Recommendation for a Senior Citizen's ears
Feb 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

greenarrow

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings to all of you out there. A noob here.

At present I've a 'rolled' iBasso D2 Viper and a Sennheiser R130 wireless headphone for my listening pleasure. I'm basically into oldies of the 60's right up to the 80's.

I'm not very happy with my Senny and is looking for a can which can provides me a good sound environment. As a senior citizen, my hearing freqency is much reduced. Basically, what I'm looking for is a good bass, clear mid and high.

The AKG 701, Sennheiser HD650 are a few which I think is good for me. I'm also open to suggestions on other good, high quality cans.

My source is from my PC and iPod Touch 2G.

Inputs greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Have you considered a pair of Grados? They're wonderful with the oldies - they seem to be tuned for rock. They also have a bit of an emphasis on the highs. I have a couple of relatives who have lost some of their upper range hearing, and they love Grados because the highs tend to even out for them and sound balanced. Also, you won't need to buy an amp if you get Grados, so ypu could use them with your setup. If you bought the Senns or AKGs, you'd probably want to run them with an amp. If you're not sure if you'd like them, the SR-60 is reasonable and very popular. I don't know how much they'd cost for you, but you could also look at the Alessandro headphones, which are made by Grado. Alessandros cost the same no matter where you are.

Another headphone with emphasis on the highs you might like is the Beyerdynamic DT880. They're forward like a Grado, but more neutral overall. They also prefer an amplifier - I think they sound best with a tube amp. The other selling point for the DT880 is that they're extremely comfortable. Not everyone likes the feel of Grados, but I can't remember seeing a complain about the DT880.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 9
^ What he said.
The DT880s are extremely comfortable and have quite a nice soundstage. Can not go wrong with Grado either though they might be a little uncomfortable for you as they rest on your ear.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 9
hi,

since you are from Singapore ..u can checkout Jaben Network ..they are a headphone shop with a forum community in Singapore...u can go to their shop..spend hours..try all kinds of headphones and buy one.

the owner Mr. Wilson is a very enthusiastic and friendly person and he can help you out.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm 56 so not quite senior yet
smily_headphones1.gif

For the music you like to listen to Grados would be my first choice in open cans, the JVC/Victor DX1000 in closed cans. The DT880s will also do a nice job and be extremely comfortable.

Apparently there are shops in Singapore that carry a good inventory of better headphones. Mr Wilson of the Jaben Network helps support this community.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 9
hearing loss occurs in the highs first, so i think a grado would be quite a good choice because it is likely that your mid-low frequencies are the least affected from hearing loss due to age (and may end up sounding quite neutral depending on how well your ears are faring and if you have to turn up loud the can will become more balanced i guess). Don't ever give up on your ears though no matter how old you get - it's not what youve got, it's how you use it. Listening technique is the most important thing imho.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Not sure if I'm a senior (only 66 y.o.) but, I'm a Beyer and Grado...-holic. One combo is the big bang for the buck Beyer dt990 600ohms (2005 from Beyerdynamic Manufaktur) combined with Ming Da MC84-c 07 amp (use NOS tubes [Mullard EL84 matched pair, Amperex 6HU6, and a matched pair of (my first choice) Raytheon 5751/windmill getter]). The easy 2nd choice is an older (meaning vintage or at least semi-vintage) Grado RS-1(flat earpads). Home amp choice can be controversial, but I do like, portably a Xin Reference amp with them.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if I'm a senior (only 66 y.o.) but, I'm a Beyer and Grado...-holic. One combo is the big bang for the buck Beyer dt990 600ohms (2005 from Beyerdynamic Manufaktur) combined with Ming Da MC84-c 07 amp (use NOS tubes [Mullard EL84 matched pair, Amperex 6HU6, and a matched pair of (my first choice) Raytheon 5751/windmill getter]). The easy 2nd choice is an older (meaning vintage or at least semi-vintage) Grado RS-1(flat earpads). Home amp choice can be controversial, but I do like, portably a Xin Reference amp with them.

Heh heh, you're five years senior than me
beerchug.gif
With the vast range of headphones, I'm really lost in choosing what's suitable for me. Secondly, can my D2 Viper supports all these? Once I was a 'tuber' cooking up diy amps. Nothing like tube sound.

I've narrow down my choice to the following ..

AKG 701, Sennheiser HD650, Gardo (still can't decide on which model) and lastly the DT9900. I will go down to a couple of shops here in Singapore for an audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back