Reasonably cheap, durable earbuds?
Jul 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WC Annihilus

Head-Fier
So I've had a set of Yuin PK3s and OK3s both die on me in under a year each and another set of OK3s starting to go out on me, and I'm getting tired of replacing them.  I love their sound but I guess I'm just not careful enough with the cords (ends up getting caught on things a lot >.>).  I suppose I could try to be more careful, but I'm a lazy bum and would rather get something that'll last yet still give solid sound.

So, I'm looking for a new set of earbuds that has decent sound and a durable cord I won't really have to worry about.  I'd prefer it to be $50 or less, though I'd be willing to go up to $100 or so if it really is worth it and will last for sure.  Also to reiterate, I strongly prefer earbuds, not IEMs.  I'm not terribly opposed to clip-ons, but earbuds are still preferred.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 9
I had the same problem with multiple pairs of PK3 and PK2. It was always the exact same problem, the cable broke internally at the point where it leaves the 3.5mm jack.

I would suggest going with the new Sennheiser buds (MX580, MX880, MX980, depending on your budget). I have replaced the Yuins with the MX980 and they are absolutely brilliant... and the reviews for MX580 and MX880 here are very positive too. The only small problem I had is that the driver enclosures are slightly larger, so it took some time to adjust to the different feeling, but after a week or so it's perfect.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm new here and am in the exact same situation as you are WC annihilus, except I had the PK2's and I broke them while at work. Snagged the cable and now the left earbud doesn't work. So i'm looking for new earbuds that are durable, somewhat affordable ($60 or less) and good sound. Mostly listen to alternative rock, a little rap here and there. The Sennheisers are tempting but hopefully there will be more suggestions in the coming days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the sennheiser MX760 , but my understanding is that they are hard to find. Great earbuds so I guess other sennheisers are too. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I had the same problem with multiple pairs of PK3 and PK2. It was always the exact same problem, the cable broke internally at the point where it leaves the 3.5mm jack.

I would suggest going with the new Sennheiser buds (MX580, MX880, MX980, depending on your budget). I have replaced the Yuins with the MX980 and they are absolutely brilliant... and the reviews for MX580 and MX880 here are very positive too. The only small problem I had is that the driver enclosures are slightly larger, so it took some time to adjust to the different feeling, but after a week or so it's perfect.

Yep, same problem with mine.  Anyways, those Senns look like they could fit the bill.  Anyone have thoughts on whether the MX880 is worth it over the MX580?  Certainly I like things cheaper, but the MX880 is still within the range I'd be willing to pay if it's worth it ($55 at B&H, though OOS at the moment).  Any other general thoughts/suggestions would be welcome as well.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I'm in nearly the same situation as you, WC. I have PK3 which is still working, but I'm looking to upgrade. I ordered the MX580 a few days ago, and it should arrive on Tuesday. I'll post my impressions of it compared to the PK3 when I get it, if you'd like.

I'm in the same position as OP, too, and that would be awesome if you could

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Got the MX580s in today. I posted this in my other thread, but I'll post it here so y'all don't have to go looking for it.

PK3 vs MX580:
Quote:

Comfort is about the same, for me. The MX580s seem to be just a tad larger than the PK3s. Not a problem for me, but might be for others.

Highs: Crisp, clear, fairly detailed, and never harsh. Love the highs.
Mids: A little on the recessed side, compared to the PK3s, but not by a lot. Still clear and detailed. Vocals come through just fine, so the mids don't bother me.
Lows: Compared to my burnt-in PK3s... the low end is anemic. It's well-defined, not muddy at all, but it's definitely recessed. I'm hoping burning in will help this - I know I thought that the lows on the PK3 were anemic at first, too, and that definitely changed after some good burn-in time.

I can't really comment on the soundstage, because I haven't put enough listening time into the MX580s to tell the difference, but if I had to guess.. they have a good bit wider soundstage. not as "in your face" as the PK3s, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. Overall, the MX580s are more precise, clearer, and more detailed. They aren't as "fun" though, and thus far in my usage of them, they make a lot of songs lack impact that would otherwise be a blast to listen to on the PK3s (The Glitch Mob, Massive Attack, Dredg, and rock in general, I think). This could easily change with more burn in time, so I will have to get back and post impressions post-burn-in at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back