Realistically: How would I ship over 450 cd's?
Aug 15, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
I am debating if I should sell all of my CD's (over 450 total).

The logistics is proving to be a problem, I don't know how I would safely package all the cd's, and their jewel cases.

If any of you have some ideas, or have first hand expierence with this, please post or PM me.

Thanks,

-Matt K.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 18
Do you mean individually, or as a group buy? There are tons of places that sells cheap CD mailers for individual CDs, and media mail is dirt cheap.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 18
If you go ~50 or less to a box you could just pack them in together and have a decent amount of padding on all sides. I've received packages of large numbers of CDs with the jewel cases stuffed into a cardboard box with no padding at all, and only a small number ever had cracks or broken spiders.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go ~50 or less to a box you could just pack them in together and have a decent amount of padding on all sides. I've received packages of large numbers of CDs with the jewel cases stuffed into a cardboard box with no padding at all, and only a small number ever had cracks or broken spiders.

about how much did it cost you to ship?

and i assume the cardboard boxes were just normal ones i can buy at u-haul or a place along those lines?

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 18
Received, not shipped, I don't know the actual shipping costs from memory, but you can get that from the USPS website based on zipcode and weight. As far as boxes, if you're planning to use priority mail, why buy boxes when the ones for priority mail are free? You'll have to see for yourself depending on the location whether it's more cost effective to use the flat rate boxes or use the larger boxes and pay by weight.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 18
I ordered a thousand CDs from Germany once. If you pack carefully with bubble wrap, they'll arrive in reasonably good shape.

See ya
Steve

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 18
Shipping USPS as media (what used to be called book rate) will get you the best rate. Cheaper even than parcel post. Pack them well, and they take a little longer than priority, but will save quite a bit. Sturdy boxes. I used an extra layer of cardboard on all sides, then reinforced the corners with extra cardboard. Then inner layer of bubble wrap against the cardboard before I put the CDs in. The second time I packed smaller boxes (with bubble wrap around the CDs and put that into a bigger, sturdy boxes loaded with peanuts on every surface. I've shipped hundreds of CDs in three moves that way over the years, and don't remember any significant damage.

Only thing is you cannot mix media with any other type of item, or they will charge the entire box at the higher rate.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 18
In a big box.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about how much did it cost you to ship?

and i assume the cardboard boxes were just normal ones i can buy at u-haul or a place along those lines?

Go to this site to calculate postage.

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 18
You could place the CD in an spindle and the covers separately but inside the box. The buyer would then buy new jewel boxes. It actually might be cheaper to ship w/o the jewel boxes to allow the purchase of the jewel cases by the buyer to be a wash.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could place the CD in an spindle and the covers separately but inside the box. The buyer would then buy new jewel boxes. It actually might be cheaper to ship w/o the jewel boxes to allow the purchase of the jewel cases by the buyer to be a wash.

probably the best idea of this thread, I hadn't considered it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back