Recommend me a high quality recording of Carmina Burana
Jul 15, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 57
The past days I have been doing some comparations between the versions I have and I prefer the DG Galleria version. The "originals" version has something strange that substracts some of the emotion.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is, is there a difference between the DG Galleria version and the DG the originals version? It appears to be the same performance, it just comes down to a question of transfer quality.
Thanx in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The past days I have been doing some comparations between the versions I have and I prefer the DG Galleria version. The "originals" version has something strange that substracts some of the emotion.

Carlospg, thanks for the input. I got the DG Galleria version from my sister as Christmas present. I was wondering what the difference with the "originals" should be, so I wrote to DG. The answer:

The Galleria version was made with 16 bits, and the Originals with 23 bits (yes, 23... weird, isn't it?). Thus, the latter should be better from the technological point of view.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 57
The first time I heard Carmina Burana it was the Ormandy version... and for years I thought it was the best. Then I bought the Ozawa version... it's more spirited than the Ormandy version... and prefer the Ozawa. However, Harve Presnell in the Ormandy version is the better tenor.

Just my $0.02.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #37 of 57
I own the Ormandy recording on CD and Vinyl but after reading this discussion, I think I really need to try the Jochum recording.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 57
Blomstedt is still the best and most intense of versions for Carmina Burana, IMHO.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #40 of 57
Jan 11, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 57
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #42 of 57
Wow, that first one you list is the very first version I ever heard, when I was 12 years old.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the subject of the Muti version, there's a release from 1997 and one from 1999...anyone compared? I've the 1997.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 57
Pars... the first Ormandy you listed is the one I have (and like) - haven't heard the 2004 remaster. While looking online for Carmina Burana recordings I saw a Tilson Thomas version... has anyone here heard THAT one?

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #44 of 57
Hey everybody,

Does anyone here have the Salzburger Mozarteum performance, conducted by Kurt Prestel? I've the CD re-release from 1996, and the so-called "remastering" is AWFUL...TONS of distortion, volume overloads, etc...sounds like they just let a machine with presets do all the work.
I wonder if the 1990 pressing was any better? That release has a picture of a sort of cathedral or church on the CD cover. Let me know please! Thanks!

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #45 of 57
I just bought the same performance on the "Vienna Master Series," and the same fundamental problem is there...only worse! Damnit.
frown.gif
Why can't I find a well-mixed release of this performance? No-one else has one that they can recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back