Recommend me headphones based on my needs
Nov 7, 2007 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rimwalker

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been rather oblivious to the headphone world out there for quite some time now and I thought I might need to jump in for a spell just to see what I've been missing, especially since my ear for audio and taste in music has vastly improved since the last time I went shopping for headphones. I've skimped away the past year or so using V-Moda Vibes (that are beginning to deteriorate), which aren't suitable for non-portable use.

My birthday is coming up so I have an excuse to use a ridiculously high amount of money on headphones. Of course, ridiculously expensive to me is probably next to nothing compared to you audiophiles out there. I'm only 14 (15 in two weeks) and sound quality is very important to me, although not important enough to devote the very little money I have on it.

Anyway, I have several areas where I will be a little picky for the headphones I'd like to use and areas where I won't give a crap.

I want these headphones to: have a natural tone, have a versatile style, have a very detailed sound, have a good sound while still independent of an amp, have a clear but not overpowering bass, have an open style (so I can hear when dinner is ready), and it must be sub-$150.

Areas I don't care: they can be whatever size, they don't have to be the most comfortable, and they don't have to look stylish.

My musical tastes include: heavy metal (especially progressive metal and folk metal), progressive rock, post-rock, jazz fusion, and classical.

Thanks in advance and I hope I provided all the necessary information.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 22
Sounds like you're leaning towards the AKG side? Personally, I don't have experience so you should wait till sombody with personal experience comes to this thread.

On the other hand, I have the MS1's and from what I've heard, they are more neutral than the signature Grados, and they match your criteria except they might be a little weak on the bass side. But, the bass is still good and it will fit your musical taste pretty well.

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 22
From looking at various reviews on the net, and the Alessandro website, the MS-1's seem to be perfect for what I'm looking for.

If I perhaps save up, will the MS-2's be a sufficient improvement? I'm not exactly sure if I want to do that, but this line of headphones could be the right tools for the job. If MS-1's are so good, it's a wonder how robust the MS-2's will be. $150 is already kind of pushing it though, as headphones aren't the only thing I want to end up buying.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimwalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have an open style (so I can hear when dinner is ready)

Lol I totally understand you there!
With my headphones though, I still can't hear when dinners ready
frown.gif

Maybe I listen too loud?

I also fully recommend the MS1's. They're REALLY good for rock and get you totally into the music. The soundstage isn't that good, but it has lovely sparkly treble that makes acoustic guitar sound INCREDIBLE. They don't do too good with classical though, due to the lack of soundstage, but they do everything else PERFECT. I think I may prefer them more than my HD580's.

Buy the HD414 pads from Sennheiser as well. You can replace the stock pads with them and they improve the sound and comfort alot (IMO, they also improve the looks
biggrin.gif
)

Oh and $150? The MS1's are $99USD shipped to anywhere in the world from http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html. Where you live?

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 22
No, the MS1s and 595s are boring, they suck for metal. Go for the Goldring DR150 from Audio Advisor, or and SR-80 with the discount from TTVJ, or a used pair of DT770s, or an RP-21, RP-22X, or an ES7.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about going for audio technica air series ad900

Yeah if you can find some of the higher-end cans at a cheaper price that's good too.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Paccioli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the MS1s and 595s are boring, they suck for metal. Go for the Goldring DR150 from Audio Advisor, or and SR-80 with the discount from TTVJ, or a used pair of DT770s, or an RP-21, RP-22X, or an ES7.

What's this TTVJ discount you mentioned?

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimwalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From looking at various reviews on the net, and the Alessandro website, the MS-1's seem to be perfect for what I'm looking for.

If I perhaps save up, will the MS-2's be a sufficient improvement? I'm not exactly sure if I want to do that, but this line of headphones could be the right tools for the job. If MS-1's are so good, it's a wonder how robust the MS-2's will be. $150 is already kind of pushing it though, as headphones aren't the only thing I want to end up buying.

The MS2i is an OUTSTANDING headphone and well worth the money. They also sound good unamped (though certainly improve greatly with matched components). Whether or not you'd like to make the jump is completely up to you, of course, but they are an incredible headphone and you'd be happy for a very, very long time with them

Same is true for many headphones in the MS1 range (including the MS1 itself), so your mileage may vary.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 22
i put my vote in for the MS-1s they are great and i am sad to see them go. ( I just sold) they are great for high energy music with fast response and good detail. looking more closely at the OP these will fit your bill perfectly.

GO MS-1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back