Recommend a DAP in the Australian Market
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shch13

100+ Head-Fier
  I'm currently using my GN phone to play all my music, but it sucks the battery out badly cause I listen to it rather frequently.

Currently looking to replace it with something differnt avaliable in the Aussie market.

Looking around it seems that Apple is the natural dominant one.

Sony Walkman is still around with the E4XX or E5XX, a W273 wearable, and the little stick B173F. The local sony store also has an ex-display Walkman Z1050 for sale, according to him its been on display for almost a year now.
The Walkman E574 is on sale, but I heard there is a newer on the E584 that came out in Europe, will it come to the Aussie market?

iRiver is still around here with the S100 and the E40.

Finally the Phillips brand GoGear touchscreen player and that other one that looks like the Clip Zip.

Capacity isn't a priority and price isn't a problem huge problem but I would like better battery life and most importantly Sound Quality, what do you guys think of this selection?

Thanks guys and gurlllss

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Here are the press releases for the E580 and the F886 series.  SQ wise the newer Sonys are good, but the Z series could slightly bass heavy.  Can't go wrong with anyone of these Sony's, and in the worse case you can always just import.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 9
I like my Sony E465 8GB player.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 9
OP, is there a particular reason you want to buy locally? Unfortunately very few local outlets sell the better DAPs out there.

In any case, do you have a budget for us to guide you? And where do you live. If in Melbourne, you could visit the guys at Addicted to Audio. Not sure if they have them for auditioning, but they sell both iBasso and the AK100. Both are quality DAPs. They also have the budget priced Fiio X3. One of these three should please both SQ and budget.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 9
I live in Sydney, I've browsed all the bigger retail stores that still stock DAP's
JB HIfi still offers Sony Walkmans and a few iRivers>
DSE has Phillips brand GoGear players
The local Sony Store sells the Walkman B and E (the ex-display Z1050 was sold).

I've been using my Nexus phone and the SQ i find is inadequate, I've tried playing the same song on an old Samsung Stick player and it sounds wayyy better (but its basically dead because the battery lasts around an hour).
More rich, less hollow and the Phone for some reason seems to have sound distortion on certain high vocal songs (I listen to Canto-Pop, Mandarin Pop, Jpop, Orchestral, Indie, Progressive, Rock, Pop).

Price isn't a great concern as long as it's reasonable sayyy below 250?

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Fiio X3, or wait until Ibasso DX50 hits shores. I haven't heard them personally, but they are the budget next gen DAPs. They have decent DACS supporting all formats and bit rates, and amps that will drive any portable headphones.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 9
  I live in Sydney, I've browsed all the bigger retail stores that still stock DAP's
JB HIfi still offers Sony Walkmans and a few iRivers>
DSE has Phillips brand GoGear players
The local Sony Store sells the Walkman B and E (the ex-display Z1050 was sold).

I've been using my Nexus phone and the SQ i find is inadequate, I've tried playing the same song on an old Samsung Stick player and it sounds wayyy better (but its basically dead because the battery lasts around an hour).
More rich, less hollow and the Phone for some reason seems to have sound distortion on certain high vocal songs (I listen to Canto-Pop, Mandarin Pop, Jpop, Orchestral, Indie, Progressive, Rock, Pop).

Price isn't a great concern as long as it's reasonable sayyy below 250?

for that price nothing beats X3
Add a little more you could get the DX50 which most say is better than the X3

if you want cheaper but with still good SQ, Colorfly C3 cost around AUD100ish and is the best in that price range. For AUD50ish you could get Sansa Clip

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 9
If you want X3 you can find the unit at Noisy Motel. Our options in Australia are very limited, why I have to import everything either from eBay or other sites. You won't find anything but mainstream players in our stores.

I have a 16gb Cowon J3 for sale, not sure if you'd be interested in that though. Also if price is not an issue Noisy Motel also sell Studio V 3RD ANV that'll run for 80 hours a charge and sounds excellent.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 9
What do you guys think of the Sony E574?
8GB of internal memory and noise cancelling phones NC33 I believe it is. The Sony store has it on discount from 129 down to 99.
Personal speculation that they might be getting rid of the E574 to make way for the E584, but I don't know if that will make it to the Australian market.
Other options are the wearable Walkman W273 and the Stick player B173F.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back