recommend me music similar to modest mouse, the shins, the flaming lips, etc..
Nov 10, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
My wife would be able to give you some good suggestions here. I'll try to remember to ask her tonight.

Well I asked the wife and she says:
interpol - turn on the bright lights
ugly cassanova - sharpen your teeth
the walkmen - bows & arrows

She also added that 'his life isnt even complete if he doesnt have the first interpol!'

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 44
I'll second the "Turn on the Bright Lights" recommendation. A way better album in most people's opinions (including mine).

Also, if you like Franz Ferdinand, why not check out their latest opening act on tour, the Futureheads? Their self-titled debut is a nice combination of pop and punk (not in the MTV kind of way, but in the Ganf of Four meets the Buzzcocks kind of way). One of my favorites so far of this year.

Nov 10, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 44
I hate The Futurehead for some reason
icon10.gif

I guess I've heard much more better albums that has caused me to hate them.

The Libertines - The Libertines
The Thrills - So Much For The City
The Thrills - Let's Battle Bohemian
Razorlight - Up All Night
Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself
Hope of the States - The Lost Riot

Nov 10, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
My latest addiction, Pinback Summer In Abaddon.

Yes! Amazing album, I can't even decide if it's their best though. I like the other albums so much. This is even a band where I fall in love with their EP's, a format I usually hate.

I saw this band just over a week ago here in FL. Great show, and I'd never realized the technique behind this great music. Basically Armisted Burwell Smith IV (the bass player, coolest name ever) plays his bass like a rhythm guitar. It gives the music a really chunky but smooth bass sound. Very captivating music. At the show I picked up their most recent tour EP, which has several versions of their songs played with the filled out live band in the studio. On their regular albums it's just AB Smith IV and Rob Crow, with quite a bit of drum machine goodness (trust me, with the rest of the amazing music you won't notice the cheesy percussion). The full band adds a drummer and two members who both switch off keyboards and guitar, as well as backing vocals.

Definitely pick up Summer in Abaddon, and Interpol's Turn On the Bright Lights. I'd say you should definitely hear Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica. It's my favorite MM album.

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 44
thank you so very much everyone for the recommendations so far.

am soulseek-ing as i speak right now. so far i like most of what i hear - thank you especially philodox (or should i say your wonderful wife
wink.gif
) and anyone who directed me towards the earlier modest mouse albums for their recommendations.

in the meantime, keep those those recommendations coming!
biggrin.gif

ps - for those abt to launch a diatribe on how p2p kills independent music labels and artistes (like the many listed in this thread), let me take the time to assure you that: 1. i buy what i like and 2. i delete what i dont.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 44
Yeah, she is pretty great. If only I could get her to give a rats ass about headphones!
biggrin.gif

Then again, she doesnt complain when I watch bad movies any more... she just asks for my 'big black headphones' and listens to music on the computer. I always take the time to hook up my PIMETA for her though and she is so impatient... but I just cant have her driving my K271S' from a SB Live Value.
eek.gif

Let me know if you try the notwist as that was my only recommendation [get neon golden or shrink]. Everything else that I mentioned was introduced to me through her or recommended by her. [I havent even sat down and listened to ugly cassanova or the watchmen yet
redface.gif
]

EDIT: oh, and if you do like the notwist I can reccomend more similar music
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
Also, if you like Franz Ferdinand, why not check out their latest opening act on tour, the Futureheads? Their self-titled debut is a nice combination of pop and punk (not in the MTV kind of way, but in the Ganf of Four meets the Buzzcocks kind of way). One of my favorites so far of this year.

Yeah, really fun album. More like early XTC with only a little Gang of Four and Buzzcocks mixed in. Probably not worthy of all the hype, but you could surely say that about Franz Ferdinand as well. While I don't often agree with Markl, it does sound like in this case the original poster might be better served by checking out some of their influences since he seems to be a little new to this whole segment of rock music. Entertainment! followed by Singles Going Steady and English Settlement should set the stage nicely for the Futureheads
smily_headphones1.gif

But like I said, I'm really diggin it too!

Nov 11, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #28 of 44
Davey-

I was wondering...I've really been getting into this punk/post-punk thing and have recently picked up a couple CDs that you've mentioned. I just got Singles going Steady a week or two ago and before that I got Skylarking (not exactly punk at all but I love the band). I own Entertainment! and Solid Gold by Gang of Four and really enjoy them. My question is, if I really like this punk/post-punk stuff (esp. Gang of Four), what more should I get? I've heard Drums & Wires, Black Sea, and English Settlement are all worth owning, what's your take? And what other bands are there in the Gang of Four/Buzzcocks vein? I've got Marquee Moon as well which is more singular than anything else I've mentioned, in my opinion, but what else from 1977 onwards?

Thanks!

~Jordan

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #29 of 44
wow. i am really enjoying the earlier modest mouse albums.

:then prays that usps doesnt screw up with his package:

wink.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

I was wondering...I've really been getting into this punk/post-punk thing and have recently picked up a couple CDs that you've mentioned. I just got Singles going Steady a week or two ago and before that I got Skylarking (not exactly punk at all but I love the band). I own Entertainment! and Solid Gold by Gang of Four and really enjoy them. My question is, if I really like this punk/post-punk stuff (esp. Gang of Four), what more should I get? I've heard Drums & Wires, Black Sea, and English Settlement are all worth owning, what's your take? And what other bands are there in the Gang of Four/Buzzcocks vein? I've got Marquee Moon as well which is more singular than anything else I've mentioned, in my opinion, but what else from 1977 onwards?

I'll take a crack at it:

All XTC is GREAT, but they evolved a lot over the years. Except for fist two albums White Music and Go 2, and Mummer which aren't essential. I'd rank them in following order:

1. Black Sea
2. English Settlement
3. Skylarking
4. Apple Venus Vol. 1
5. Big Express
6. Drums & Wires
7. Nonsuch
8. Oranges and Lemons

Look for the recent remasters on caroline.

Joy Division:
This legendary group is a MUST. Once you hear one, you're just going to want them all. Best bet is the box set Heart + Soul, contains virtually all their recorded output. In lieu of that, 1995 comp Permanent. Their original albums (only 2 of them, but lots of extra material exists that's just as good) have not been remastered yet.

The Cure:
Great post-punk mope-rock band with great pop songs. Entire catalog being remastered soon. They have two comps out now that have good sound, Galore from 1997, and a more recent comp, I forget the title.

Wire:
Classic 1st 3 albums: Pink Flag, Chairs Missing, and 154. Available in remastered form, I believe they are from '94. Anyway, they have lots of bonus tracks, make sure to hunt these down, earlier ones don't sound as good.

No Thanks! The Punk Rock rebellion 4Cd box set on Rhino. Darn near definitive box set (minus Sex Pistols) of the whole thing. Typical excellent Rhino mastering quality, despite most of the recordings being sketchy quality.

Ramones: Hey Ho Let's Go 2CD anthology on Rhino. Fun stuff, irresistable!

The Clash: 2CD Essential Clash on Sony from a couple years ago. Some of the best rock ever made.

Talking Heads: Once In A Lifetime 3CD box set, the only way to go for this group, fantastic Bob ludwig remastering.

Public Image LTD.-- The group they invented the term "post punk" for as this is Johnny Rotten's band after Sex Pistols. Check out the 3CD Plastic Box compilation.

Elvis Costello-- check out the recent 2CD best of on Rhino.

The Fall- 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong, 2CD compilation. UK Punk rock's poet laureate.

Patti Smith-- Land 2CD compilation. USA's punk rock poet laureate.

The Jam-- recent best of comp, forget the title.

Sheesh I could go on and on. So much good classic music from this era.

orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back