Recommend me some 'layed back' headphones with a 'massive soundstage' that will contrast well with GRADOS.
Jul 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
(skip to my question at the end if you don't want to read all of this.)

My college-fi system involves uDAC, Little Dot I+ (EF92 tubes), Grado RS-1, Grado SR-125. Don't really want to buy a new amp.

Its that 'time again' where I haven't bought any audio related products in a while. My Grado RS-1s are beautiful headphones that smash anything i've heard (though I haven't heard much other high end cans) to bits. The clarity, the 'realness' of everything, the music involvement, there is some magic that I can't describe in its sound that absolutely strips away my SR-125.

The only downside I think they have is that I think they are somewhat bad 'study' headphones. They are sooo involved, I just was never able to study with them last semester. I'd sit down to study/do homework, put on my RS-1's, and then I'd be 'rockin out' and wouldn't be able to get any studying done.

I'm looking for a good laid back 'study' headphone with a massive soundstage that will contrast well with my Grado RS-1's, but won't make me screaming to listen to my RS-1's instead. The music I listen to when I'm studying would be classical, experimental/ambient, blissed out stuff, jazzy influenced beats, laid back jazzy r&b,... (bach, beethoven, four tet, pantha du prince, Sigur Rós, Erykah Badu, gonjasufi, white hinterland.) What would you recommend? Budget: $200ish + $100 if i sell my SR-125s. Don't really want to have to buy a new amp.

Edit: I was thinking maybe Sennheiser HD595 or HD600 or HD650 would work? Would they work with my amp? "Suitable Headphone Impedance: 8 - 600 ohms"

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're looking for a laid-back can with a large soundstage, look at the aftermarket Senns - specifically, the HD600 and HD650.  I'm so Grado that I didn't quite take to the HD650 when I had mine - and it wasn't until I got to the HD800 that I found the Senn that could give my Grados a run for their money - but if you're looking for something you can comfortably run in the background, with great comfort and soundstage, I think these Senns are a real bargain.  When you buy used, you're looking at $200 to $250, which is a terrific value.

I'm also of the opinion that music is less distracting when it doesn't go overboard with treble.  The Senns are notoriously laid back.  Unlike the Grados, you won't be changing the sound levels from song to song because they're less sensitive at the top end.  It's a more seamless, painless, background experience.

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
If you're looking for a laid-back can with a large soundstage, look at the aftermarket Senns - specifically, the HD600 and HD650.  I'm so Grado that I didn't quite take to the HD650 when I had mine - and it wasn't until I got to the HD800 that I found the Senn that could give my Grados a run for their money - but if you're looking for something you can comfortably run in the background, with great comfort and soundstage, I think these Senns are a real bargain.  When you buy used, you're looking at $200 to $250, which is a terrific value.

I'm also of the opinion that music is less distracting when it doesn't go overboard with treble.  The Senns are notoriously laid back.  Unlike the Grados, you won't be changing the sound levels from song to song because they're less sensitive at the top end.  It's a more seamless, painless, background experience.

Quote:
X2 for the Senns 600 and 650.  They will contrast very well with the Grados.

You've confirmed what I was somewhat assuming. How do the 600 and 650 differ and where does the 595 come into play? And would the Senns at least 'work decently with my amp'?

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Edit: I was thinking maybe Sennheiser ... HD650 would work?

Yes they would.  Very nicely I might add.

My experience?  Limited.  My love for the HD-650's?  Big and wide.

beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 12
If you ask 50 people about the 600 vs the 650, you'll probably get 25 of each favoring one of them over the other.  They are both great cans and you won't go wrong with either of them.  They do benefit from amping because they are higher ohms.  The 595 is only 50 ohms, so doesn't really need amping.  Your amp will be able to drive any of these cans just fine. 

Quote:

You've confirmed what I was somewhat assuming. How do the 600 and 650 differ and where does the 595 come into play? And would the Senns at least 'work decently with my amp'?

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 12
I guess then it is a matter of taste as to which one is 'better.' What are the differing qualities?

I think I'm going to 'search around' a bit - i'm sure there a bunch of threads comparing these two... I think I shall end up getting the 600 or 650 though... on ebay. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any 'major' amping problems with Little Dot I+. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
If you ask 50 people about the 600 vs the 650, you'll probably get 25 of each favoring one of them over the other.  They are both great cans and you won't go wrong with either of them.  They do benefit from amping because they are higher ohms.  The 595 is only 50 ohms, so doesn't really need amping.  Your amp will be able to drive any of these cans just fine. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 12
No problem.  Be sure to report back once you get some new cans and tell us of your impressions.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 12
New question: supposing i get the HD650 and I am using them alongside of my Grado RS-1s - both sharing my Little Dot I+ - would I have to change the gain every time i switch between the headphones??

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 12
If the efficiency and the resistance are different, you will most likely have to adjust the volume gain.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 12
My analogy would be two vehicles going up the same hill, each powered by the engine that came stock with the smaller vehicle.  It can be done but not efficently.

When I go up a steep hill in my eighty-eight hundred pound service pick-up truck, powered by a V-10, I have no hesitation in dropping that sucker in low (increasing the gain) to slowly climb the hill.

- would I have to change the gain every time i switch between the headphones??

I'd say it's pretty much the same with headphones.  I'd recommend changing the gain every time you switch headphones if you want to get the best sound quality.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back