Recomend Me Some Trip-Hop
Aug 1, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #32 of 48
Try some more hiphoppish:
-DJ Cam ("Soulshine" album, "mad blunted jazz" is great) and DJ Krush ("Code 4109", "meiso", "milight")

...or few classics:
-Nightmares on wax-smokers delight is good start too.
-You shouldn't miss Kruder&dorfmeister (k&d sessions)

more chilled:
-zero 7
-telepopmusik
-froufrou

Hope that helps!

cheers

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 48
Some other suggestions:
Imogen Heap
Static Sound System - remixes also appreciable
Esthero "Breathe from another"
Hooverphonic - I actually don't like them...

Thumbs up for Portishead and Massive Attack
smily_headphones1.gif
Karmacoma rulez
eggosmile.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 48
Sneaker Pimps - Splinter. I actually think it's a huge leap from Becoming X. Dark and atmospheric, and there's something about the way the bass is played here that makes me want to move eheh.

Bloodsport also by Sneaker Pimps is good, only it's more upbeat, but still, great songs.

Martina Topley-Bird - Quixotic album has a couple of trip hop tracks, also good. There's a collab track with Tricky here.

Nitin Sawhney - Philtre. It's not exactly a Trip Hop album although some songs can be classified as such. Good album.

Aug 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #36 of 48
Tricky - Maxinquaye.

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Abstrackt Keal Agram - Abstrackt Keal Agram (Impossible to find)

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher

DJ Shadow - Preemptive Strike

RJD2 - Deadringer (And anything else)

Aim - Means of Production

Boom Bip - Corymb

Emilie Simon - Vegetal

And yeah, make everything Portishead first and last on your list. Some people don't like live albums, but be sure to pick up Portishead: Live in NYC. It's better than the studio albums, which goes to show what you can get when the artists are audiophiles, too.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #37 of 48
Quantic
Blockhead
Portishead
Massive Attack
Amon Tobin (maybe)
Nightmares on Wax
Theivery Corperation
Air

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 48
A band that I don't think has been mentioned is Laika. Their first two albums Silver Apples of the Moon and Sounds of the Satellites both compare favorably with Portishead, with maybe more emphasis on rhythm and less on moodiness.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A band that I don't think has been mentioned is Laika. Their first two albums Silver Apples of the Moon and Sounds of the Satellites both compare favorably with Portishead, with maybe more emphasis on rhythm and less on moodiness.

Great suggestion, as evidenced by my current sig
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, for my CD money, Laika was the best band working anywhere near the trip hop scene in the mid 90s. Both the albums you mention still stand up as fresh and original sounding, even over 10 years down the road.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #40 of 48
Bloom by Crustation with Bronagh Slevin is a less spooky version of Portishead, maybe a Fiona Apple & Portishead mix. The album may be hard to find now though. It's an import too so you gotta pay a lot. I remember buying it at Newbury Comics for ~$24 back when the US dollar was worth something.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 48
Chiming in with: Massive Attack, Portishead, Zero 7, Morcheeba, Tricky.

Adding: Kruder & Dorfmesier - The K&D Sessions. THE trip-hop mix (sorry DJ Shadow, you're #2 in my book).

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chiming in with: Massive Attack, Portishead, Zero 7, Morcheeba, Tricky.

Adding: Kruder & Dorfmesier - The K&D Sessions. THE trip-hop mix (sorry DJ Shadow, you're #2 in my book).

Word, word. Oh, Hope Sandoval - Bavarian Fruit Bread.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #43 of 48
Massive Attack's Mezzanine needs to be heard with an audiophile grade subwoofer. Very deep bass. Without it, the songs lose some of their impact. I believe some of it goes down to 20hz or so, so headphones won't give you the full spectrum. I can hear it now.... "Get him! He's telling us to not use our cans!!!"

Tricky's Maxinquaye is also a fine album. "Black Steel" is like trip-hop/rock. Probably my favorite track from that album. At least, it's the one I listen to the most.

Bjork is out there, but in a good way. Debut, Post, and Homogenic are all highly recommended.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #44 of 48
Mezzanine sounds just fine on my K340s.
340smile.gif

No subwoofer need apply, audiophile or no...
biggrin.gif

As for the OP, there are lots of threads on this already. This one is a good place to start: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91029

I give a bunch of recommendations in the 10th post [and the 16th post], and they haven't changed much in 3 years.
cool.gif

At the moment I'm listening to France & Dom - Modernism, just finished Frost - Melodica. Both quite enjoyable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #45 of 48
I would highly support the Bjork - Homogenic, Massive attack - Mezzanine, Esthero - Breather from another, and Portishead recommendations.

Specifics on some other rec's:
Thievery Corp - Man from Babylon
Hooverphonic - Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

Some others:
Mouse on Mars - Iaora Tahiti
DJ Krush - Krush
Unkle - Pscyence Fiction

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back