Recommend me some albums that must be heard on vinyl
Nov 6, 2006 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
Since setting up an analog system I've been hunting for things to show it off with. So far my new OK Computer and garage sale Brothers in Arms are my reference discs. I have the the 30th anniversary DSOTM coming in the mail. I understand Led Zepplin sounds better on vinyl; I'd also like something a bit more natural, maybe some classical?

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Pink Floyd - THE WALL

I had the vinyl version first, and loved it.

Then CD's came out, ditched the vinyl, loved the CD.. AT FIRST..

as the years went by though, it started to sound kind of bland.

Heard the remasters.. better.. but still..

then I recently re-aquired a vinyl copy of THE WALL.

AHHHHH YES.. it was like, well.. seeing an old friend, drinking a favorite beer you haven't had in years, finally fitting into an old pair of jeans you forgot about.. it was comforatable, soothing and so easy on my ears...

I think.. the late 70's were the height of analog recording before everything went digital.. and THE WALL on vinyl shows this so well.

Another favorite vinyl of mine is Donald Fagan's THE NIGHTFLY. Haven't really heard the cd, but I don't feel like I need to.

and of course..

SPIDERLAND by Slint.. because "This recording is meant to be listened to on vinyl"

-jar

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 21
Alyson Moyet - Alf. The CD doesnt even come close.
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
REM - Automatic For the People (180 gram destroys the CD)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (None of the various remasters I've heard beat even the stock vinyl, which you can get for pennies, this applies for most of Oldfields earlier works, especially if you can get a pre-quad remastering version of Hergest Ridge.)
Jethro Tull - Any album
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Any Album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar

Another favorite(sic) vinyl of mine is Donald Fagan's THE NIGHTFLY.

-jar

The Nightfly is one of the best CDs ever, the LP offers a comparitively small improvement but it is there.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by macm75
Show off? All LP's are show off relative to CD's. If you have a choice, just buy vinyl and enjoy.

x2 Pretty much everything sounds better on vinyl, at least in $ for $ analog versus digital rig comparisons.

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat. The title track has such amazing bass, so rich and textured. Makes me feel good anytime day or night.

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 21
Any album that was released originally on vinyl will sound BETTER on vinyl, save for a VERY few number of exceptions.

Takk by Sigur Ros is a contemporary band that is heard better on vinyl, as their albums are recorded analog, and the packaging is just incredibly beautiful. Not one band, in my experience, has put more effort into the artistic expression of the LP packaging. What they do to both the LPs themselves and the packaging sleeves/boxes is simply phenomenal.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 21
If you can find Neil Young's After the Gold Rush with the letters RE1 or RE2 in the dead wax (the runout groove at the end), pick it up. You have never heard the album sound like this, I guarantee it. Simply amazing - will make you a vinyl devotee for life. These early pressings are still out there and easy to find.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alyson Moyet - Alf. The CD doesnt even come close.
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
REM - Automatic For the People (180 gram destroys the CD)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (None of the various remasters I've heard beat even the stock vinyl, which you can get for pennies, this applies for most of Oldfields earlier works, especially if you can get a pre-quad remastering version of Hergest Ridge.)
Jethro Tull - Any album
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Any Album.

The Nightfly is one of the best CDs ever, the LP offers a comparitively small improvement but it is there.

I'm having hard time believing that vinyl could beat the DVD-A of Rumours, especially considering all the bonus material included.

But I'll bet it won't cost me much to find out. Now I'm officially on the lookout.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 21
My (used) copy of ...Gold Rush has those letters on the label itself (the sticker in the centre of the record (RS6383 31,009 RE2), but in the dead wax it has etched the same thing but instead of the 'RE2' part, it has '1A'. I'm guessing this is the same as what you mean, but am slightly curious. No matter, it sounds excellent.

To the OP, you won't have trouble these days finding great vinyl as others have mentioned, but two that stick out as essentials are My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and the 4 Men With Beards reissue of Television's Marquee Moon. I'm sure there are loads more, but you're honestly better off with music you know you like. You won't have trouble finding stuff.

Edit to say that although I haven't heard any digital hi-rez versions of Rumours but I did have the good fortune of finding mint copies of Fleetwood Mac's big three albums a while ago, and they sound great. Cost maybe $13 for all three. I could tell whoever had them before treated them well b/c they all came in aftermarket non-abrasive sleeves.... one of the actually had this thing that had 'Realistic Anti-Static Sleeve' printed on it... it's still in there, and the thing looks just like a giant Zip-lock sandwich bag. That was quite the used vinyl haul that day, I found other great stuff too. I think I may have to go by that store today.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also like something a bit more natural, maybe some classical?

If you can find MFSL John Klemmer - Touch, it sounds very nice on vinyl.

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 21
Herbert von Karajan's enginnering ideas seem a little more natural on LP than on CD

His 1962 Beethoven symphony set sold really well, its fairly easy to find as Vinyl goes.

Bruno Walter's Columbia stuff is what he is known for today, go ahead and indulge.

Ditto for George Szell, Eugene Ormandy, and Leonard Bernstein. Columbia has some fabulous stuff with Ormandy that will NEVER be released on CD if you can find it!

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 21
Stravinsky Firebird on 45. I paid like $100 for my copy (now sold along with my turntable), but I have yet to hear anything as "analog" as that recording. 45 sounds better than 33.

Here's a cheaper version of same recording:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...&section=music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back