) The SA-31 was designed with planars in mind, like the Lyr, and can drive the HE-500 easily .

i'll read about these two, any suggestion for dac?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Can't go wrong with the lyr and a nice set of tubes...
Quote:
i'll read about these two, any suggestion for dac?

On a budget...odac. Got three bills...bifrost

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey all,
I have the same question.  I email Schiit Audio and they recommend for tube "be looking at Lyr 2, or if you want to stay solid-state, Asgard 2".  With their Bifrost, of course.  I tried them with my main system's Creek Destiny 2 and Wavelength Brick and the sound was underwhelming, but the Destiny wasn't built for headphones, plus, I'm not going to keep $4-5K tied up in a headphone amp/DAC setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back