recommend me some 150-200 gift iems
Jun 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pi3guy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, have been busy for a few months, also worried about my wallet, so haven't posted in a while.

I'm looking for 150-200usd gift iems for an owner of some metro-fis

This person is a very close friend so want to get him a nice birthday present

Criteria:
Sound quality, more bass than RE0
Durabilty/Reliability
Comfort
Packaging

Prefer to stick to american/european brands like ultimate ears, sennheiser, etc.

Currently considering
Monster Turbine (Really like the packaging/ is durability good?)
Phonak PFE (I used to own these, worried about durabilty, but heard has been improved)
Sennheiser IE7
Is it still possible to get Triple fi's under 200?
Westone 1 (Unsure about sq)
Futuresonic M5
Klipsch X5 

I think RE0s are going to be too bass light, so no ER4S/ Ck10 guys
Any other's I should be considering? I am pretty familiar (read the reviews) with the iems in this market, so mostly looking for developments in the last 2-3 months (Price drops, new iems, and such)

Thanks

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Fischer Audio DBA-02, Radius DDM. But those are not European brand. Those two are cheap though, for their great sound. Especially the DDM, it should easily best some of those earphones in your list. Check out the reviews. Monster Pro series are also not bad, overall they are more worth it than the Turbines. I think there is also Klipsch Custom 3 (out of production), which is selling for a cheap price now. Check out ClieOS's review and IjokerI's reviews too.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Let me cast another vote for the DBA-02s, really excellent sounding.  Also, there's a special edition RE-ZERO that's supposed to essentially be the RE0 with increased bass response.  I sure know I'm getting them.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 15
another vote for Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R),  Great  sounding iems, superb price!
Review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486080/review-dual-dynamic-driver-radius-hp-twf11r-inner-earphone-pleasure-pleasure-little-treasure

You can get this in the USA from a dealer (ALO Audio located in Oregon) with warranty!!

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 15
I would be really careful buying the DDM as a gift. Though they sound excellent, the fit is definitely not for everyone and not everyone will be as persistent with it as they guys (and gals) around here. I've had a lot of IEMs (probably over a hundred by now) and none of them have given me as much trouble as the Radii.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 15

Ijokerl,

You must be one of the lucky one else... Majority of "guys and gals on this forum have had no or non substantial issue with the fit, and even if experienced some discomfort, only temporarily and due to the eartips that come with the Radius DDMs in the package. (I personally do not like those tips very much myself and prefer using comply instead.)
Nevertheless, each and every one has its own shapes and sizes..  here when The theory of "Try and Buy" comes in handy....
Quote:
I would be really careful buying the DDM as a gift. Though they sound excellent, the fit is definitely not for everyone and not everyone will be as persistent with it as they guys (and gals) around here. I've had a lot of IEMs (probably over a hundred by now) and none of them have given me as much trouble as the Radii.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 15
thanks for the responses guys. Yes I have read all of joker's reviews. No love for the westones?
checked out the radius, look a little too gaudy for the giftee's taste. I think something a little more subdued would be better, which is a reason I'm not really considering the gold turbine pros.

I guess I should point out that this guy isn't an audiophile, so it doesn't need to be the "best" sound. Being the best is a bonus, but I would much prefer "fairly decent" sound for the pricerange paired with excellent comfort and durability.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Voting for IE7. I think it's a very 'likeable' IEM for someone who isn't an audiophile, thanks to its supposed clear sound and recognized bass response.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 15
i also give a vote for the IE7, and would also recommend the westone 1

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I just saw ie7's for 170 no tax/ free shipping, is that a good price? (usd)

If it is from authorize reseller and new, it's a good deal. If it is not from authorize reseller, better be careful. Cuz lots of fakes almost identical to a real ones are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back