Reasonable amp for the HD650.
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Szabi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Short version: I'd like to ask some help regarding choosing a nice and not so expensive amp for my HD-650s.

To make this a bit more easier:

Currently my setup looks like this:

Home rig: [Foobar2000] -> optical cable -> E-MU 0404 USB -> HD-650

On the Go/Office Workhorse: Ipod Classic 160GB (late 2009 version) -> HD-25

Maybe it's just me, but lately i started to feel that the 650's might actually lack power. Truth to be told, in the past 2-3 years i did not realy have the time to give a good listen to my home rig and i had been sticking mainly to my "portable rig" and somehow going back to the 650s felt weird. Not that I dislike it, but in some cases it felt "dull".

Some years ago I've spent quite some time here reading reviews and I remember that common aggreement was that the HD650 will come alive with proper amping.

Now that i'm thinking about "resurrecting my old hobby", my question would be: could I improve my current rig with an amp (or amp/dac combo if you think the 0404 would become a bottleneck) for a reasonable price to get a noticable improvement?

I would not like to spend more than 200-300$. I don't mind getting something used, but i certainly would like to avoid spending big bucks on somehting which I can't use as much as I would actually like to.

I do mainly listen to Prog.electronica, some Prog.rock (Pink Floyd), Trip Hop, Dub and so on.
I'm certainly not a basshead. The bass and punch what the HD25 paired with the IPod provides me is perfectly enough for my ears.

Thanks,
Szabolcs

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 16
Supposedly the Valhalla works well with the HD650. 
Old one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-02-Valhalla-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004LCH5KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409625824&sr=8-2&keywords=schiit+valhalla
The new one is 70$ more or so i believe.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 16
  Hi,

Short version: I'd like to ask some help regarding choosing a nice and not so expensive amp for my HD-650s.

Home rig: [Foobar2000] -> optical cable -> E-MU 0404 USB -> HD-650

I got to try a friend's E-MU too, and to me it seemed like it confused "flat response" with "flattened dynamic range." It sounded too lazy for me - there's no verve to the music, percussion sounded hollow (like how the drums sound on Nightwish's Angels Fall First, which they remastered later), bass guitars had acceptable decay but they were barely audible to begin with (although I'd rather have this than excessive bloom and slow decay).

I cannot tell however if it's also the DAC, but if I was in your situation and I'd start with the amp first, I'd go with the Schiit Asgard2 ($249) or the Meier Corda Jazz ($399). I've tried the original Asgard plus the Headfive and a lot of other Meier amps, and currrently using the Meier Cantate.2, and I'm really inclined to go with these. AudioGDs are good too if you want a one-box solution with a good DAC, that way you can compare the EMU's DAC vs the AudioGD (get the Earth if you pick one that can come with any of the different HDAMs)

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Since i'm living in EU, the Meier or the Audio GD amps are more "in reach" for me.
The Jazz is a bit out of the budget though - what about the Rock? DId anyone try it with the 650?
From the Audio GD range, i could get the NFB-11 which falls into the range, but as far as i can see, that's quite fresh.
Any thoughts?

BR,
Szabolcs

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 16
Audiogd rockkks :)

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 16
They sound dull because they're HD650s, they have noticeably rolled off treble. An amp is not going to change that unless it doesn't measure flat, in which case it's not an amp, it's EQ.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 16
They work beautifully with my Schiit Asgard 2. I was in the same position as you and was using a Furutech GT40 DAC/AMP for 2 years and felt that the phones were indeed dull. Boring in fact. Actually thought I had been conned buying them used and that they were fakes! But here's the thing: the Furutech output was a paltry 10mw into 300ohms I later sussed out. Gee whiz. Not good. So reading up tons here I settled on the Schiit. Suffice to say...it is indeed the Schiit. Oh my word im now turning up the volume like i have never before...effortless power! Sorry did someone say the Senns are dull? No way on earth are they dull unless you crave the harsh sounds of a Grado. The Senns positively sparkle with proper amping.

Now I've also bought the Schiit Bifrost Uber USB...and this combo has taken the Senns to a wholly higher level. I never truly enjoyed headphone audio - I have a great stereo system - until now.

I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2.2 pre Fazor too. The Senns are really now not that far behind them which is amazing as I only paid £150.00 for them...and use them more than the LCD. Go figure.

But hey wot do I know? I'm only a Brit across the pond after all.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 16
The Jazz is a bit out of the budget though - what about the Rock? DId anyone try it with the 650?

I haven't yet, although it gets good reviews. The reason why I mentioned the Jazz instead is because I've listened to the older amps with somewhat similar designs, and of course the most significant change in the Jazz (and Classic) is the digitally-controlled potentiometer with an analog input for control (the product page has a clearer description of it). Of course, I wouldn't really think the Rock would sound drastically different, as Meier amps tend to not have a sound of their own (ie neutral, but very gutsy/powerful, delivering dynamic range for what you pay for).

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 16
I haven't tried the HD650 with it, but I have the Corda Rock. I have tried the Rock with my NFB-11 dac, and I like the extra power of the NFB-11 amp. But the Corda Rock is a good small amp. I'd go with the NFB-11 because the DAC is top notch, too.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm in the same boat.  I'm now looking for a cheap, but decent sounding amp to us with my laptop.  I was browsing Amazon for "tube headphone amps" and many popped up right in my price range.  I really just want more volume.  

What do you guys think of this amp with the HD 650's?

Bravo Audio V2 Class A 12AU7 Tube Multi-Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417116658&sr=1-1&keywords=tube+headphone+amp

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 16
  The Objective2 amp is probably the cheapest one I'd use with an HD 650.  

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Objective2-Headphone-adapter-batteries-installed/dp/B00E0RKQC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417118305&sr=1-2&keywords=Objective2

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 16

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Objective2-Headphone-adapter-batteries-installed/dp/B00E0RKQC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417118305&sr=1-2&keywords=Objective2

That or the JDS Labs one, sound quality should be identical.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 16

That or the JDS Labs one, sound quality should be identical.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Ok thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back