Recommend me some rock/alt-country
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fjrabon

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm after bands that kind of straddle the line between straight-forward classic type rock and alt-country. Kind of a "Southern hole in the wall bar band" type sound. I guess the most popular bands of this type would be The Black Crowes, Cracker, Cast Iron Filter, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Wallflowers, Hootie and The Blowfish, The Whigs, mid-period My Morning Jacket, early Kings of Leon, The Rolling Stones, Blitzen Trapper, Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Jayhawks, Deer Tick, etc. I could keep going, but hopefully you get the picture of the type of music I'm looking for.

I know that's a pretty long list, but I wanted to show I'm not necessarily looking for a certain genre, more kind of the borderline artists from a number of genres, and I couldn't really explain what I was looking for without just listing a lot of artists that had that "southern hole in the wall bar band" type sound. Since most music recommendation services are totally genre based and I'm not really looking to expand a particular genre, they're mostly useless.

Anyway, thanks in advance, and I hope this thread helps/entertains more than me.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 27
Gram Parsons

Buddy Miller

Rodney Crowell

Todd Snider - East Nashville Skyline

The Mekons - Fear & Whiskey

The Waco Brothers - Electric Waco Chair

Jon Langford - All The Fame Of Lofty Deeds

…maybe Shelby Lynne, though she's got a real soulful streak.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 27
Well if you put in Gram Parsons, don't neglect his band The Flying Burrito Bros. Little Feat, especially the first few albums, should also suit your category.

- Ed

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you put in Gram Parsons, don't neglect his band The Flying Burrito Bros. Little Feat, especially the first few albums, should also suit your category.

- Ed

Yeah, your recs are a little too good, as I already have both bands discographies. Thanks though.
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gram Parsons

Buddy Miller

Rodney Crowell

Todd Snider - East Nashville Skyline

The Mekons - Fear & Whiskey

The Waco Brothers - Electric Waco Chair

Jon Langford - All The Fame Of Lofty Deeds

…maybe Shelby Lynne, though she's got a real soulful streak.

Downloading a couple of those now. Thanks! Always great to see another Todd Snider fan. Been meaning to give Shelby Lynee an in depth listen for a while and I honestly have no idea how I didn't have any albums by The Mekons until I checked, as I've been aware of them for years.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 27
One mo'…that you may or may not have already:

The Costello Show (featuring Elvis Costello) - King Of America

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm after bands that kind of straddle the line between straight-forward classic type rock and alt-country. Kind of a "Southern hole in the wall bar band" type sound. I guess the most popular bands of this type would be The Black Crowes, Cracker, Cast Iron Filter, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Wallflowers, Hootie and The Blowfish, The Whigs, mid-period My Morning Jacket, early Kings of Leon, The Rolling Stones, Blitzen Trapper, Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Jayhawks, Deer Tick, etc. I could keep going, but hopefully you get the picture of the type of music I'm looking for.

In addition to Buddy Miller, Sixteen Horsepower; Grant Lee Phillips; Stacy Dean Campbell; Urban Hillbilly Quartet; Black Rebel Motorcycle club ("Howl" & "Beat the Devil's Tattoo"), Peter Case, T Bone Burnett ("The Criminal under my Hat"; Tindersticks; Willard Grant Conspiracy and Great Lake Swimmers.

Female alt. country singers with a band sound - Julie Miller (Buddy's wife); Tiff Merritt; Kathleen Edwards; Gillian Welch; Maria McKee (earlier albums, minus the last one) and her early band Lone Justice; Lucinda Williams (some albums); Amy Rigby. Gotta be more, but I'm just not thinking!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 27
Richmond Fontaine
Richard Buckner
Bobby Bare Jr.
Chris Mills
Drive-By Truckers
Ass Ponys

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 27
The Bottle Rockets - The Brooklyn Side
Wussy - Wussy
Old 97's - Satellite Rides

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 27
Zac Brown Band is my favorite so far in terms of new artists in the genre.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old 97's - Satellite Rides

One of my top 20 albums of all time.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my top 20 albums of all time.

Very cool. Then on that basis you might want to try the other two I mentioned, if you don't have them already. You can ask tru blu for a second if you're skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back