Recommend me a high quality recording of Carmina Burana
Aug 6, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #16 of 57
I like this year's version by EMI featuring Simon Rattle and the Berliner Philharmoniker.

Anyone wanting my mint Blomstedt CD version on the London label can have it for $8 shipped (includes paypal fees to me) - PM me.

Aug 10, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 57
Lots of good recommendations but after listening to sound samples on them and many others I ordered this one which I found to be the most pleasing to my ears.

Many of the others I felt the altos and sopranos sounded a bit too "allegro" in many of the slower segments and some of their dynamics seemed a somewhat over pronounced IMO

Aug 11, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #19 of 57
Jochum is very good. But Blomstedt is even better.

Aug 11, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #20 of 57
Aug 11, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #21 of 57
Hands down, the Thielemann/DG. I didn't "get" this piece, until I heard this version of it (only liked the O Fortuna sections; on this one, I liked the whole thing).

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 57
Thank you guys... I don't know how many versions I will buy now...
tongue.gif

I was going to post exactly the same question as the OP, but as good head-fi'er, I searched first...

I have a dozen windows now opened, with all your suggestions (apart from the very expensive one from Stokowski... 49$!
blink.gif
). Actually, I am listening to the Carmina Burana while searching
icon10.gif
But I have no idea what version it is... I just got it somewhere, somewhen... I am not educated at all in classical music, so please excuse my ignorance...

All this started when I went with my girlfriend to a concert here in Darmstadt (University orchesta and chore) few weeks ago, and it was fantastic. I had never heard it in its full dimension before (i.e., REAL). Moreover, it took place in an interior "patio" of the palace of Darmstadt. The acoustics were great, and the sight also
cool.gif
Of course, the performance was not perfect, but everthing else made up for it.

Now I want to recreate the even at home, but I need a good recording first
tongue.gif
BTW, this one I really prefer to listen to via loudspeakers, and not headphones (my gear: Cambridge Audio Azur 640, amp & cdp, Castle Richmond 3i/Sennheiser HD650... Just in case this is the reason for my preference...).

Regards,

Alberto

PS: I am really spoiled by the choice!! I never thought I would buy more than one copy of an album (no, not even DSOM), but I am very tempted here... So tempted to try them all, and keep the ones I like
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 57
Hey I love it when old threads come back to life.

I was lucky in that I was able to get to know Carmina Burana before I'd ever heard "O Fortuna" - so to me, it was *all* new.. unlike, say, Strauss' ZARATHUSTRA.. where nearly everyone on the planet has heard the introduction, but hardly anyone knows the rest of the work.

When I first heard "O Fortuna" used in movie or commercial or something, I was like, "that's cool" -- then I heard it.. again.. and again.. and again.. and again, and then I'm like, give it a rest people!! there's other great music out there for you to steal!!

smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 57
Robert Shaw's recording with Hakan Hagegard, Judith Blegen, and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is the best recording I've ever heard (and I've listented to a LOT), period, end of story. It's the least harsh, most beautiful, and one of the most full and clean recordings I've heard period.

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 57
I'm looking forward to the release of the new Naxos version in March. Link to NPR bite on it here.

Oh, and there is an iTunes Music Store sampler of some of the tracks from the new Naxos release but a bit of a waste unless you really need a preview and are obsessed with Naxos (like me).

--Chris

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #27 of 57
Incredible instrumentation on that one, but Alsop doesn't put enough focus on the chorus.

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my opinion, the best recording is this one. it's hard to beat Eugen Jochum.

Again, this is probably the best

Robert Shaw's Telarc Perfomance is also impressive

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 57
Geez, it's only taken me what, 15 years to figure out what piece of music i was hearing? Geez. Thank goodness for the search function!

Anyways, i've decided to get the Jochum version of Carmina Burana to start. My question is, is there a difference between the DG Galleria version and the DG the originals version? It appears to be the same performance, it just comes down to a question of transfer quality.

Thanx in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back