Recomend Me Some Trip-Hop
Jul 31, 2007 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

badpenny

100+ Head-Fier
I have no clue where to start in this genre at all... If you could just recommend one album. What would it be and why?

Thanks a lot guys.

Cheers.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 48
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
cool.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
cool.gif

Also check out Blue lines, they're 1st album, its a bit more on the dub/reggae side but really the start of their trip hop sound. The solo album from tricky, one of the founding members of massive attack, which is called "maxinquaye" or something like that, is also very good.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 48
Portishead - Dummy

Mezzanine and Maxinquaye are heartily seconded

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 48
There were a lot of great debut albums in the 90s, but none really any better than Portishead Dummy. Shaped a whole big part of the later trip hop sound, with more of a moody and cinematic jazz sound than the Bristol bands like Massive Attack. A huge album. My favorite of the genre, although I do love the more raw sound of that first Tricky record, and Massive Attack too.

Another smaller record that doesn't get enough press, but deserves it, is the first (and maybe only?) album from Skylab, just called #1. Very cool and atmospheric. Very nice sound too.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 48
I just remembered a band that I used to listen t0 in the 90's... The Sneaker Pimps... anything good ever come of them?

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mono - Formica Blues.

I also second Morcheeba, what about Charango?

Charango was one of the biggest disappointments for me in recent memory. Big Calm remains their masterpiece for me.

I recommend Archive - Londinium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back