Really disappointed by the T50p, need burn in ?
Jan 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jak32

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

First of all, I'm french,  so I'm going to do my best to explain what's wrong with my T50p in english.

I have both DT880 and T50P, and I love the sound of the DT880. When I bought the t50p, I found the sound veiled, especially in the mids. It don't sound clear like the DT880, and this clearness is very important to me.

Actually, my t50p has about 100 hours of burn in, and it helped to improve the sound, but it's still not enough.

Does my Headphones need more Burn In ? Because now, it's really not a pleasure to listen to them.

Thanks !

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 21
The usual response here is what is the other equipment in you sound chain - ie source and amp. It'd probably help if you identify which model DT880s you have 32, 250 or 600 ohm. Identifying what type of music you listen to also is useful.This info will help identify if you are comparing like to like or whether it is just a sound you don't like on the T50p.

I have both the phones you describe (though my 880s are the 300 ohm 2005 version). Whilst the 880 is definitely the "clearer" of the two phones, I wouldn't have said the T50p is "veiled"(and I'm listening to them now). I run the T50p through either portably through an ipod touch and TTVJ Portable slim amp or at work through a Wadia 170i/DacMagic/Naim headline. The work rig certainly provides a more open sound, scaling up quite nicely with the additional current the amp supplies. 

regards,

Giles

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm going to say no. The sound of the headphones doesn't change very much after about 10 hours of burn in. An amp or improvement anywhere down the line shouldn't change the sound signature drastically. If you don't like the headphones, I would sell them.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 21
I agree with amping them...yes, they are designed to be low impedance portables that can be run from portable gear without the need for an amp, but these sound fantastic with one.  Much improved bass response, clean highs (they already are, but amping the phones gives you a lot more "overhead"), and a slightly more forward midrange.  In fact, I am stunned by how much low end bass these phones are capable of...the Arrow's bass boost makes these phones just pound, while maintaining control and clarity.  The low end is there even unamped, but it tends to be hidden by the sparkling highs the T50p's are capable of.

I don't find them veiled at all...very clean and clear throughout the frequency range, especially in comparison to the ESW9's, for example.  If anything, the vocals (not the entire midrange) seems slightly recessed, but I think this is due to the bright highs and smooth bass.

OP, what version of the earpads do you have?  I can't remember the exact serial number, but I think somewhere around the 3,000s they switched to a broader, flatter and more open earpad in order to address the picky placement issue...the older pads made it difficult to get a good acoustic seal on the ear, resulting in loss of bass and overall sound signature. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 21
Well, serial number on mine is 13289, so I think they don't have the older pads. For the moment, I'm using them with a cowon d2+, but I'll buy an amp as soon as possible, it's expected.

My DT880 is the 250 Ohm version from 2005, and I mostly listen to Hip Hop and Jazz. Like Golden Monkey said, it's more about the vocals, especially on males voices, but I agree with you about getting an amp, it may help to improve the sound. Actually, they sounding almost perfect to my ears when I enable BBE effect on the cowon D2, but when it's disable, all the emotion in voices disapear.

I was looking for an amp for the DT880, but I don't know what's the perfect association, and I need an amp wich is working fine with both headphones...

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 21
I have had the t50p for about two months now. I was disappointed at first, but now I am constantly impressed with the sound. I have pointed this out in a previous post regarding the t50p, namely  - add an extra pair of pads, preferrably the softer version onto the previous one. It is perfectly OK, since the pads are having an efficient glue. This fix changes the sound completely! Before laughing, try it!  It would be nice to hear your opinion after you have tried this. The reason for the improvement is probably the bigger acoustic room being available in the can. It really sounds GREAT!

Of course, you do not look better when the phones are reaching out longer than before, but anyways, having earphones generally don't prettify us especially much :)

//Ivan

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 21

Have had these for a little while now. Running an iPod classic through my Headstage Arrow. The Arrow definately improves the sound of the T50P's, the bass feature makes a big difference. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, the sound is fine, but for price my HD25-1 ii's are a much nicer sound (to me anyway), they isolate better, have deeper bass and a slightly wider soundstage. Still, it's early days and sometimes it takes time to appreciate the unique sound of new headphones, and my first impression wasn't overwhelming. Thank you though to the Headstage Arrow, this versatile, amazing little amp makes everything better.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 21
I don't own the T50p, but had the opportunity to audition them during a meet with dfkt (Btw here's his review of them). In short, they sounded veiled and somewhat diffuse to me too. I had my FX700 IEMs with me and these surpassed the T50p in almost every aspect. Maybe they would have grown on me if I'd listened to them for longer, but I doubt it. The difference to the JVCs was striking.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 21
I remember reading about the sound changing drastically with the way the T50p's are worn. perhaps this is causing the veil on the mids. haven't heard them myself, but others have mentioned how the position of the phones changes the sound more than eartips/fitment of IEM's

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
I don't own the T50p, but had the opportunity to audition them during a meet with dfkt (Btw here's his review of them). In short, they sounded veiled and somewhat diffuse to me too. I had my FX700 IEMs with me and these surpassed the T50p in almost every aspect. Maybe they would have grown on me if I'd listened to them for longer, but I doubt it. The difference to the JVCs was striking.

As I indicated previously, I don't think these are veiled. What I do think is that there might be some qc issues with the T50p. I've read enough comments similar to yours to realise that this diffusion is not an infrequent negative comment about the T50p and also that this so completely conflicts with my own pair.

Like you  I own the Ortofon Eq7 IEM and I'd go so far as too say the Beyers sound to me like an upscaled Orto: plenty of space round the instruments,  nice PRaT, not the deepest bass but clean quick and articulate etc. The beyers do have a much clearer and extented top end - percussion instruments esp cymbals, xylophones etc sound so much better than the Ortos.

My main observation about the T50p - they are more than any other phone I've tried dependent on ear placement for consistent sound ( not as bad as dfkt' s mm either way difference though). In this way they are similar to the DT880s which can be meh if off axis on the ear too much. Secondly I have come across no other portable phone that scales up as well with increased quality of amplication. Good as they are through an iphone, they sound better through a Nuforce mobile Icon, better again through a Headroom Micro Amp, better again through a TTVJ, a LD IV, and a Naim Headline. Neither the HD 25-1 or the TMA-1 also in my possession does this to the same extent. The T50p have replaced the K271mkiis as my work phone and I have no problems with swapping out my DT880s for them either (though the DT880s are the better headphone - they just don't crap over them as they do the HD 25-1s when hooked up to the stereo).

Now all this is just my opinion but as indicated in the range of equipment I have to hand, I have compared them to more than a few peers and not found them wanting. Which is why I wonder about the qc issue...

regards,

Giles 

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 21
I found that they had some sort of frequency response dip around 4000hz - something that might cause what you describe as a veil.

Take a look at the DT 1350 : they're only slightly more expensive than the T50p, but Beyer seem to have designed them with a monitoring pedigree in mind. It's already been confirmed that they'll be more neutral than the T50p.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 21
i'm with the OP on the t50p.  in the past week i've auditioned a few headphones side by side, and unfortunately the t50p is the worst sounding of the group (compared to denon d1100, ath-m50, t5p, e8, rs1i).  it's not a fair comparison but i did expect a lot out of these phones.

to me they also sounded muffled and diffused, likely listening to music through closed doors. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
As I indicated previously, I don't think these are veiled. What I do think is that there might be some qc issues with the T50p. I've read enough comments similar to yours to realise that this diffusion is not an infrequent negative comment about the T50p and also that this so completely conflicts with my own pair.

Like you  I own the Ortofon Eq7 IEM and I'd go so far as too say the Beyers sound to me like an upscaled Orto: plenty of space round the instruments,  nice PRaT, not the deepest bass but clean quick and articulate etc. The beyers do have a much clearer and extented top end - percussion instruments esp cymbals, xylophones etc sound so much better than the Ortos.

Thanks, I might as well try a new pair at some point, as your comparison to the Ortofons sounds pretty tempting and I could just return them if they don't deliver.

Quote:
I found that they had some sort of frequency response dip around 4000hz - something that might cause what you describe as a veil.

Take a look at the DT 1350 : they're only slightly more expensive than the T50p, but Beyer seem to have designed them with a monitoring pedigree in mind. It's already been confirmed that they'll be more neutral than the T50p.

Thanks for the heads-up. 80Ω vs. 32Ω though, so I guess they'll need even more driving power.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I might as well try a new pair at some point, as your comparison to the Ortofons sounds pretty tempting and I could just return them if they don't deliver.

Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up. 80Ω vs. 32Ω though, so I guess they'll need even more driving power.

Not necessarily. The T50p supposedly are more efficient than my ESW10, but I always felt they needed as much power to be at the same volume. Also, the DT 1350 seems to be slightly more sensitive than the T50p given their specs.
I also don't think that The T50p are completely veiled, but they surely don't give emphasis to the upper midrange range. They tend to put the lower midrange / midbass and lower trebles (8000hz) forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back