Realtek HD audio
Sep 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by noparanoia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to bump my own thread, but could anyone here explain to me what ASIO is, and how I can use it to improve sound quality

I don't see ASIO working in itunes natively. your only option to get bit-perfect in itunes would be the Reclock way AFAIK.

PS: apparently some smart guys get itunes to output through foobar: ASIO Output with iTunes -- Multi-Plugin --

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by noparanoia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to bump my own thread, but could anyone here explain to me what ASIO is, and how I can use it to improve sound quality

From Wikki:

ASIO bypasses the normal audio path from the user application through layers of intermediary Windows operating system software, so that the application connects directly to the soundcard hardware.

Each layer that is bypassed means a reduction in latency, the delay between an application sending sound information and it being reproduced by the soundcard, or input signals from the soundcard being available to the application. In this way ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently.

Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency of Windows audio mixing kernels (KMixer), allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware. Unlike KMixer, an unmixed ASIO output is "bit identical", that is, the bits sent to the sound card are identical to those of the original WAV file, thus having higher audio fidelity.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #18 of 30
Foobar + ASIO is a much easier solution than trying to conform iTunes to a more lossless codec friendly environment.

Just install ASIO4ALL, then configure foobar output for ASIO/Your soundcard.

Lots of google search results for detailed walkthroughs with pics!

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 30
With regards to foobar, WASAPI is much simpler to setup now than ASIO (and ASIO4ALL for that matter), especially since you have 7 installed. Simply download to plugin, set the output to WASAPI, and most times, that's all you need to get bit-perfect playback.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 30
ASIO4ALL is a KS>ASIO wrapper, so WASAPI in foobar will do...at least to run tests.

maybe the OP really likes the itunes GUI after all, so it might be worthy to try making it output through foobar's engine...it might as well benefit from foobar's superior mp3 decoder/32bit float DSP processing(a la Amarra), dunno.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #21 of 30
To objectively measure the sound quality you could do some measurements with Rightmark Audio Analyzer (RMAA). It's quite simple. You plug a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable into the output and input of your soundcard and hit a button.
If you still have the components of your previously used setup you could do a side-by-side comparison.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 30
This is a very old thread but I need to comment on Realtek onboard HD audio (2009/2010 build PC)...

I bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 pro audio card a year ago or so because I thought I should have the best sound feeding my vintage Rotel amp and B&W speakers.

It didn't sound particularly better than the Realtek but I left it as the primary device anyway. I may even have been kidding myself it was better.

Enter a pair of Audio Technica A700 headphones (yummmmmm!!!!) and they sounded superb through the PC's headphone jack (Realtek)
Then I decided to get a Little Dot MkIII - and the whole setup  lacked something when I connected the Little Dot MkIII to the M-Audio card.

So I've switched back to the Realtek, connected to the Little Dot. MILES better!!! Punchier attack, deeper lows, crisper highs - maybe a touch less soundstage but I like the attack and crispness thank you very much.

Conclusion: Current Realtek chipset as implemented in my Dell Vostro 200 (cheap PC!) is better than the M-Audio card!!!!

The Little Dot does add something (Phew! Thank goodness!) but this M-Audio card's gotta go!

Verdict for headphone listening:
BEST: Built-in Realtek HD Audio plus Little Dot MKIII
VERY GOOD: Built-in Realtek HD Audio, front headphone jack
DISAPPOINTING: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

I'm amazed quite frankly but you can't argue with the sound.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #23 of 30
Audio chips are not "horrible" as some make them out to be. They can be quite good. I have a Realtek chip in my laptop which is about a little more than a year old, and its frankly quite good. I honestly would rather listen to music than nitpick theoretical differences between soundcards and whether or not it'll actually make my music sound different to my ears (unlikely).

Sit back and enjoy the music and don't worry about it.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 30
Hey guys sorry to bump this old thread. Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I could just crash in here.

My laptop has Realtek HD Audio as well. I think the sound is fairly well but please note that I haven't tried any good audiophile or gaming soundcards like Creative or Asus.
I reckon that most people will recommend upgrading the soundcard because they often overlook the Realtek HD Audio with the old Realtek (didn't remember the series name) soundcard. However, these are just my thoughts.

Now, as many head-fiers will do, I would like to upgrade my sound system from my laptop (Asus F81Se) but I need some opinions especially if you have experiences with Realtek HD Audio.
I'm listening through Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm as my main output and mp3/FLACs as my media.
I have a list of several options, please comment or advise.

A = Realtek HD Audio > External soundcard > Amp

B = Realtek HD Audio > DAC > Amp

C = USB DAC > Amp

D = Realtek HD Audio > External soundcard > DAC > Amp

I just want to know which route is better and why. Since this issue is mainly focus on the soundcard, my allocated budget for the soundcard is around $100. I'm also open to suggestions and model recommendations. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just want to add that I didn't notice any hissing on my Realtek, it's very silent on my laptop.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 30
Im in the same boat. There's just too much gear in the 100$ range now. I spent weeks pouring over whats on amazon, and reading threads on that gear there. From what I read, concerning usb, theres only so much and so far you can go in that price range. I have several laptops and a few work computers (non upgradable with sound cards) I listen to audio on, and the only way to by pass the internal mic amps and built in sound is a usb device. I decided on the creative xfi hd, since it has the outputs I want. It should be here by friday, then I can start looking at amps to use with it. So >x-fi hd>rca outs or spdif out to ...something or other....maybe an older 5.1 yamaha reciever or an asgaard. I suspect the reciever would color the audio with its own dac (not sure on this), so maybe a dedicated amp at the end of this chain would work better. I'll post back with how it sounds from the x-fi hd.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 30
Probably a more simple question for my post was, will there be significant improvement over Realtek HD Audio if I use any decent aftermarket soundcard? I'm sorry I'm not good in computer audio stuffs.

Quote:
Im in the same boat. There's just too much gear in the 100$ range now. I spent weeks pouring over whats on amazon, and reading threads on that gear there. From what I read, concerning usb, theres only so much and so far you can go in that price range. I have several laptops and a few work computers (non upgradable with sound cards) I listen to audio on, and the only way to by pass the internal mic amps and built in sound is a usb device. I decided on the creative xfi hd, since it has the outputs I want. It should be here by friday, then I can start looking at amps to use with it. So >x-fi hd>rca outs or spdif out to ...something or other....maybe an older 5.1 yamaha reciever or an asgaard. I suspect the reciever would color the audio with its own dac (not sure on this), so maybe a dedicated amp at the end of this chain would work better. I'll post back with how it sounds from the x-fi hd.

Do you mean the Premium HD or the Titanium HD?

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #29 of 30
Probably a more simple question for my post was, will there be significant improvement over Realtek HD Audio if I use any decent aftermarket soundcard? I'm sorry I'm not good in computer audio stuffs.

In all reality, that depends on how good your hearing and equipment is in the first place. If you don't have great hearing to begin with, you probably won't notice a difference. If you don't have great equipment to begin with either, you probably won't hear a difference. With those headphones, you might hear a difference; a usb card might have a better amp in it to drive them than the onboard card and to many ears that sounds "better". You'll have to give something a try and see what you think. Many usb cards these days don't cost an arm and a leg....you'll spend more on the headphones in many cases. :wink:

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #30 of 30
I dont think theres going to be much of an improvment in that price range. Although the fiio e10 may be a boost in sound quality. I'm still waiting for xmas on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back