Recommend me a headphone from best buy around $300
Dec 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Frequen C

Head-Fier
      I received the Beats by Dre Studio as a gift, and I plan on returning them for a $300 gift card.  So, I have around $300, give or take some, to have fun with at Best Buy.  I can order in-store, or online, but I would prefer to order in-store.  Out of all the headphones I saw in the store, nothing really struck me more than the Bose QC15, which had superb noise cancelling.  I know how all of you guys feel about Bose, so I am asking for a recommendation that follows these guidelines:

-Must be From Best Buy

-I would appreciate either durability or a warranty (tell me if Geek Squad protection is worth it).  My previous Beats By Dre broke within a month.

-I will be listening to lectures with these, so something that is comfortable for hours of use is desirable. Not only are the Bose comfortable, but they would provide me with a silent atmosphere for lectures.

-Must be an all-around decent headphone. I do not care too much if the sound is perfect.

-I do not like IEM's, as I already have the Monster Miles Davis

-These headphones will be driven with an Alienware Computer, with a decent sound card, as well as an iPod touch.

Thanks in advance, and ask for any other info you would like to know.​

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 16
The HD598s are on sale for $173 according to the best buy site, which i think would be a great buy for the price

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Best Buy sells Denon, Phiaton, Sennheiser, Klipsch, Audio-Technica, AKG, and Koss, though they're not commonly stocked in-store. I'm sure we could recommend a million cans from that selection.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? What genres do you listen to? Would you be willing to buy an amp for use on the go?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Best Buy sells Denon, Phiaton, Sennheiser, Klipsch, Audio-Technica, AKG, and Koss, though they're not commonly stocked in-store. I'm sure we could recommend a million cans from that selection.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? What genres do you listen to? Would you be willing to buy an amp for use on the go?

I would prefer unamped, I listen to lectures, rock, heavy metal, some alternative.  I usually listen to all my music as the compression type, Flac.  As for the sound signature, I would like something with clarity throughout the lows, mids, and highs-- something that is balanced.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Seriously, order online. They don't have crap in store (actually, the opposite: what they do have in store is crap). Their online store actually has a good collection of nicer phones, so definitely order online. The lack of instant gratification will be worth it when the end result is much better.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I would prefer unamped, I listen to lectures, rock, heavy metal, some alternative.  I usually listen to all my music as the compression type, Flac.  As for the sound signature, I would like something with clarity throughout the lows, mids, and highs-- something that is balanced.

I do believe your ears, eyes, and iDevice would enjoy some Phiatons. They're very clear and not too skewed towards any end of the spectrum, they're easily driven by a portable source, they look nice, and they're built to pretty high standards (real carbon fiber accents, etc.) Phiatons, I've found from briefly auditioning a few of their cans, are well-suited to rock, at least to my ears.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I do believe your ears, eyes, and iDevice would enjoy some Phiatons. They're very clear and not too skewed towards any end of the spectrum, they're easily driven by a portable source, they look nice, and they're built to pretty high standards (real carbon fiber accents, etc.) Phiatons, I've found from briefly auditioning a few of their cans, are well-suited to rock, at least to my ears.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Phiaton+-+Moderna+Series+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/2155136.p?id=1218312184410&skuId=2155136&st=phiaton&cp=1&lp=3#tabbed-customerreviews

I will definitely consider these, but at the same time I do not know if it's worth giving up the luxury comfort and superb noise cancelling of the Bose headset for the sound quality of these?

Quote:
The Senn HD 598 is one to look at.  Sold out on their website though.

I would look into those if they were in stock, unfortunately, they are not.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 16
From your posting, it seems you have already decided on the Bose.  If you need the active noise cancelling, just get them.  If you just need to block out random  noise like other people's music, talking, ect. all you really need is a headphone with good isolation.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 16
i was at a BOSE demo station just before christmas, and auditioned the NC15...i tot it sounded super clear
and a v quiet background...whatever is the system behind the wall :p

Made me wanna grab one off the resale market...go get your silencer boi :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I received the Beats by Dre Studio as a gift, and I plan on returning them for a $300 gift card.  So, I have around $300, give or take some, to have fun with at Best Buy.  I can order in-store, or online, but I would prefer to order in-store.  Out of all the headphones I saw in the store, nothing really struck me more than the Bose QC15, which had superb noise cancelling.  I know how all of you guys feel about Bose, so I am asking for a recommendation that follows these guidelines:
-Must be From Best Buy
-I would appreciate either durability or a warranty (tell me if Geek Squad protection is worth it).  My previous Beats By Dre broke within a month.
-I will be listening to lectures with these, so something that is comfortable for hours of use is desirable. Not only are the Bose comfortable, but they would provide me with a silent atmosphere for lectures.
-Must be an all-around decent headphone. I do not care too much if the sound is perfect.
-I do not like IEM's, as I already have the Monster Miles Davis
-These headphones will be driven with an Alienware Computer, with a decent sound card, as well as an iPod touch.Thanks in advance, and ask for any other info you would like to know.​

The extra warranty from Geeksquad is pure profit for Bestbuy and the sales rep who sold it to you.
Also this extra warranty is subject to manager on duty's interpretation of what the warranty really means.

The only two brands at Bestbuy I would think of buying is AKG or Shure.
I've never used those brands, but i do not really see much if any negative reviews on them.
Some of the AKGs are on sale, like the AKG K 272HD, lowest price around anywhere.
The Shure SRH840 price ($199) is on the high side.

What's the sound card in the Alienware computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back