Recomendations on Skullcandy earphones
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Girevik

New Head-Fier

I had to return some Skullcandy Full Metal Jacket headphones under warranty, so now I've got $70 to spend at their web site and I'm trying to decide what to get. I went through probably 4 or 5 pairs of the FMJ, so I'm worried about durability, but I don't want to spend much more than the credit I have. I don't know if I should stick with ear buds like the Titan or Heavy Medal, or go with on over or on the ear set. I usually listen just sitting at my desk at work.

I want something durable (I take my ear buds back and forth with me, but I guess I could leave them there). I have an Android device so working volume controls would be nice but the only think I REALLY want is the button to pause.

So, what should I get with an upper limit of $80? Heavy Medal or Titan ear buds, or maybe on over the ear or on ear set?

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 9
I buy skullcandy products for my children because they are rough and careless with their headphones. Skullcandy is great for only one thing. Their warranty.

Skullcandy headphones are all hype and they will always break. I have never had a pair in my house last longer than three months. Sometimes timing is perfect as I can sometimes send three pairs of warranty returns for one postage label.

As far as sound quality goes. The only pair that I have heard that actually were decent and sounded better than beats and bose were the aviators. I was bored one day  at Best Buy and tested them and suprisingly they sounded decent enough and had a good fit. I bought a pair of these once because I was able to use the skullcandy warranty credit I had accumlated but, I flipped it on ebay. But if I had to have a pair of skullcandy's this would be the only pair that I would go for because the others are totally garbage. But at 149.00 -69.00 you would still have to fork over $80.00. But you would have the lifetime warranty!  If you did not like the sound you could still get your money back on the bay. Just my two cents.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really looking to drop another $80 on headphones.  I got the FMJ's for free with Coke reward ponts (I didn't even realize it was $70 ear buds I was getting at the time), and am just looking for a replacement for right around what I've got in my return.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 9
The aviators and mix master sounds good but all other skullcandy equally suck, so just go with the one you think is the prettiest.

EDIT:
Some people says the hesh 2 is decent sounding for a skullcandy brand and it's about $70 on their website

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Meh on the Hesh2 .My daughter has a pair but, they look cool.. Sound is not so great imho.
But better than the rest of the garbage under $150.00.

The kids have had them all. Hesh, skull crushers,FMJ, 50/50, inkd,lowriders and they all are horrible but they look cool. When they get older they will graduate from these forever. But did I tell you about how awesome their warranty is? No questions asked. That is the only thing that company is good at!

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 9
I'd be one with the "Buy whatever re-sells best" crowd and buy something you'll really like. "New -- Sealed Box" should be pretty interesting for someone at a discount. An Amazon seller's account will let you sell it alongside the other offers and I think you get more bang for your buck there than on eBay. 

I have Sony MH1Cs on the way for my work for dealing with WebEx and soft-phone. I can let you know how they work on Android on Monday -- PM me if you'd like that. For $30 for the Sony phones, with what's left over you could but a nice bottle of wine, a six-pack of Pliny The Elder, or, well, let your imagination run....

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I'd be one with the "Buy whatever re-sells best" crowd and buy something you'll really like. "New -- Sealed Box" should be pretty interesting for someone at a discount. An Amazon seller's account will let you sell it alongside the other offers and I think you get more bang for your buck there than on eBay. 

I have Sony MH1Cs on the way for my work for dealing with WebEx and soft-phone. I can let you know how they work on Android on Monday -- PM me if you'd like that. For $30 for the Sony phones, with what's left over you could but a nice bottle of wine, a six-pack of Pliny The Elder, or, well, let your imagination run....

That sounds like a decent plan, but from what I'm seeing the headphones I'm seeing on Amazon are in the $40 - $50 range new.  Could I get enough more from the Skullcandy's to make that worth while?

I'm leaning towards just getting a pair of the Hesh 2's and giving an over the ear ones a shot over the in ear.  My only concern with those is if they break like the FMJ's and I have to send them back, what is THAT going to cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back