Recommendation for a pair of fun cans ~100GBP??
Jun 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Alright ladies! After a long journey I ended up with the K701 as my reference cans with the HD650 being passed on. Now I need recommendation for a pair of fun headphones with crazy bass and energy that make me want to shake my head until it falls off 
L3000.gif
 for some electronic genres like pop, hip-hop, R&B etc. The budget is around 100GBP. 

I'm looking for some sweet & textured bass with not-too-recessed mids. Comfort is second to sound. 

What comes to my head straightaway are:
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 or ES7
- Beyer DT770 
- Sony XB700 (hmmm?)
- Denon D1001 or CAL!
- Ultrasone (absolutely no clue about this brand)
- Goldring NS1000 

Any experience with these or any other recommendation? 
Cheers guys,
Joey. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 14
You officially sold your HD650 pair? T_T

At 100GBP, ATH-m50 should be a no brainer. You can even find them for $70-80GBP if you get lucky with some UK stores
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Not officially but it will be on ebay by tonight, hopefully I'll get the proceed by next week. 

I'll probably go for a M50 but it's quite hard to get one for less than 100GBP nowadays. :frowning2: 

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Perhaps (like me and many others) he simply dislikes the 650s. I would much rather listen to my $100 MS1s any day. And I would definitely recommend the ATH-M50s, if you can find them reasonably priced.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 14
I'd take the Beyer and Sony off your list. The DT770 has a ridiculous amount of bass but it's uncontrolled and boomy. It also suffers from a very recessed midrange. Ultrasones might be worth looking at though I'm not sure what models are in your pricerange over there so I can't comment specifically.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 14

I just personally don't like its sound sig. Still a great cans though but I prefer the AKG's sounds sig to Senn's. The K701 satisfies my needs for details and mids but the HD650 seems to be lot of money for a pair of fun cans (at least in my circumstances). 

Quote:
Why are you gonna sell your 650's and downgrade?

About the Ultrasones, I've been eyeing the HFI-780 for quite sometimes but don't think I can afford them at the moment. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 14
After wondering around, I found the HFI-680 for the same price as the M50 in UK. Any comparison of these 2? 

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 14
I had the NS1000, it was a really nice pair of cans. They were really good for Pop and rock, haven't tried them for metal and hip hop. 

Bass was really nice, punchy with a good resolution and spacing. out of sub 100pounds, this is the one I found that had the best bass. 
comfort was also really good, but the battery made it a little  heavy. with NR on I found the heights to be a bit tiring as they had too much *sparkle*, if you get what I mean. with NR off, they sounded really muddy, however, with a FiiO attached to it everything smoothed and details came up. If you have a good amp, they will scale up really nicely. Otherwise, on the street for example, I find the NR reduction on good enough.

There is a small hiss with NR on, but only when I focused, otherwise, I didn't find it problematic.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 14
just ordered a pair of NS1000 :p 100GBP seems to be quite a lot for a pair of hps that I'll just listen to when i'm bored of my K701

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 14
yep

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I had the NS1000, it was a really nice pair of cans. They were really good for Pop and rock, haven't tried them for metal and hip hop. 

Bass was really nice, punchy with a good resolution and spacing. out of sub 100pounds, this is the one I found that had the best bass. 
comfort was also really good, but the battery made it a little  heavy. with NR on I found the heights to be a bit tiring as they had too much *sparkle*, if you get what I mean. with NR off, they sounded really muddy, however, with a FiiO attached to it everything smoothed and details came up. If you have a good amp, they will scale up really nicely. Otherwise, on the street for example, I find the NR reduction on good enough.

There is a small hiss with NR on, but only when I focused, otherwise, I didn't find it problematic.

I still have mine and rate them for prog rock and all its sub-genres. I prefer the sound of NR off, on is too bright. I agree about the addition of a FiiO as well.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 14
Got an E5 already, I'm looking forward to collect the post on Tuesday 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back