Recessed sockets vs non-recessed sockets
Mar 29, 2011 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Beamer42

New Head-Fier
I'm not exactly sure what recessed and non-recessed sockets look like in custom earphones so can someone please show pictures of both.

And which is better?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 24
Images are attached below.  Please excuse the photography we don't have access to a macro lens right now.  We recommend recessed sockets as they are more secure and look nicer.

Recessed:

Flush

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 24
Step in the right direction. But until the industry adopts a more sturdy connection I see little point in trying recessed sockets that allow me access to a few cables.

It would be better if the next industry standard was clip in connections so it doesn't come off or loose easily. Tie that in with recessed sockets to protect the pins from bending and a lot of people here would be sold.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 24
Diggin' out. Is there a possibility to buy a socket, this one in the IEM body? Or maybe I could make one from some kind of computer sockets for data tapes? I'm thinking about removable cables for my SM3v1. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 24
If you don't plan on replacing cables, recessed sockets is a no brainer for protecting the pins of your cables.

If you may be replacing your cable, as the UM rep stated - UM recessed sockets does support a variety of aftermarket cables, but not all of them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 24
I am undecided about recessed sockets too. I choosed 4.A from Heir Audio but they dont offer recessed sockets and I am afraid that i will damage the pins or socket. Do you think sockets are durable enough for normal use? Is damaging the socket is difficult? Is my fear of damage justified? Thanks for any response

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 24
The simplest solution would be to bend the pins towards center some, like it's done in the Europlug (the power supply one).
This helps quite a bit. Other than that, perhaps spring-loaded locking mechanism, but that's hard to implement, large and expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back