Recommend a set of desktop speakers?
Dec 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ShibeSuchBass

100+ Head-Fier
For a future pc build I am planning, just waiting on the green to roll in, I of course need some speakers. I currently have a set of Logitech Z313's that I dont really use much. When I first got them I was pretty blown away at the bass, since I never had experienced real bass from speakers, only from my head/earphones. After a while I realized the bass was lacking. I should mention I am a big basshead. I would have to turn up the volume pretty loudly to get reasonable bass response, I normally could not really feel or hear the rumble of the bass, which is what I really want... maybe not window shattering, but pretty low and aggressive. 
Anyways, I was on /r/battlestations and spotted some beautiful speakers, these are Swan M10's. The satellite speakers only go down to 100Hz, but I guess that is expected because they are just the speakers. The sub is also lacking, it only goes down to 42Hz. I think I will get these anyways though, they look perfect for me and reviews on multiple sites say they have great mids and decent bass (not nearly good enough bass for me though). I suppose I would have to add a sub or replace the sub it comes with. In fact, I read a couple people say it really is just a "midsub" because it doesn't go nearly as low as a sub should. So even if I get these, I would need to find a really good sub.
I then remembered about speakers of my own. I have no idea where to start looking. I just know I need them with great mids, and very bass oriented. I would also want a sub for real bass and low frequencies into sub bass. Would I need to buy the sub individually, like is there a market for just subs, besides car audio? Preferably I would want the desktop speakers to look like in the picture, very minimalistic, clean, and raw if possible... I dont mind for the sub since it would probably be on the floor, but it would be a huge plus if I could have it looking similar too.
So are there any small/medium sized speakers that look like that with good mids and bass? Any you can recommend? What about a sub as well? Even a point in the right direction will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: added speakers name, Swan M10, some extra info, and my planned pc build just FYI.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 20
LOL - I was just making the point that there is an entire universe of home audio components out there that are way beyond powered computer speakers and car audio. Just as you can use a DAC to feed an audio line-out signal to a headphone amplifier, you can also use a DAC to feed into home audio components like preamplifiers & power amplifiers that drive passive audiophile speaker systems that come in all shapes, sizes and prices. One place to research home audio is: http://www.avsforum.com/

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 20
I was researching desktop speakers for my home computer and finally decided that I am paying a lot for the electronics/amp, which many report a problem with after a year or two. So I decided to go with an un-powered speaker and then by an inexpensive T-amp from China (@$60). There are lots of alternatives there to choose from, so read the reviews and shop wisely.

This let me pick the desktop speakers based on sound alone, and there are a ton of those at all price points and sizes.

Then I bought a Sabre based USB DAC from HifiMeDIY.com (@$60) and couldn't be happier with the quality of sound I am getting now.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 20
Yup, one popular choice is the Dayton B652: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

Add a small power amp, and also add a powered subwoofer like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Makes a nice, hard-hitting little system.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 20
Forget about PC speakers if you want room-shaking bass. Get a home stereo set up- stereo receiver, full-sized speakers with full-sized woofers. Output from PC to stereo receiver via a HDMI or optical audio, maybe even usb. If only one HDMI on your pc, use remaining VGA to display/screen.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 20
I was looking into it and I think for my low price point I'll get the Polk Audio PSW10 sub and some cabinet speakers or the Swans M10s

I hear a lot that any sub under 10 inches is disappointing.

Edit: I would also have a desktop amp, preferably with a bass boost feature like my Fiio E11.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 20
look into active monitors from brands like JBL, KRK, ADAM, EVE, Mackie almost all will have exactly what you need, personally rocking KRK RP6 G3's and ADAM a7x on my 2 systems.  You get a fair amount of bang for your buck in the pro audio market.  You may have to spend a bit more on a decent sub but it will last you years.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 20
look into active monitors from brands like JBL, KRK, ADAM, EVE, Mackie almost all will have exactly what you need, personally rocking KRK RP6 G3's and ADAM a7x on my 2 systems.  You get a fair amount of bang for your buck in the pro audio market.  You may have to spend a bit more on a decent sub but it will last you years.

Aren't most speakers active though? Or how is that? What's the difference between speakers and monitors? What should I be looking for when looking for a set, since a sub would cover the bass? Those you have are a little over my budget.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 20
Aren't most speakers active though? Or how is that? What's the difference between speakers and monitors? What should I be looking for when looking for a set, since a sub would cover the bass? Those you have are a little over my budget.

I would assume "studio monitor" refers to self-powered speakers, something where audio detail is needs for audio production.
Where as the standard "speaker" term refers to unpowered speakers, maybe where an over all "fun" sound is more important then just the detail.
I'm not an audio expert, just putting in my 2 cents.

If your willing to not spend cash for the sub-woofer, you can get a great sounding 2.0 setup.
A pair of JBL LSR305 or Emotiva AirMotiv 5s monitors should give you some great sound.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 20
I would assume "studio monitor" refers to self-powered speakers, something where audio detail is needs for audio production.
Where as the standard "speaker" term refers to unpowered speakers, maybe where an over all "fun" sound is more important then just the detail.
I'm not an audio expert, just putting in my 2 cents.

If your willing to not spend cash for the sub-woofer, you can get a great sounding 2.0 setup.
A pair of JBL LSR305 or Emotiva AirMotiv 5s monitors should give you some great sound.

Yeah, I don't need studio monitors, just pretty good budget speakers and a sub. It doesn't need to be super loud, it'll just be in my bedroom with occasional listening at a low to moderate volume, but I listen to old school dubstep and it's based around sub bass and just deep bass overall so I want my bass low and rumbling, I guess bass power and impact more than detail. My budget for a pair of desktop speakers(as in, will fit on my desk with my monitor, keyboard, mouse, computer, etc.) and a sub is around $200-$300 but 300 is really pushing it. I also would need a desktop amp, unless my portable Fiio E11 amp would work for that. I hope I can get the speakers, sub, and amp for about 250 total. Again, keep in mind I have a set of Logitech Z313's, so idk if I could use the speakers from that to save money, and just buy a sub and amp. Idk if I would need a DAC.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 20
I would suggest that with a budget of just $300 you are going to struggle, budget sub's tend to be very flabby and not very accurate.  As the saying goes you get what you pay for, I would budget $300 for JUST a sub or not bother and blow my budget on the best speakers you can afford.  A good 6" main driver (or bigger) can give you plenty of bass but it wont be that chest rumbling bass of a club.  My ADAMs are 7" main driver and rumble my room so bad even my teenage daughter complains when she is watching tv in the next room.  

When spending any money on audio gear its worth paying a little more to get some local advice and customer care.  Get on the internet and look up all your local hi-fi and pro audio suppliers, hopefully you will have the chance to pay one or more a visit and do some direct comparisons.  The beauty of active monitors is you dont need the separate amp, and the amps are designed specifically for the drivers in the cabinets, so not only a space saving but no hassle trying to match speakers to amps for efficiency and tonal preference.  

As you are in USA here are some examples of what would fit your budget of $300, disclaimer I have never used this supplier, 
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305 
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G3
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE5

All of these come with a 5" driver which is nice for desktop use, as you are sitting pretty close, you can then add a sub later if you think you need it and if funds allow.
All of these brands also have an 8" driver version and the KRK also has a 6" driver too, but will stretch your budget. 

I would say even with some savvy shopping you will struggle to compete on sound quality if you are going to go the route of a t-amp and passive speakers.

Furthermore I do think you under-estimate the capability of modern speakers in terms of range, a sub is not always required.  Maybe I am just getting old :D  hope that helps

edit: you mentioned a DAC, what is your current source? I assume a PC?  Modern MOBO's can have pretty good on board sound, but it does depend on the model and what other gear is in your system that may cause noise issues.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 20
In your price range you can afford a Dayton SUB 1000 or 1200, Micca MB42X or maybe even the Fluance SX6, but I don't know enough about speaker amplifiers to recommend one.  You of course need one that has a line-out/preamp out for a powered sub woofer.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 20
A "studio monitor" can be either passive (unpowered) or active (powered). An active speaker has a power amp built-in, but an active speaker does not. All studio monitors are speakers, but not all speakers are studio monitors. Typically, a studio monitor is designed to work with pro-audio gear, so it might have an XLR or 1/4" unshielded connection. It might also be intended to be used in "near field" - meaning that it's very near the listener (like on a desk) as opposed to be farther away like you might have in a typical home living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back