Recommend a Dap
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

JLMartel

New Head-Fier
So, I haven't had a Dap since my MD player and psp go, both of which I loved. My psp kicked the bucket a few years ago so I've been using my pixel 2. Hasn't been the same, need a new Dap.

I don't really have a budget. What I'm looking for is value. Performance/ features to price value. I don't want anything that requires consistent updates.

Thanks.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 25
Might help if you say what headphones or iems you plan on using with it?

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 25
For now, Primarily the Hd58X Jubilee.

My gear hasn't arrived yet. I've got Audio-gd NFB 11.38 on it's way as well as the Jubilee from massdrop. I'll probably be getting a portable Dac at some point. Maybe a mojo, maybe an IFI. I haven't given it much thought yet. Thinking of getting some IEMs eventually maybe? Never been a big fan of in ear stuff.

Future head phones I'm looking at buying Argons, hd600, hifiman Sundara, Audeze LCD 2C, campfire audio Andromeda (maybe?)

I'm new to the headphone game, that being said I'm jumping in feet first.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 25
Sony WM1A or WM1Z. Then get the Premium Project K mod.

Thank you, I'm not sure I'm prepared to mod a $1500 +CND Dap. I do like Sony a lot but I acknowledge that you pay a premium for the name. I also need to know why I'm spending $1500 for a Dap. Just like the HD660s, I was about to pull the trigger, had the cash in hand until I read the comparison between the 660s and jubilee. Jubilee seems to be very similar in almost every way that matters at a fraction of the price.

What I'm trying to say is I don't mind spending the money if it can justify it's existence at that price point. Make sense?

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 25
That does help as a lot of daps don’t run full sized headphones real well. Depends on the headphone but they are mostly meant for iems and portable gear. If you want a dap that will run say a pair of Aragon’s and LCD-2C’s that is a bigger deal without a amp. Not all daps will output to a Mojo either.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 25
Depends on what exactly you want from a DAP. What features can you live without - which features are a must? The Jubilees aren't terribly difficult to drive. I'd look for something that has roughly 130mw of power, such as my Shanling m2s. If you want more power from the single end, look at the stuff from ibasso. Otherwise, most daps only offer greater power from a balanced connection.
As for value - features and performance to cost ratio, I don't really think Shanling can be beat. We can recommend daps until we're blue in the face, but without some more information, it's kinda pointless. Do you want a warm or balanced sounding dap?

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 25
I'll take a look at shanling daps. Thank you. I wish I could give you more... balanced would be cool but not necessary, some internal memory, expandable memory a must, the ability to connect to a Amp. WiFi & Blu tooth would be great, battery life is a strong consideration.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 25
Sound like you are basically looking for a complete portable solution.
This is my take: HiBy R3 (nice touch screen and user interface) + Chord Mojo (Class leading SQ) + AudioQuest NightHawk and NightOwl
DAP + Mojo mounted in my own 3D printed case.
A step up would be the same combo with Mr.Speakers AEON closed.

Not super portable due to the thick DAP/DAC combo and big headphones, but great SQ, sounds like a good stereo speaker setup.

IMG_8073.JPG IMG_8070.JPG

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 25
I can say that my new Sony wm1a that arrived today has just basically made several of my mid tier daps sound bad!

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 25
Ibasso dx150 is decent though

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 25
So, I haven't had a Dap since my MD player and psp go, both of which I loved. My psp kicked the bucket a few years ago so I've been using my pixel 2. Hasn't been the same, need a new Dap.
I don't really have a budget. What I'm looking for is value. Performance/ features to price value. I don't want anything that requires consistent updates.
Thanks.
It would help if you listed a budget range?
($100 or $300 or $500 or etc)

Check out the website anythingbutipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back