Recommend me a high quality recording of Carmina Burana
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #48 of 57
Here is what I have:

1. The Ormandy is good, although a bit older and may not be for everyone. Love the chorus.
2. Bloomstedt - fabulous version. You can really hear everything - clarity is superb. I prefer it a bit weightier, but you will hear passages here that you never noticed in other versions. Singing is excellent.
3. Ozawa/BPO - Spectacular sound.

But there really are a good dozen versions that shoud satisfy most everyone. Many have already been mentioned

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #50 of 57
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 57
The past days I have been doing some comparations between the versions I have and I prefer the DG Galleria version. The "originals" version has something strange that substracts some of the emotion.

I had the 'originals' version (1995)  for a while but only recently came across the 'galleria' version (1988).  I shared carlosgp's opinion -- the 1995 'originals' version seems to lack quite a bit of the viseral emotional impact of the 1988 version.
Seems to my ears that the 1995 version was a remix with just a bit too much added reverberation.  The 1988 version seems to have kept more of the crisp, lean sound of a multi-channel, close-miked studio recording.  To my ears, the crisp, lean sound brings out more of the 'unvarnished', 'unbridled', 'frolicking' rhythmic energy that really distinguishes the Jochum performance.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #53 of 57
My favourite is Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Brighton Festival Chorus, Antal Doráti, 1976. It's an absolute gem.

[edit]
For a modern recording, I recommend the Hallé Ochestra recording from the 1980s, conducted by Maurice Handford. In fact, this is the one I listen to the most. Really good soloists like Sheila Armstrong, and and excellent choir - full of energy.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #54 of 57
+1 for Philly/Ormandy

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #57 of 57
  Another vote for Blomstedt.

yes, a fine one - I have it

However, you really should consider this one  (can download on the right torrent site)

2014 release by Anima Eterna Brugge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back