Recabling Grados (RS-1's)?
Feb 23, 2006 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a little perplexed on the recabling opportunities for Grados in general.....

I've always seen the interest in aftermarket cables cables for Sennheisers. I assumed this was prevalent for two reasons:

1. Senns are "socketed" and easy to trade cables, and
2. Senn stock cables were lousy and needed improvement.

The mood I've always seen here regarding Grado recabling has been that it is not really worth it and that the original cable was good enough.

It seems with people modifying HF-1's, there is a sudden wave of belief that a better cable on a Grado DOES make a difference. Larry of Headphile states that he believes the cable is a least 1/2 the improvement going from a stock to a modded HF-1.

Since I see that (overall) improvement as pretty significant, why don't more people recable their Grados? For that matter, why not recable an RS-1 and really improve on that can? The stock cables are kind of a weird length anyways...recabling could offer a user the "perfect length".

I realize that headphile will not recable an RS-1, but there are other places that offer cables.....why is no one doing this? Try a search on RS-1 recabling....almost nothing out there.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 27
The main reason I would consider re-cabling my Grados is not because of any improvement in sound quality. I'm happy with how they sound, but I might consider a "re-cable" to try and eliminate/minimize the irritating cable twisting problem.

- augustwest

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 27
The reason no one is recabling the RS-1s is that you would have to separate the wooden cups to remove the existing cable. Since the cups are glued together, that could cause some serious problems.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
The reason no one is recabling the RS-1s is that you would have to separate the wooden cups to remove the existing cable. Since the cups are glued together, that could cause some serious problems.

From what I've heard, the cups come apart pretty easily.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68

It's the getting them back together part that seems to be the problem.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 27
If it was easy to do, people would be doing it. Theres also the matter of getting a cable small enough to fit in the holes.

I found there to be great sonic improvements by recabling a grado. The stock cable is not much better then the stock senn cable (the comparison has been done using my old ps-1 cable hehe).

Biggie.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 27
The RS1 earcup is all one piece. Basically the driver is glues into it, using some kind of VERY adhesive glue. On the HF1 the Driver housing is 2 pieces, held together with hot melt glue. Doesn't take much more than a hair dryer to pull the HF1 earcup apart.

PM doobooloo he has the only DIY RS1 recable I have ever seen. His looks very clean too.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 27
from what i remember of doo's post, his rs1 were pretty old also so it was easier to flake off the glue. i just looked at mine and i have no idea how i'd get the driver off without damaging either the driver itself or the wood.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 27
You probably could splice out the "Y" and recable everything from there on down. Not sure if that would be enough of a difference though. And you'll be adding a solder joint to the conduction path.

Garrett

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

why not recable an RS-1 and really improve on that can? The stock cables are kind of a weird length anyways...recabling could offer a user the "perfect length".

I realize that headphile will not recable an RS-1, but there are other places that offer cables.....why is no one doing this? Try a search on RS-1 recabling....almost nothing out there.

Here is a past thread discussing the logistical problems in recabling the all wood Grados (RS 1/2, MS-Pro)...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159785
Larry himself replied in that thread, basically saying that it was too risky a procedure. I don't blame him one bit since he would be financially responsible to replace a $700 headphone should anything go wrong.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I'm a little perplexed on the recabling opportunities for Grados in general.....

I've always seen the interest in aftermarket cables cables for Sennheisers. I assumed this was prevalent for two reasons:

1. Senns are "socketed" and easy to trade cables, and
2. Senn stock cables were lousy and needed improvement.

The mood I've always seen here regarding Grado recabling has been that it is not really worth it and that the original cable was good enough.

It seems with people modifying HF-1's, there is a sudden wave of belief that a better cable on a Grado DOES make a difference. Larry of Headphile states that he believes the cable is a least 1/2 the improvement going from a stock to a modded HF-1.

Since I see that (overall) improvement as pretty significant, why don't more people recable their Grados? For that matter, why not recable an RS-1 and really improve on that can? The stock cables are kind of a weird length anyways...recabling could offer a user the "perfect length".

very_evil_smiley.gif
cuz Grado's sound good the way they come - Senns you have to replace and add all kinds of crap to get them to sound good
evil_smiley.gif
partially kidding.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
It's the getting them back together part that seems to be the problem.

Funny when the RS-1/2 are a one piece housing! :p

You just remove the driver from the housing, which could be tricky.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

You just remove the driver from the housing, which could be tricky.

The quickest way to take them apart is with a 5lb sledge. Getting them back together, another story...

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
The quickest way to take them apart is with a 5lb sledge. Getting them back together, another story...

Quote:

Sure guys...make fun of the guy who doesn't know how to take an RS-1 apart
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back