Rebel Amp
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #288 of 296
Jotunheim is not a class A amp the way that the Rebel is. Jotunheim is a version of Schiit's Continuity, which I don't even remotely understand how it works, but I do know it doesn't rely on high quiescent current the same way that the Rebel does.

But don't get hung up on that sort of technical distinction, results matter much more than that. The amp either sounds good with the rest of your gear, or it doesn't.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #290 of 296
I was under the impression that Jot2 was class A until it hit a specific power draw. But true, it doesn't really matter.
I know that's true of the Singxer SA1, but I'd never heard that about the Jot

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #291 of 296
All I can find that anyone says with any certainty (but without being able to verify) is that the Jotunheim runs at 1/4 the bias of the Asgard 3, and that the Asgard 3 runs with 500 mW of Class A bias. But that's pretty meaningless without knowing voltages, currents, or how Continuity works.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #292 of 296
All I can find that anyone says with any certainty (but without being able to verify) is that the Jotunheim runs at 1/4 the bias of the Asgard 3, and that the Asgard 3 runs with 500 mW of Class A bias. But that's pretty meaningless without knowing voltages, currents, or how Continuity works.
So roughly 125mW assuming everything else is the same even though it probably isn't? :upside_down:

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #293 of 296
Yeah, but it's a meaningless figure without knowing the voltage and quiescent current. Schiit saying '500 mW' of class A for the Asgard is a really silly way of saying it, comparing it with the Jotunheim with a different schematic is double silly, and then comparing that to the Rebel is triple silly. It just plain doesn't matter.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #294 of 296
I love my Rebel amp but have been looking at GS-X mini recently. Can anyone offer some insight? I've never heard the GS-X but it sounds similar but better? It does have a balanced output which is nice. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #295 of 296
I love my Rebel amp but have been looking at GS-X mini recently. Can anyone offer some insight? I've never heard the GS-X but it sounds similar but better? It does have a balanced output which is nice. Any thoughts would be appreciated
I own both the Rebel Audio RebelAmp and the HeadAmp GS-X Mini. They sound absolutely nothing alike. My RebelAmp pairs slightly better with my planar magnetic headphones to my ears over the GS-X Mini. The GS-X Mini pairs capably with all planar magnetic AND all dynamic driver headphones. The GS-X Mini is a power house able to drive any headphone including my HiFiMan HE6se V2 to much louder uncomfortable levels than all other amps of my headphone amplifier collection with the exception of my Questyle CMA Twelve. I also don't care for the heat that the GS-X Mini puts out since I live in the desert.
Now that I have experienced the DACT stepped audio attenuator (this is a $200 upgrade when ordering) in my GS-X Mini, I absolutely LOVE DACT stepped attenuators over traditional common potentiometers. Some people notice no or little improvement with the DACT upgrade, so your mileage may vary.
I actually don't use my HeadAmp GS-X Mini very often. If I had to narrow my collection down to three amplifiers, I would keep my Questyle CMA Twelve, Quicksilver, and RSA Emmeline II The Raptor. The HeadAmp GS-X Mini wouldn't make the list even though it has some serious muscle. I would let go of my GS-X Mini first before I ever let go of my RebelAmp.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #296 of 296
I own both the Rebel Audio RebelAmp and the HeadAmp GS-X Mini. They sound absolutely nothing alike. My RebelAmp pairs slightly better with my planar magnetic headphones to my ears over the GS-X Mini. The GS-X Mini pairs capably with all planar magnetic AND all dynamic driver headphones. The GS-X Mini is a power house able to drive any headphone including my HiFiMan HE6se V2 to much louder uncomfortable levels than all other amps of my headphone amplifier collection with the exception of my Questyle CMA Twelve. I also don't care for the heat that the GS-X Mini puts out since I live in the desert.
Now that I have experienced the DACT stepped audio attenuator (this is a $200 upgrade when ordering) in my GS-X Mini, I absolutely LOVE DACT stepped attenuators over traditional common potentiometers. Some people notice no or little improvement with the DACT upgrade, so your mileage may vary.
I actually don't use my HeadAmp GS-X Mini very often. If I had to narrow my collection down to three amplifiers, I would keep my Questyle CMA Twelve, Quicksilver, and RSA Emmeline II The Raptor. The HeadAmp GS-X Mini wouldn't make the list even though it has some serious muscle. I would let go of my GS-X Mini first before I ever let go of my RebelAmp.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that all of my HeadAmp headphone amplifiers including the GS-X Mini produce a presentation that has pronounced brightness in relative comparison to other brands of amplifiers. This can sometimes be a positive characteristic to some headphones. The RebelAmp amplifier produces a presentation that I would call sweet, when paired with planar magnetic headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back