Recommendation for 150-400$ (~125-340€)
Dec 23, 2017 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Andriokz

New Head-Fier
My only reference is the Audio Technica M50x. I liked them, but after my second pair broke (it's a small stop on the headphone to allow the cup to stay in place on your ear) I decided it's time to step up. There are no audio places nearby that allow me to test the sound, so hoping for some recommendations here given everyone's experience. From all the reviews I've read, price doesn't always mean you're going to what you want out of a pair of headphones.

I know some of these require an amp, but I want to know how do these sound compared to the ATH-M50x. The headphones were good overall, but I noticed somethings were drowned out in something like EDM. I felt it lacked deep bass feel, and had issues with upper octaves on a piano. I believe the bass is referred to as "muddy" from time to time and distorted on the higher end of the piano, as if it may blow the actual headphones if I went over a certain volume.

My list so far

• Sennheiser HD 579, 598, 599, 600, 650, MAYBE 700 if it's that good.
  • Hifi-man 400i
  • Beyer DT 770, 880
  • Sony 1000xm2
  • Fostex TRP50 MK III V1
  • Sennheiser x MassDrop HD 6xx

I like just a bit of everything for music; EDM, vocals with acoustic guitar, symphonies, and metal. I don't need to go super low notes in rap, but good enough to hear a low B note on a 5 string bass. I'd like clarity in little things to be there, such as resonating sounds from wood instruments where a cello sounds just as good as a violin.

TL;DR: Which one of these have "good" bass feeling (not super low notes) and awesome clarity for small details so it doesn't sound muddled.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 2
We have similar music preferences. Recently, I just bought Takstar Pro 82. To my surprise, I even prefer this headphone to some $500 headphones. It scales greatly with overall system so you can save the extra money for dac/amp.

Edit: the bass doesn't go super low but so clean. It even have 3 bass boost level but I prefer the original bass sound without bass boost; you can always play with that if you want to

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back