recommend me music similar to modest mouse, the shins, the flaming lips, etc..
Nov 9, 2004 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
help!

i need some recommendations for good music - following the success of my 'recommend me some female music' thread (here), once again, i turn to you, the head-fier to do what must be done.
biggrin.gif

some background info: i have a voucher that will allow me to buy 3 albums of my choice from an online retailer. i would like something along these lines of these albums, which i already own -

ambulance ltd - ambulance ltd
the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
the flaming lips - soft bulletin
interpol - antics
franz ferdinand - franz ferdinand
snow patrol - final straw
the shins - chutes too narrow
the shins - oh, inverted world
modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news

i would really prefer recommendations that do not divert from this rough genre of music (whatever it is..
confused.gif
).

many thanks in advance, fellow netizens..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 44
My wife would be able to give you some good suggestions here. I'll try to remember to ask her tonight.

Deviating a little bit from what you listed, I would suggest The Notwist and The Postal Service.
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 44
Check out the self-titled first Stephen Malkmus solo album, then move back through Pavement's offerings.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 44
the best modest mouse stuff is
long drive for someone with nothing to think about
lonesome crowded west
moon and antartica

check out guided by voices: bee thousand

or if you really wanna get mega indie: pitchforkmedia.com

more pompous, hipster tight jacketed listening then you can shake a stick at!

and if you really want some street cred:
fugazi's the argument

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 44
Yeah... lonesome crowded west is great, definately my favourite.

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 44
My latest addiction, Pinback Summer In Abaddon. Progressive indie rock? This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Getting close to album of the year for me - top 5 for sure. Lots of time spent on infinite repeat around here lately. And definitely check out the new one from Joseph Arthur called Our Shadows Will Remain. Very nice and very classy
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 44
Shins - I first heard these guys about 4 years ago in Lubbock, TX. College radio station use to play their material alot. Contrary to popular belief, they arent from the west coast or seattle. They're from Albuquerque, NM. Anyways, I always thought "Oh!, Inverted World" sounded similar to some of syd barrets solo material.

Modest Mouse - Early material is the best (IMO). long drive....., lonesome crowded west. Some people compare to the pixies and/or pavement.

You gotta check out Broken Social Scene. Think youd like em

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 44
you really really really should check out DESERTER'S SONGS by Mercury Rev.

should be a slam-dunk for ya. Great album of atmospheric orchestral pop.

-jar

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 44
REM - Document
REM - Life's Rich Pageant

and hmm, Robyn Hitchcock - Globe of Frogs.

I dunno, they might not have even been influences of Modest Mouse, et. al., but when I hear Modest Mouse, these kinds of canoodling albums come to mind.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 44
The Arcade Fire's "Funeral" which came out a couple months ago is very, very good. The story is that band members' family members kept dying, so much of the album is about life and death and such, but more in that uplifiting kind of way than that depressing kind of way. Beyond that (and more importantly) all the songs are very catchy songs with smart lyrics. Also, two singers (male and female) gives good variety and more flavor to the album as a whole. At any rate, check it out.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 44
If you like Franz Ferdinand, check out the OG's of that style (who are way way better): Gang of Four. Pick up Hundred Flowers Bloom, 2CD best of with excellent remastering. It will send you off looking for more Gang of Four, I have recos for remastered versions if you'll want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back