Recommend me a power cable for my WA6 SE
Nov 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ramarge3653

New Head-Fier
I'm new, I have a WA6 SE coming in soon and I wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have a spare Audioquest NRG-4 that I was planning on using, but I just wanted some opinions for other power cable options.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 5
"The author refers to himself as a "proponent of high-end cords", which is silly because "knob" is much easier to spell and has the same meaning."

Ahahahaha. Oh god. That one got me. 

Also, I'd say just get yourself a nice medical grade cable and be done with it. They have superior connectors and are still cheap and designed to do essentially the same thing 'audiophile' cables are. But if you really want one made and called for audio I hear the Venom 3 is nice...

Medical Grade: $10 - $15
Venom 3: $99

EDIT: Or Monoprice, of course.
Quote:

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Make sure you buy something with a UL rating.

One "high-end" manufacturer, apparently, has a difficult time determining the difference between hot and neutral with power cords. If those are reversed, then you can bypass the safety fuse and end up with an electrically hot chassis if something goes wrong. That can turn you into the ground connection. Not advisable with high voltage.

So look for a UL rating. If there is no UL rating, ask why. If you don't get a good answer, beware.

Personally, I get UL rated used power cables for $1 each at a local swapmeet. They're fine.

If you're concerned about EFI/RFI, you can get a filter for $3-$5 at places like Digikey and Mouser. If you want to take noise off the line, pick up a $50 isolation transformer. The side benefit to those is that they're proven to work. Not just hype, claims and testimonials.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Any particular one you'd recommend? I'm looking into something that won't affect/only benefit my system power wise. I'm considering a rack mount Brick Wall unit. I'm mainly looking for clean surge protection rather than 'clean power)...But something that improves sound is always welcome.

Quote:
Make sure you buy something with a UL rating.

One "high-end" manufacturer, apparently, has a difficult time determining the difference between hot and neutral with power cords. If those are reversed, then you can bypass the safety fuse and end up with an electrically hot chassis if something goes wrong. That can turn you into the ground connection. Not advisable with high voltage.

So look for a UL rating. If there is no UL rating, ask why. If you don't get a good answer, beware.

Personally, I get UL rated used power cables for $1 each at a local swapmeet. They're fine.

If you're concerned about EFI/RFI, you can get a filter for $3-$5 at places like Digikey and Mouser. If you want to take noise off the line, pick up a $50 isolation transformer. The side benefit to those is that they're proven to work. Not just hype, claims and testimonials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back