Recommend new heaphone, HD650 just died
Dec 5, 2010 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ZorgDK

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all fellow headfi'ers.

I need a new set of headphones since my HD650 just quit working on the right phone after I dropped them. Crap - I had just replaced the cable since the original cable had a loose connection on the left phone. Talking about bad luck :frowning2:

I want a headphone that's in the same class or better than the HD650. Maybe a pair that is a bit more strong in the mids with nice 's' sounds. I would like to have a good strong bass and also clear highs. A more upfront sound would be nice but it must not be too fatigueing since I often use them for long periods of time. 

What headphones can you recommend? I like the HD650's sound but I think I would like to try something different. 

I'm using a Asus Essence ST as source with integrated amp. I'm considering getting a external headphone amp as well. Will it make a big difference? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Get an amp and the HD650's again :p FWIR adding a dedicated amp should give you what your looking for...

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah I do like the HD650... It would just feels very unrewarding buying the same headphone twice :) But I might do it.

What amps can make the HD650 shine (with Essence ST as source)?

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Are you sure your phones are badly damaged? Could be just a connection. If you've damaged the right driver, why not simply replace it? Alternatively, if the phones are more than 3 years old, get a new pair. Newer versions are supposed to be a little brighter and clearer.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't know what's wrong with the right phone, I just know it doesn't make a sound.The cable is brand new. The phones are 3-4 years old. Also the headband is broken (has been for a while, fixed with gaffa tape) so they're not so comfortable to wear. So repair is not an option, it's two things that needs fixing, a headband replacement alone costs 170 $ from Sennheiser. 

Sounds good that newer versions could be improved.

EDIT: I just took the right phone apart (for the first time) and the dríver had fallen out of its socket. I put it back and it works now. Great! 

Still looking for amp suggestions. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Depends how much you want to spend on one. I've heard that tube amps have great synergy with the hd650s and there are a lot of fairly cheap options if you consider chinese ones like Little Dot and Darkvoice.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Look at the little dot mk3/mk4 or 336se, or a woo audio wa3/6 if you want American made (though it will cost you more). For a SS amp, maybe an M^3. You have a decent source in the xonar so there are a lot of amp options in that price range.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 12
That's good that you were able to fix the problem :). Good luck finding an amp.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back