Recommend female Jazz Vocalist?
Dec 2, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 40
I think you should check out N'dambi. She's got a great voice, a unique style and great songs. Yes, it's more R&B than jazz, but there is some swing on this CD. I went to see her at the jazz cafe last week,and she blew me away. CD of the year for me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
Norah Jones????

I didn't want to purchase her CD but I listened to her DVD
4904319.jpg
"Live in New Orleans" and fell in love. Great DVD with an intimate concert feel.
280smile.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 40
nina simone, joni mitchell, gillian welch, sarah mclachlan, natalie merchant, annie lennox and cory sipper.

also check out lucinda williams early works.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by porta
I like Diana Krall but "Don't know why" I don't like Norah Jones.

Porta

Maybe because it is not jazz!

Y'all beat me to my suggestions. I like mostly old school stuff, but Patricia Barber is particularly interesting--great lyrics!

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by pingles
Going to be arsey here, but what is Jazz?
tongue.gif

milesmenu.gif

"If you have to ask, you'll never know."
-quote from Miles Davis

There is tremendous variety in jazz, but most jazz is very rhythmic, has a forward momentum called "swing," and uses "bent" or "blue" notes.
-from Smithsonian on "What is jazz?"
http://www.smithsonianjazz.org/class.../wij_start.asp

[size=medium]jazz:[/size]
American music developed especially from ragtime and blues and characterized by propulsive syncopated rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, varying degrees of improvisation, and often deliberate distortions of pitch and timbre
-from Merriam-Webster Dictionary

[size=medium]jazz:[/size]
A style of music, native to America, characterized by a strong but flexible rhythmic understructure with solo and ensemble improvisations on basic tunes and chord patterns and, more recently, a highly sophisticated harmonic idiom.
-from American Heritage Dictionary

280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back