Recommend me some rock/alt-country
Apr 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. Then on that basis you might want to try the other two I mentioned, if you don't have them already. You can ask tru blu for a second if you're skeptical.

Hear, hear…totally forgot about the Bottle Rockets…bad-ass. I just caught Wussy again a few weeks ago…love that band.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 27
The entire Old 97s discography. My favorite band of all-time. I've seen them live about 8 times, and Murry Hammond once leaned against my car in the parking lot. No lie!

Also: Wilco (pre-Summerteeth for maximum altcountryness), Drive by Truckers, Whiskeytown (and the first, and ONLY the first, Ryan Adams solo album "Heartbreaker"), Son Volt, Son Volt/Wilco's daddy Uncle Tupelo, Radar Bros., Golden Smog, Jayhawks, V-Roys, Scott Miller and the Commonwealth

Heh. Just noticed that the OP is a fellow Midtown Atl-ien. Midtown-Atlanta-alt-country-fi unite!

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 27
Some of my faves:

Blue Rodeo
BoDeans
Elliot Brood
Alejandero Escovedo
Wall of Voodoo
Charlie Sexton

And if you're into alt country-ish female rockers:

Lucinda Williams
Neko Case

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second Drive By Truckers. Also two of the members have good solo works, so you might want to check out Jason Isbell or Patterson Hood.

Probably should have included DBT in my original. But yeah, I have their entire catalog, plus their entire solo catalogs. Me and Jason Isbell once split a handle of Maker's Mark together after a show he played solo gig (but while a member of DBT) in Augusta, GA.

I think Cooley was/is the most underrated of the group though. "My daddy didn't pull out, but he never apologized, rock and roll means well but it can't help tellin young boys lies" is one of my favorite all-time opening lines to a song.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entire Old 97s discography. My favorite band of all-time. I've seen them live about 8 times, and Murry Hammond once leaned against my car in the parking lot. No lie!

Also: Wilco (pre-Summerteeth for maximum altcountryness), Drive by Truckers, Whiskeytown (and the first, and ONLY the first, Ryan Adams solo album "Heartbreaker"), Son Volt, Son Volt/Wilco's daddy Uncle Tupelo, Radar Bros., Golden Smog, Jayhawks, V-Roys, Scott Miller and the Commonwealth

Heh. Just noticed that the OP is a fellow Midtown Atl-ien. Midtown-Atlanta-alt-country-fi unite!

You should check out Adam Hood next time he's in Atlanta. I've been trying to get Ri Ra to book him so that I don't have to venture into flip flops (ugh) to see him play.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You say you wanna play country, but you're in a lady gaga cover band.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #25 of 27
Wow - really great stuff in this thread! Lots and lots of favorites!

Give the Magnolia Electric Company a try. I stumbled across them a few years back and ate up pretty much everything they recorded.

A little out of left field is Beachwood Sparks. They're a psychedelic/country outfit that only got off two albums. Their self-titled first album is incredible and deserves a cult following. One of the underappreciated gems out there. Give it a try - I think it'll sink some deep hooks in you.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #26 of 27
Have you heard of 16 Horsepower or Jay Munly?

Both absolutely amazing Psychedelic Country, most of their albums are very well recorded.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 27
sounds as though you would like Ryan Bingham.

a friend showed me a couple of his albums over the summer and I have become a huge fan.  Mescalito is probably the best place to start.  He had a new one out recently which is good too, Rust Junky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back