Recabled ER4P Or monster cable Turbine pro copper?
Apr 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

musicbased

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, it's my birthday soon, and as a special treat to myself,i am thinking about upgrading from my recabled etyomtic er4p, to something better!

It's a bit of a risk, as i think i would have to sell the ety's to be able to afford the new ones!
triportsad.gif

Having just read the new 'earphone and IEM buyer guide', and am now very interested in the monster cable turbine pro copper edition.

Does anyone know how these compare to Etymotic ER4P/S??

My source is a Hifiman HM -801...

Any help would be great!...

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 21
What's your ER4P recabled with - APureSound cable? If that's the case, I doubt the Turbine Pro Coppers will be much of a sonic improvement, and Playback tends to write overwhelmingly positive reviews. Besides, the sound signatures are totally different. If you wanted something that sounds like the ER4P, the UM3X would probably be more suitable, or you might as well start looking into customs, now that there are cheaper models on the market.

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 21
Second on that. Neither is a replacement for the other. You might like MTPCs but will soon start missing ER4Ps (that is, if you enjoyed your ER4Ps to begin with). ER4Ps are quite expensive nowadays so it may not be a bad idea to hold on to them. 

But if you really want to upgrade... looking into customs might not be a bad idea. Personally, I want to wait until I have tried/collected most high-end universals, and start generating more income, before I set foot into the custom arena. But getting your feet wet and getting a preview is not a bad choice. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 21
You're comparing apples to oranges. The er4p is all about a mid and treble focused sound signature, which purposely reduces bass in order to artificially boost detail resolution. The copper is going to also be detailed, but much warmer with greater sub and mid bass emphasis. You may end up liking the sound, but it is also possible that after the etys the MTPC will be too bass heavy for your tastes. Whether you like the new set of earphones is going to be a gamble.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 21
er4pEtymonics aren't dynamics right?

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 21
I just received some MD Tributes which are considered an upgrade.  I also have ER4ps but I dont use them since one ear has shorted out.  You should list your music preferences so we can help us out.  Also what did you think of the UM2s which would help us give you a better opinion.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
I just received some MD Tributes which are considered an upgrade.  I also have ER4ps but I dont use them since one ear has shorted out.  You should list your music preferences so we can help us out.  Also what did you think of the UM2s which would help us give you a better opinion.

I thought the MDs were on the same level as the Turbine Pros, but with a slightly different sound signature, more accessories and a higher price. Besides, recabled ER4s (with APureSound, at least) have been described as sounding noticeably different. As for your pair, why not just replace the cable on the ER4Ps? Then you can use them again, unless the problem is in the earphone body.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the sound is pretty different overall then. The review makes it sound like they should be very similar to ER4P.
Yes i have the Apresound recable. I do love the sound of them, but i have only ever owned ER4P, so i don't know how anything compares really.

I guess i wouldn't mind a bassier sound, but i don't want to lose any of the detail of the er4 ideally.

I like mostly electronic music, and make my own music too, so i like to be able to hear all the details as accurately as possible, and trust the mixes to make changes etc.

Hmm, maybe i am fine with what i have then, until the world of customs that is!...

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 21
To be honest, I think you're fine with the ER4Ps for now, although for a change you could certainly try the Turbine Coppers. Otherwise, I guess it's customs, and then you're truly afflicted with the curse of Head-Fi.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the sound is pretty different overall then. The review makes it sound like they should be very similar to ER4P.
Yes i have the Apresound recable. I do love the sound of them, but i have only ever owned ER4P, so i don't know how anything compares really.

I guess i wouldn't mind a bassier sound, but i don't want to lose any of the detail of the er4 ideally.

I like mostly electronic music, and make my own music too, so i like to be able to hear all the details as accurately as possible, and trust the mixes to make changes etc.

Hmm, maybe i am fine with what i have then, until the world of customs that is!...

DBA-02

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks for that Anaxilus, those DBA-02 look very interesting, and quite cheap too!

I am very curious to read how they compare to the ER4.
i haven't managed to find any direct comparisons on here, but most people seem to agree that they are very good though.

I'm off to do more research!...

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Stick with the recabled Ety's. They haven't made something that can reproduce sound more accurately than the Ety's for even double the price these days...

The priciest earphone I've owned are Westone UM2's and although I prefer the sonic signature of the UM2's, accuracy is still awarded to the ER4P's. You gotta thank headphone meets to be able to compare sounds like that!

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 21
Yes, there really doesn't seem to be much else to compete until the world of customs.
I have decided to start saving up for that instead!-The JH13/16 look like the next step for me...
etysmile.gif
One day...

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 21
If the ER4 is so accurate and perfect then why did you upgrade the cable?  As great as the ER4S (hated the P myself) was it has plenty of shortcomings that don't match up to the natural sound of real life to my ears.  Diffuse field Eq is all well and good but that doesn't make the ER4 the best universal out there unless you like that sound and perceived 'accuracy'.  I doubt comments like 'going to meets' means you have heard every universal under the sun.   

Regardless, I agree you should just step up to customs if you are able and skip most others.  There are a few worthy universals to consider but they approach custom prices anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back