Receiver to E10
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Semus

New Head-Fier
So, with my current budget I'm going to have to settle for the E10 with my new set of K702's.

I was wondering if it would make any difference if the E10 was getting it's input directly from a receiver, rather than, say, an iPod or similar device?

I have absolutely no clue how sound is transferred from one component to the next and how much the sound is amplified. Should I even bother with the receiver and go directly into the E10 from an iPod or my PC?

Also, my sound card is of higher quality and was wondering if it would provide enough to power the 702's by itself. I am going to assume that it probably doesn't, but just wanted to ask to be sure. The sound card is a SupremeFX X-Fi. Came with my Rampage II Extreme motherboard, but is not an onboard sound card. It's another physical card by itself.

Would the sound coming out the the receiver (being slightly amplified itself) also then be additionally amplified by the E10? Or does it even work that way. To some of you that might sound like an idiotic question, but I'm just starting to get into all of this and you  guys seem very knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Run a digital optical cable from your computer to the receiver, plug K702 headphones into receiver, done.
Save money not having to buy the Fiio E10 (nothing personal Fiio).

What model receiver is it?

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 6
The receiver is a Kenwood VR-605. It's an older model, but still functions well.

I only ask the question because many have stated that receivers don't bring out the true potential of the K702's.

I may be completely wrong about that. This receiver might have plenty of juice and juice to spare, but I have been told it's better to go with a dedicated amp such as the E10 and not the receiver.

Is that not correct?

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Kenwood VR-605, came out 9 years ago.
Can't see you daisy chaining the receiver with the E10

I'm in no way an expert on AKG headphones, but for $10 you can order an digital optical cable from Monoprice.
You can always compare the headphones between the Supreme and the Kenwood, see if there is a difference.
You can always order a Fiio E10 at a later date or do more research into external headphone amplifiers for the K702

One thing for sure is the Kenwood will have a lot more juice (overall) then the Fiio E10.
Each receiver manufacturer can build different quality into their headphone output.
So saying receivers can't power the K702 to me is a little premature without even testing it first.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, I agree that saying that the receiver won't power the K702's properly without testing it first, is indeed a bit premature. It's something that I definitely plan on doing before any other purchase.

However, I've been searching around the net and watched various youtube channels on the K702's and most tend to say that an amp is needed to run them how they should be run. That's not to say the Kenwood won't do the job. I am going to go so far as to say that needing an amp to run them is a pretty general statement and some people could be assuming that you either don't have a receiver, or you're looking for a specific sound from a specific amplifier, digital or analog.

I suppose that it's ultimately going to come down to my own personal experience as are most things that are subjective such as sound. My experience with the set and my receiver could be much different then someone else with the identical setup. They could have a build up of earwax and the sound could be completely different for them. They could be part deaf or deaf to certain tones or frequencies and may not hear what I hear, even though the setup is identical.

Appreciate the info nonetheless.

Quote:
Kenwood VR-605, came out 9 years ago.
Can't see you daisy chaining the receiver with the E10

I'm in no way an expert on AKG headphones, but for $10 you can order an digital optical cable from Monoprice.
You can always compare the headphones between the Supreme and the Kenwood, see if there is a difference.
You can always order a Fiio E10 at a later date or do more research into external headphone amplifiers for the K702

One thing for sure is the Kenwood will have a lot more juice (overall) then the Fiio E10.
Each receiver manufacturer can build different quality into their headphone output.
So saying receivers can't power the K702 to me is a little premature without even testing it first.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Well, I agree that saying that the receiver won't power the K702's properly without testing it first, is indeed a bit premature. It's something that I definitely plan on doing before any other purchase.
However, I've been searching around the net and watched various youtube channels on the K702's and most tend to say that an amp is needed to run them how they should be run. That's not to say the Kenwood won't do the job. I am going to go so far as to say that needing an amp to run them is a pretty general statement and some people could be assuming that you either don't have a receiver, or you're looking for a specific sound from a specific amplifier, digital or analog.
I suppose that it's ultimately going to come down to my own personal experience as are most things that are subjective such as sound. My experience with the set and my receiver could be much different then someone else with the identical setup. They could have a build up of earwax and the sound could be completely different for them. They could be part deaf or deaf to certain tones or frequencies and may not hear what I hear, even though the setup is identical.
Appreciate the info nonetheless.

I've heard that AKGs like a little more juice then other 62-Ohm headphones.
Please post any test results between the Kenwood & Supreme.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back