recommend me some highly melodic and thrilling piano concertos
Sep 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi dear head fiers. haven't been here for some time.  my most loved piano concerto ever,one which i highly praise since i was a little boy is the chopin no 1.  another great piano concertos i love is the tchaikovsky no 1.  and schulman no 1  grieg no 1 is also great and rachmaninov no 3.

i would really like to listen to some more great piano concertos like this.  can you recommend me some?  it is important for them to be very melodic,thrilling..i want to cry!  like i do everytime when listening to my beloved chopin no 1.

thanks!

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Well I haven't been here for a long, long time. Nice to see some serious interest in serious music. Ok - you want exciting, melodic piano concertos. You have the basics, but in the past there were many concertos that well-known pianists included in programs because they are real showpieces.

Anton Rubinstein: piano concertos 3, 4, and 5 are just thrilling.
The Scharwenka concertos are well worth your time.
And then there are the two by Edward McDowell that are quite fine.
Other names to look for: Moszkowski, Henselt, Raff and Stenhammer.
Now if you like really lyrical, sensuously beautiful, but lower voltage, try Nights in the Gardens of Spain by Manuel de Falla.

Happy Listening!

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 8
The Shearing Piano

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 8
A little off-genre, but give Oscar Peterson a listen. He does amazing things with a piano.

You might love him and then get pulled into a new genre. :)

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is a wonderful work for orchestral/piano. It very much plays like a piano concerto. Especially the 18th variation, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music you'll ever hear.

Here is the 18th...

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Horowitz in Moscow got me interested in Liszt and Rachmaninov, for which I'm now going to have to hunt down some good recordings of their music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back