Reasonably priced, comfortable closed cans with decent isolation?
Jan 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Bose AE2's for when I need closed cans. The sound quality isn't great, sort of tin-canny, but it's not too bad, and the comfort and isolation are good. I've tried various "audiophile-approved" closed cans but they've all disappointed me in one way or another. Some are uncomfortable. Some (Noontec Zoro, Creative Aurvana Live, etc) have poor isolation with makes them pointless because I may as well just use open cans that sound better.

I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:

-circumaural can with good comfort. Not too heavy, not supra aural, no too much clamping force.
-decent isolation and not a lot of leakage
-I'd like to spend $100 or less but I could possibly look to buy more expensive ones on the used market
-decent sensitivity, not requiring an amp
-decent sound quality. I would like them to be neutral-ish or warm, no fatiguing treble spikes.

I was thinking of trying the HD280. There's a pair for sale locally. How are they?

What about the Logitech UE6000?

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 3
Both HD280 and UE6k are good.
Isolation will be best on HD280, but I like UE6000 better going by sound.
HD280 clamps hard but becomes more comfortable as the earpads conform to your head with use.  UE6k is very comfortable.
You might end up liking both if you give HD280 a chance, but otherwise go for UE6k.
I don't remember how well the UE isolates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back