Recabling Grados (RS-1's)?
Aug 1, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Grado RS-1 recabled (click thumbnail to view)

Please, tell us more. How did it work? was it worth it? Don't spare any words or additional photos.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 27
Another issue is the sonic flavor of the cable and in what ways it will affect the sound. After briefly owning an HHF-1 I would clearly want to know what the cable is going to sound like and what it does to the sound. It would be next to impossible to try out different cables, you almost would have to hope for the best with what you slap on there. With absolute admiration and respect for Larry and what he does, I personally didn't like what the HHF-1 sounded like and I think much of it was due to the cable. The HHF-1 sounded a bit thinner to me with a very delicate and almost nimble top end that was not my cup of tea. I also felt the sound was a bit weaker and had lost some density and impact which I think some may perceive as "refined" sounding. I attribute a lot of that due to the signature of silver cable, at least based on my experiences with silver interconnects and their sound signature, or maybe that particular silver cable used in that HHF-1 which I personally found to be a mismatch and lacked synergy with the HF-1. Obviously some like the enhancement this cable has made to HF-1's and other cans, this is just my opinion. I think HF-1's, or Grado's for that matter, can benefit from a cable upgrade but I'd want to know what it's going to sound like in the end.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Another issue is the sonic flavor of the cable and in what ways it will affect the sound. After briefly owning an HHF-1 I would clearly want to know what the cable is going to sound like and what it does to the sound. It would be next to impossible to try out different cables, you almost would have to hope for the best with what you slap on there. With absolute admiration and respect for Larry and what he does, I personally didn't like what the HHF-1 sounded like and I think much of it was due to the cable. The HHF-1 sounded a bit thinner to me with a very delicate and almost nimble top end that was not my cup of tea. I also felt the sound was a bit weaker and had lost some density and impact which I think some may perceive as "refined" sounding. I attribute a lot of that due to the signature of silver cable, at least based on my experiences with silver interconnects and their sound signature, or maybe that particular silver cable used in that HHF-1 which I personally found to be a mismatch and lacked synergy with the HF-1. Obviously some like the enhancement this cable has made to HF-1's and other cans, this is just my opinion. I think HF-1's, or Grado's for that matter, can benefit from a cable upgrade but I'd want to know what it's going to sound like in the end.

x2
No disrespect to Larry, his work or craftsmanship... To my ears the HHF1 lacked a lot of the Grado signature slam and body whallop that makes wood Grados so much fun. At first it was fun and different. But after a while I was like... Hey... wheres the "heat"??... why so distant sounding? Its all a matter of preference though really.

I too would hesitate with a permanent RS1 re-cable. IMHO an interchangeable / plugable design would be better.

Garrett

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 27
recabling an rs-1/rs-2/ms-pro isnt terribly dificult.

it does pose a special risk as you do have to work closer to the drivers as opposed to the "cups" with other grados. you also wind up making little "bite marks" in the inner rim of the cups. the obvious answer: your ears dont see, and the pads cover the seam anyways.

i recabled a rs-2, it was not terribly dificult.

As far as getting a diferent cable in the hole, a LITTLE work with a circular file by hand (i think i removed maybe a milimeter probably less) does the job nicely. that was to fit a 2X22ga (silver plated coper/teflon) with a shoelace cover to prevent microphonics. a thinner sheath would probably not posea problem. i have no idea whay people still use the microphonic increasing cable sheath often called techflex. share wisdonm with me.

previous threads seem to indicate that grado uses nicer cables stock than senheisser. swapping a grado cable into a senn yeilds improvements.

if you used SMALL plugs, im pretty sure you could get a swapable cabled grado done up by enlarging the stock holes. again, the file is your friend.

do this at your own risk, if you do so at all.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 27
I want to perform yet another mod on my once 125's (originally recabled them in star quad, but that is a little too stiff for my liking in the end). I have a spare 15' Grado extension cord and since the site claims no degradation in SQ, I assume that it must mean Grado uses the UHLPC cord used in the upper echelon grado 'phones. Anyway, has anyone ever opened up one of the Grado accessory cables? Can anyone comment?

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2
No disrespect to Larry, his work or craftsmanship... To my ears the HHF1 lacked a lot of the Grado signature slam and body whallop that makes wood Grados so much fun. At first it was fun and different. But after a while I was like... Hey... wheres the "heat"??... why so distant sounding? Its all a matter of preference though really.
Garrett

LOL. When the HHF-1 started out it was better than sliced bread to so many members. Now I see comments like yours (and Sean H) and see people selling their HHF-1's in droves on the used forum....

Personally, I've been pretty happy with my HHF-1. IMO it compares very favorable to an RS-2, but has a little more body and is very easy to listen to due to tamed brightness and overall warmth. The RS-2 on the other hand has a little more soundstage and better instrument separation.

Whatever the other failings, I have trouble believing that anyone would think that an HHF-1 lacks body and the Grado punch...but I realize that we all hear different (and each HHF-1 has a different sound depending upon wood type and other factors).

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
LOL. When the HHF-1 started out it was better than sliced bread to so many members. Now I see comments like yours (and Sean H) and see people selling their HHF-1's in droves on the used forum....

Whatever the other failings, I have trouble believing that anyone would think that an HHF-1 lacks body and the Grado punch...but I realize that we all hear different (and each HHF-1 has a different sound depending upon wood type and other factors).

Oh, man, I didn't even realize you owned an HHF-1. Sorry, there wasn't any sort of hidden message behind my post or anything. I had lmilhan's pair, with Zebrawood. They just seemed thinner sounding to me, more distant and lacked some impact compared to my HF-1. They didn't lack body and punch they just seemed to have less of this compared to my HF-1. What pads do you use and what wood do you have?

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Oh, man, I didn't even realize you owned an HHF-1....Sorry

Don't be sorry, the fact that we all have different opinions is what makes this place interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

I use bowls and have regular depth Paduak with blacksilver cable. I extensively compared them to an RS-2 (and RS-1) and decided I loved the HHF-1 and RS-2. I've been wondering since then if a recabled RS-2 would take the cake.

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Oh, man, I didn't even realize you owned an HHF-1. Sorry, there wasn't any sort of hidden message behind my post or anything. I had lmilhan's pair, with Zebrawood. They just seemed thinner sounding to me, more distant and lacked some impact compared to my HF-1. They didn't lack body and punch they just seemed to have less of this compared to my HF-1. What pads do you use and what wood do you have?

I think... maybe I chose the wrong words... "body and punch"??... They just didn't really sound like Grados, Not all together bad, just different.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I think... maybe I chose the wrong words... "body and punch"??... They just didn't really sound like Grados, Not all together bad, just different.

No, no, I used your words because I agreed with you and you took the words out of my mouth. I think we both mean "comparably speaking," they lack punch and body compared to the HF-1 but would say in the general they *don't* all out lack punch and body - which is what I meant and I believe you were saying too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 27
I too wondered about recabling my RS-2s at one point. But now that they are broke in, there is no way on earth I could even think about changing them. I like this just the way nature... err John intended them to sound
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back