recent observations--head-fi--so much negativity, so much BS
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #61 of 165
It's also important to put things into context. There have only been two manufacturers that went out of their way to offer products specifically for this community. Dr. Meier gave us the HeadFive and HeadSix and Grado gave us the HF-1 and HF-2.

I think it's important to recognize and give thanks for these products - they were offered specifically for us and to support Head-Fi. Sales support the considerable bandwidth we use and to keep things running. To trash these products doesn't help the community. Everyone should keep that in mind before they open their mouths. I bought all of these products and intend to keep buying new ones (hopefully) offered in the future. I also contribute, attend meets and intend to help out Jude and those who do substantial work behind the scenes, too. The community is bigger and better than this petty sniping.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #62 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also important to put things into context. There have only been two manufacturers that went out of their way to offer products specifically for this community. Dr. Meier gave us the HeadFive and HeadSix and Grado gave us the HF-1 and HF-2.

I think it's important to recognize and give thanks for these products - they were offered specifically for us and to support Head-Fi. Sales support the considerable bandwidth we use and to keep things running. To trash these products doesn't help the community. Everyone should keep that in mind before they open their mouths. I bought all of these products and intend to keep buying new ones (hopefully) offered in the future. I also contribute, attend meets and intend to help out Jude and those who do substantial work behind the scenes, too. The community is bigger and better than this petty sniping.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I hope that the net result of this behavior isn't that these (and perhaps other) manufacturers begin to feel like the effort to support this site isn't worth the headaches.

Fortunately, it seems that most of the worst complaining is by folks who are relatively new to the site. Perhaps they just haven't yet gained the sense of community that Uncle Erik refers to in his post. Here's hoping that they do.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #63 of 165
I agree Erik and Elrod-Tom. I too have supported these compnanies by purchasing the head fi only gear. I certainly hope that the 'piling on' that has been prevalent won't hinder them or others from future projects. I do want to acknowledge your contributions to this thread Elrod-Tom and highlighting the need for all of us to participate in making and keeping this a thriving and productive site. Point well taken

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #64 of 165
Quote:

Extremely well put. Thanks for saying it.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #65 of 165
Quote:

There have only been two manufacturers that went out of their way to offer products specifically for this community. Dr. Meier gave us the HeadFive and HeadSix and Grado gave us the HF-1 and HF-2. ...

I think we should add Fang at Head-Direct to this list. The EF-1 Hybrid Amp was designed specifically for Head-Fi members and sold at meets. The first version actually had "Thank You Head-Fi ... Without You We Would Not Be Here" stenciled on the glass cover.

Some of us thought this stencil detracted from the look of the unit, so Fang removed it from later runs. But make no mistake -- Head-Direct is very dedicated to this community, and the amp was built for us.

True, there was no specific "build/order thread", but there was an initial discount for Head-Fi members.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #66 of 165
Back on topic, yes I agree there's been a change in attitude over the last couple of years.
I put it down to a number of reasons:
1. The general sense ofstress and uncertainty in the world today. I feel the underlying low level background stress we all have to bear has increased dramatically over the last couple of years. I see it every day at work ( I work in the financial sector so stress is somewhat amplified with the current economic situation.) I know i've become more stressed over the last year or so, but being told that another 3 people will be eliminated from your department before year end will do that to you.
2. Unrealistic expectations. Yes, we all want GREAT value for our products, I'm the same. To me headphones are a luxury, I don't NEED them but I do want them. So it's reasonable for me to want to get something special for my money. It's not reasonable for me to expect miracles or fantastic deals with no profit for the seller. ( Proof reading two lines of text is a reasonable expectation IMHO)
3. No offense to the vast majority of the newer members here, but SOME of the newer members (I'd say last 2 yrs or so), quite frankly, are rude, abrasive and have a hugely inflated opinion of their self worth. Thankfully is seems the Mods have started to crack down on some of the more egregious violators. There's always a few bad apples in the bunch, and often they go away on their own (not all of them though :p) , but recently this has been a bit of a problem. It's a main part of why I don't post as much these days, the signal to noise ratio seems to be decreasing. I'm glad we've added a few new Mods (Congrats to you all BTW) and I hope that'll help.

Hope to see some of you at the Colorado meet on Saturday.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #67 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and that is one possible outcome. Here's another: if I were Mr. Grado, and I read that thread, there would not be an HF-3.

It's possible, especially given the hoo-hah that went up when he did the original HF-1, that he might not consider it worth his while to do another. There are certainly a few folks who are not at all appreciative of what a nice opportunity this is.

Hopefully John Grado decide that it is worth coming up with a HF3.
As for the HF2 story possibly putting an end to it, then he should be aware that he had a lot of control of the end result. Deliver the 'phones in a state as advertised (no typing error) and there would have been far less to complain about.

Credits to the moderators who do a nice job putting down those who post mostly negative or rant. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #68 of 165
Why all the Grado talk in this thread? Are there not enough threads in the headphone forum on this subject?

Just a suggestion: people on both sides of that thorny debate need to get past it already.

--Jerome

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #69 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why all the Grado talk in this thread? Are there not enough threads in the headphone forum on this subject?

Just a suggestion: people on both sides of that thorny debate need to get past it already.

--Jerome

Good point - I suppose it's because it's one of the subjects involved with the OP's feeling of negativity

Going forward, please keep the Grado Head-F1 talk out of this thread. There are plenty of other threads - even after some have been closed due to bad behavior - where that discussion can take place.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #70 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Probably because it is very relevant when talking about all the negativity (BS) that have been posted in the forum recently.
...and the fact that their products are mentioned twice in the OP.

But guess we can tune the thread a bit differently...

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #71 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because it is very relevant when talking about all the negativity (BS) that have been posted in the forum recently.
...and the fact that their products are mentioned twice in the OP.

But guess we can tune the thread a bit differently...

Yes, but there's a difference between a general reference and the kind of specifics that have already been beaten to death elsewhere.

For example:

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
As for the HF2 story possibly putting an end to it, then he should be aware that he had a lot of control of the end result. Deliver the 'phones in a state as advertised (no typing error) and there would have been far less to complain about.

Ignoring for a moment your apparent urge to have the last word, be aware that this kind of stuff comes off as unapreciative of an effort to do something special for this community. It's probably making the folks at Grado (and any other manufacturer who might otherwise consider doing something similarly special) wonder whether it's worth the effort.

Nobody wants added headaches for their effort to do something nice for someone who doesn't appreciate it.

BTW - interesting choice of words: "far less"

Now, with that, can we please now keep the thread on-topic?

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #73 of 165
A lot of people have become really hyper-critical and hippo critical. Those "Head-Fi Experienced" members who think they know everyone and everything only see it fit to put others' input/explanations down (in a harsh manner) just to boost their self-esteem.

There are, however, many experienced members who are really kind and like to help out people who are trying to get into the hobby. But for those "Not so nice" members, they are trying to get people to stop the hobby so there are less people that are threatening to their "Status".

I'll tell you what- I am getting sick of the constant pointless bickering in a lot of these posts. There is always a post saying "Can we keep this on topic?" THERE SHOULDN'T BE THAT POST. The post should ALWAYS stay on topic and the occasional joke and fun is alright- but the bickering needs to stop. That why I left back in late 2008 and just recently returned- I was b!7ched out in a post for being a newbie.

That's my 2 cents- apologies for my ranting.

Regards,
Spencer D.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #74 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are, however, many experienced members who are really kind and like to help out people who are trying to get into the hobby. But for those "Not so nice" members, they are trying to get people to stop the hobby so there are less people that are threatening to their "Status".

I agree in part; I'm not sure members here are trying to stop people joining the hobby but a lot of new members post ' what headphone' threads only to get directed to the search, sure there post could of been answered a couple hours ago but we all have to start somewhere. Furthermore the more people that enter this hobby the cheaper headphones and the likes will become, isn't that how supply and demand works?

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you what- I am getting sick of the constant pointless bickering in a lot of these posts. There is always a post saying "Can we keep this on topic?" THERE SHOULDN'T BE THAT POST. The post should ALWAYS stay on topic and the occasional joke and fun is alright- but the bickering needs to stop. That why I left back in late 2008 and just recently returned- I was b!7ched out in a post for being a newbie.

That's my 2 cents- apologies for my ranting.

I hear ya... Maybe we need a new section of the forum, right above headphone, portable and amp... called something like 'Which headphone/amp' and all those questions and new members can start there, senior members can stay out if it bothers them.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #75 of 165
I personally just think the moderators should jump in the bickering a little more and halt it. If they start doing that- people will knock it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back