Recommend me the best headphone.
Aug 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

21quest

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am just starting out on higher end headphones.

Right now, I am finding an open back full size headphone in the price range of HD600.

At first, I just wanna get the HD600, but after awhile, I found out that there are more to be looked upon in the audiophile world, such as the Philips Fidelio X1, I think it will fit me more than the HD600, unfortunately it is not available in my country somewhere in South Asia (Oh well) and I am not going for international shipping. What really interests me on the X1 descriptions by fellow Head Fiers is the soundstage and the bass, these are to me the most important aspects of ideal sound to me. I listen to wide variety of genre, I am that kind of guy who don't just listen to music based on genre but I mostly enjoy Pop, R&B, Acoustic, Soul, Funk, Jazzy Hip Hop like Nujabes. This clearly shows how X1 fits me the most, but sadly it is out of the picture now, so I just wanna know can I enjoy the HD600? Do the soundstage and the bass of HD600 can satisfy me? How the soundstage of HD600 feels like? Does it have the out of the head imaging that I am easily impressed to?

Also do recommend other headphone that fits me other than the X1, I am also considering the HD598.

For reference, currently I have an Aune T1 Mk2 tube DAC (stock tubeEH6922) and ATH EP700 open back on ear headphone.

Thank you.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 20
Second hand ATH-W1000X.
- easy to drive. No amp necessary, but a low output amp does make them shine.
- very well suited to the sound of raspy male voice and guitars.
- comfortable and looks expensive
- no mods needed, and perfectly capable as a single ended output headphone (6.5mm jack)

One of the headphone that sees the most use. Not anywhere close to the most expensive headphones I have.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 20
The HE-400 isn't known for having a good sound stage though.  Neither is the HD 600 really.  Just something to keep in mind.  

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 20
I don't have the 600, but I have the 650. They are also one of my headphones that see a lot of use. The soundstage is good, but with the (not so new) HD800, T1, HE-6 and LCD-3, it is far from the best. Still, you'd have to bear in mind that the 650 is a quarter of the asking price of those "new" flagships, and that really puts the soundstage - price ratio quite favourably.

With regards to your priority for good soundstage, I think you should revisit a few headphones with poor soundstage. You'd find that for your choice of music (I listen to a lot of old R&B and Coldplay), soundstage isn't important at all. This may very well be purely preference. I have my better soundstage headphones purely for Orchestra and Choir music.

You would be paying a lot for very little gain if you're prioritizing soundstage over mid and bass warmth. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 20
I may be exaggerated my need for soundstage, I just need a headphone that can give me the impression of the sound coming from outside my head, do any of the headphones I listed have this characteristic? I have read about the HE 400, from what I read, the soundstage seems good, some people in the Impression thread have been using the word "3D imaging", "Spectacular soundstage", how are those descriptions not having it known for good soundstage, I think HE 400 is a great alternative for X1.
  The HE-400 isn't known for having a good sound stage though.  Neither is the HD 600 really.  Just something to keep in mind.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 20

mmm... I beg to differ. both of the HE400 and HD600 headphones have pretty amazing sound stage. In that price range, the only pair of headphones I've tried that have better sound stage was the AKGs Q701/K701/K702.

In comparison to the $800+ headphones, their sound stage is obviously not as baller, but at that is an unfair comparison. At this price range of sub-$400, I really don't think there are many other headphones can compare to their sound stage and sound quality.

both the he-400 and the x1 have very solid sound quality. you can get both at $300 or less nowadays, so it's a great SQ value for your dollar.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 20
I think the X1 would suit your music fairly well. However I would wait to see if the upcoming HE400i or the X2 is available and within your budget. The HD650 would also work as it has a similar signature (but better mids) as the X1. Not a fan of the HE400 as its midrange and treble are not very good.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 20
Thank you all for the replies, appreciate it.

Like I said, X1,X2 is not possible choice anymore. HE400i and the HD650 is way out of my budget, it costs twice as the HE400 here. I think the best headphone I can get is definitely the HE400. Here's why, after reading reviews, i just don't think the HD600 will sing my music, the HD600 is great for old songs, classical, rock and some other genre that I'm not fond of at all, my favorite musics comprises of modern and fast stuff, I just don't think the HD600 will deliver, it is more about the music than the headphone, who cares about mids treble when u can't fully enjoy your songs? About the AKGs, they said the soundstage is more wide than being dimensional, that description just turn me right off. The HE400 performs the same like the HD600 from what I read, and right now they are on stock clearance so the price is way cheaper that the senns, more reason to get the HE400. >_> However I am still open for more opinion.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 20
HD600 is not a "slow" "old fashion music" can... :p
yes the can has been around for a long time...and is still around n well loved for a v good reason.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 20
You can't really go wrong with either the HE-400 or the HD600 for the genres you listed (I owned both recently).  They have different overall presentations (the HD600 is more relaxed while the HE-400 is more energetic).  The HD600 has a more balanced sound, whereas the HE-400 has treble peaks and a very noticeable upper midrange dip.  I felt that the HE-400 easily had a bigger soundstage, though this may be due to the fact that it tends to make sounds seem distant.  The HE-400 also easily had better bass (the best I have ever heard).  However, it is worth thinking about comfort.  Do you plan on wearing them for long sessions?  The weight and clamping force of the HE-400 make them far less comfortable than the HD600.  Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 20
... that description just turn me right off. 

I'd strongly advise against limiting your options from description, unless you're living very remotely and have no chance of auditioning any headphones.

I've had all sorts of head-fi gear where it was all the rave on this forum, and I purchase sight unseen, and I was unimpressed or disappointed. Conversely, I have had the opposite experience where I've read terrible reviews, and I purchase sight unseen just to see what the hate is all about, and they are some of my keepers.

It's your first mid/high end headphone, there are plenty more to come. You're definitely not going to find your perfect headphones, now or ever.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 20
You're definitely not going to find your perfect headphones, now or ever.

worth quoting :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back