Rebel Amp
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #271 of 305
Received my new RebelAmp last week, finally able to sit down and start rocking it. Can't wait to see what all the hub-bub is about. First headphone, the AKG K712 Pro. Let's go!

What's the general wisdom regarding the gain settings? Do they all sound roughly the same or is there a bit of a quality differential between H/M/L? I'mma just pop it on medium for now

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #273 of 305
Received my new RebelAmp last week, finally able to sit down and start rocking it. Can't wait to see what all the hub-bub is about. First headphone, the AKG K712 Pro. Let's go!

What's the general wisdom regarding the gain settings? Do they all sound roughly the same or is there a bit of a quality differential between H/M/L? I'mma just pop it on medium for now
I just left it on Medium most of the time. Nice clear amp with good bass. It looks great too, although I had the black.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #274 of 305
I just left it on Medium most of the time. Nice clear amp with good bass. It looks great too, although I had the black.
Oh, I totally got the green one. I have enough black boxes on my desk already, lol

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #275 of 305

Medium gain sounds best if volume is where it should be. ie should be using in 11 to 2 pm range on most recordings. Medium gain a bit smoother than high gain without loss of dynamics.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #276 of 305
Hi,

I found high setting best for sound quality.

Of late I run it High setting with max volume, and actual volume is controlled by dac.

heh, I'm the opposite. Low gain with nearly max volume on the pot unless I need more (then I'll change to medium), max volume from my source

If I run it high gain max volume, the noise floor is very audible with my headphones

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #278 of 305
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #279 of 305
This is the most unscientific test ever, because not only is this a new amp to me, but my Bifrost 2/64 DAC is also very new to me, as is this K712 Pro. So I'm hearing a whole heap of qualities I haven't heard before and I have no idea if I can attribute them to the amp or the DAC or the headphone. The entire audio chain is basically new to me. But either way, I'm having a great time! lol

I've seen some talk this amp being "fully burned in" after about 100 hours, and I'm still very skeptical about the idea of burn-in, especially with solid-state amps, but then again it's not like it takes much effort. I'll just leave my PC on playing music to nobody 24/7 for a few days. Worst case scenario, I'll waste a few bucks in electricity for no effect. Boohoo.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #281 of 305
1. Does this amp really roll off sub bass? I've seen that claimed a couple of time and I think if that was true people would not be so positive about it.
2. In what scenario would somebody pick this over a Jotunheim 2? What does it do better or worse?

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #282 of 305
1. Does this amp really roll off sub bass? I've seen that claimed a couple of time and I think if that was true people would not be so positive about it.
2. In what scenario would somebody pick this over a Jotunheim 2? What does it do better or worse?

Never noticed any bass roll off. That sounds strange, unless by the cans are very difficult to drive (like he6)

It's a great amp.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #283 of 305
I haven't noticed any bass roll of either. It's just a great amp for IEM and easier to drive headphones.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #284 of 305
Owned both amps at the same time...but ultimately decided to move on from the Rebel because my preference is for a fully balanced setup.

1. Not really. It runs on the warmer end of neutral but very clean amp overall.
2. Low Gain for IEMs, has a preference towards SE or wants a boutique amp. There isn't really an in-between for the Jot 2 in terms of volume. Its got plenty of power but there really isn't a use case beyond 9 o'clock in either high or low gain unless you want hearing damage. Jot 2 is not very good for lower impedance headphones or IEMs and it doesn't help that there are only 2 gain options. Low gain is still overpowering. You get a lot of hiss in the SE output for IEMs, even at low volumes, and if you use a 4.4 mm to 4-pin XLR, you're blasting your ears out at 8 o'clock on the dial. The SE out on Rebel is better than SE out on Jot 2 for headphones. Also, Schiit's house sound tends to emphasis a bit more slam but lacks in airiness or soundstage (width, depth and height). The Rebel is a bit better on that front.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #285 of 305
The Rebel Audio RebelAmp outperforms my Schiit Jotunheim 2 with all of my planar magnetic headphones.
The Schiit Jotunheim 2 outperforms my Rebel Audio RebelAmp with some of my dynamic driver headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back