Recommend me some albums that must be heard on vinyl
Nov 21, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #16 of 21
For great new music on decently priced new vinyl check out Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, and The Decemberists. All three put out high quality vinyl priced around $10 a record. It's always nice to show off the system with clean records and great music.

My internet shop of choice for this type of music is Insound. http://www.insound.com

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any album that was released originally on vinyl will sound BETTER on vinyl, save for a VERY few number of exceptions.

Takk by Sigur Ros is a contemporary band that is heard better on vinyl, as their albums are recorded analog, and the packaging is just incredibly beautiful. Not one band, in my experience, has put more effort into the artistic expression of the LP packaging. What they do to both the LPs themselves and the packaging sleeves/boxes is simply phenomenal.

This time I have to agree with Aman. Agaetis Byrjun is also far better on vinyl, I meddled a week to rip it to 24/96. Their vynil is distinctively different, no smearing at all.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #18 of 21
esii3.jpg

Es - Sateenkaarisuudelma

Lovely, only available on vinyl!

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 21
Another classic recording that sounds unbelievably better on vinyl is Joni Mitchell's For the Roses.

Here are some others that come to the top of my mind, from a variety of genres:

Joe Jackson Night and Day

Sufjan Stevens Illinois

Manhattan Transfer Extensions

Elton John The Captain and the Kid

Keith Jarrett Solo Concerts Bremen Lausanne
...the list goes on and on really. I used to believe that vinyl could sound better than CDs under the best circumstances. Now, after much listening with a great system, I believe that good sounding vinyl is the rule, and good sounding CDs are the exception. (This of course assumes vinyl in reasonably good shape, although that's not as hard to accomplish as one might believe). With one caveat: As a general rule I think CDs are the way to go for symphonic music, from a purely sonic perspective.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 21
John Haitt - Bring The Family (the original A&M vinyl release)

Nanci Griffth - Storms (the original MCA vinyl)

George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars - T.AP.O,A.F.O.M. -the vinyl is red and the bass is real!!

Chris McGregor Brotherhood Of Breath - Country Cooking - English big band jazz the cooks up a storm.

Conrad Silvert Presents Jazz At The Opera House - you'll have to get this one on vinyl because it's never been released on CD. This two LP set live set from 1982 features perhaps the best recorded example of Charlie Haden's normally poorly recorded bass that I know of. Worth hunting down to hear Haden's walking bass anchoring a killer version of Wayne Shorter's "Footprints" which also features Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Tony Williams and Bobby Hutcherson - an all analog recording.

Dave Holland Quartet - Conference Of The Birds - one of the best free jazz records of all time and first class sound to boot.

David Grisman - Acousticity - all acoustic, all analog and all pleasure

Charles Mingus - Cumbia & Jazz Fusion - the "Cumbia & Jazz Fusion" side has reference quality sound.

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 21
These are some of my favorite pieces of vinyl:
  1. Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (Classic Records 180g)
  2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  3. Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good (MFSL)
  4. The Eagles - Hotel California (DCC 180g)
  5. Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (MFSL 180g)
  6. John Lennon - Imagine (MFSL 180g)
  7. The Beatles - The White Album (160g Japanese pressing)
  8. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers (MFSL)
  9. The Beatles - Abbey Road (MFSL)
  10. Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority (MFSL)
  11. Paul McCartney - RAM (Original Capital label)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back