READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #301 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by druelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be very careful! There's a documented bug with dbPoweramp and the ALAC codec. When you play the converted ALAC files on your iPod some tracks will randomly skip and I found that they weren't gapless. I did a lot of Googling and forum reading and found a great (albeit slower) way to convert from .FLAC to .ALAC:

1) (if you haven't already) Download foobar2000 from here: http://www.foobar2000.org/
1a) Download the ALAC component plugin here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_input_alac.zip

2) Download "iTunesencode.exe" from here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=35242

3) In your foobar2000 settings, go to Preferences --> Tools --> Converter

Encoder: Custom
Encoder: path to iTunesEncode.exe <ex: C:\iTunesencode.exe>
Extension: m4a
Parameters: -e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist%" -l "%album%" -t "%title%" -g "%genre%" -y %date% -n %tracknumber% -i %s -o %d -d
Format is: lossless
Highest BPM mode supported: 16
Display name: ALAC

4) Drag the FLAC files into the foobar2000 window, right click and select convert --> convert to... and select the ALAC profile you created earlier. Foobar/iTunes will convert in the background.

The only problem I've encountered is that with a dual-core CPU foobar will try and open 2 encoding tasks simultaneously and it will fail. To get around this,when foobar2000 is running (but not yet converting) go into task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and right click on "foobar2000.exe" --> affinity and only select "CPU 0" This did the trick for me. It seems I have to do this every time I start foobar (the settings don't seem to stick).

EDIT: To permanently set foobar2000 to only use 1 of the cores on a dual-core CPU, download this: http://www.reality-xp.com/support/kn...c/imagecfg.zip and copy it to your foobar directory.

Run cmd.exe then type "imagecfg -a 0x1 foobar2000.exe" It will permanently patch the program to use only 1 core (it alters the file, so be careful if you use this method for other programs)

Let me know if ithis works for you. The converted ALAC files play flawless on my iPod (because they're encoded directly through iTunes).

Thank you. The skipping and gapped playback on my Ipod due to bugs in the ALAC encoder in dbpoweramp was causing me some headaches. Your method worked flawlessly.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #302 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess that settles it then!
rolleyes.gif

It all depends on what you call "issues". There are most definitely differences in the sound between the 5/5.5G and the Classic. To me, those differences make the Classic sound "bad" (i.e. worse). While I'm not going to debate such a subjective opinion with anyone, to state that the matter is closed because your magical golden ears tell you so is a bit presumptuous. Do you have the 5.5G to compare and honestly prefer the sound of the Classic?

I have a 5g 30 gig, a 5.5 g 80 gig, and a classic 160 gig. So yes, I am able to compare the models, and no, I don't prefer the classic. I don't prefer any of the 3, they all sound the same to me..neutral. My songs still sound like my songs. The only difference is my opinion is based on reality and not belief in placebo. I can compare them side by side all day and not once will I be able to accurately distinguish a difference. This is not due to a flaw in my hearing, thats all I'm saying. Trust me I'd love to think the $400 I just spent on a new DAP bought me improved sound other than just more memory, but it really IS just more memory. Look at this thread. The opinions are various as can be from owners of the 5.5g and the classic. My gear doesn't suck, my ears don't suck, my music is lossless, so what else could possibly inhibit me from hearing such difference?

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #303 of 320
I picked up a re-certified 30GB Zune for 90$ at buy dot com. Has one year warranty and comes in a sealed box. ipods are so frustrating, I tried to put songs on one and it would only let me erase all the songs and add only the new ones. I really don't understand what is so special about them.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #304 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 5g 30 gig, a 5.5 g 80 gig, and a classic 160 gig. So yes, I am able to compare the models, and no, I don't prefer the classic. I don't prefer any of the 3, they all sound the same to me..neutral.

I have 3g, 4g photo, 5.5g and Classic and they all sound the same.

See ya
Steve

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #305 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 5g 30 gig, a 5.5 g 80 gig, and a classic 160 gig. So yes, I am able to compare the models, and no, I don't prefer the classic. I don't prefer any of the 3, they all sound the same to me..neutral. My songs still sound like my songs. The only difference is my opinion is based on reality and not belief in placebo. I can compare them side by side all day and not once will I be able to accurately distinguish a difference. This is not due to a flaw in my hearing, thats all I'm saying. Trust me I'd love to think the $400 I just spent on a new DAP bought me improved sound other than just more memory, but it really IS just more memory. Look at this thread. The opinions are various as can be from owners of the 5.5g and the classic. My gear doesn't suck, my ears don't suck, my music is lossless, so what else could possibly inhibit me from hearing such difference?

You really think the placebo effect accounts for the number of people reporting sound differences and/or deficiencies with the Classic? I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. Just because you don't hear the difference doesn't make it a fact. I spent enough time with the two players back to back and I'll take your Pepsi challenge any day of the week.

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #306 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by romanalexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a re-certified 30GB Zune for 90$ at buy dot com. Has one year warranty and comes in a sealed box. ipods are so frustrating, I tried to put songs on one and it would only let me erase all the songs and add only the new ones. I really don't understand what is so special about them.

you had the software set to auto sync. enjoy the zune, its software integration is set up very similar to the ipod's.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #307 of 320
Then there are those of us with 4g 5g or 5.5g IMODS with great amplifiers who wouldn't trade their sound for any other out there.
3000smile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #308 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really think the placebo effect accounts for the number of people reporting sound differences and/or deficiencies with the Classic? I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. Just because you don't hear the difference doesn't make it a fact. I spent enough time with the two players back to back and I'll take your Pepsi challenge any day of the week.

Well, my opinion is my own, and I'm the only one I can speak for. Some in this thread think the Classic sound is superior to the other models, not deficient at all. Others, like Steve who posted above you, agree with me and think they sound the same, and his models go all the way back to the 3g. I just think if there IS a difference (which I wholeheartedly don't believe there is), its surely not enough for all the comparisons and "which iPod should I get for best SQ?" threads. People are being led to believe there are bigger differences than there really are (again, in my opinion). If you think you can hear a difference, buy the one you think sounds best, but my decent ears and decent setup cannot detect one.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #309 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then there are those of us with 4g 5g or 5.5g IMODS with great amplifiers who wouldn't trade their sound for any other out there.
3000smile.gif

You could very well be right, but I've only heard an iMod once before, and I would need far more convincing before spending the extra cash, as I didn't have anything around to A/B compare to.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #310 of 320
The 4G photo definitely did not sound the same, as it had an electronic artifact introduced into quieter music such as solo piano tracks, which was clearly audible. It also sounded to my ears at the very least to be bass light, but that is more subjective.

I would be hard pressed to hear any difference between the 5G and the Classic - in fact I can't tell them apart. However with different soundchips and electronic circuitry in them, it would be dangerous to say that all people under all conditions will experience the same lack of differentiation. Though I too am incredulous at the night and day experiences often reported here - any differences I think I hear are subtle at best, and half the time you are so busy wondering if there was any difference at all that you can't work out which was better sounding anyway.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #311 of 320
I dunno about that. For me even with just a casual listen, the output of 1st gen mini and 4G iPods was markedly thin sounding to my ears compared to Sony/Creative devices I had at the time. I wouldn't have bought any iPods of that era as I simply didn't like the sound. The 5G iPod however was much improved, and sound closer to my other players and would have been happy to use one.

Your either bothered by this or your not. I couldn't remember the lyrics in most of the music I listen to, while other people remember every word. But I do remember the distinct sound of the instruments, and how they sounded. To others one drum or guitar sounds the same as another.

I guess its just the way your head is wired.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #312 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4G photo definitely did not sound the same, as it had an electronic artifact introduced into quieter music such as solo piano tracks, which was clearly audible.

You're probably talking about the grounding buzz caused by loose connection with the dock connector. I've heard that on all of my iPods. Wiggling the dock connector or using a different cable eliminates it.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #313 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably talking about the grounding buzz caused by loose connection with the dock connector. I've heard that on all of my iPods. Wiggling the dock connector or using a different cable eliminates it.

No its a different problem - This link tells you a bit about it. I wish it was a subtle effect that no one except those with good imaginations could hear, but it was actually very audible. You could get around it by not using the headphone port for listening, and there was suggestion that high (or was it low) impedance headphones would help. Anyway old news - but the iPod photo was definitely the worse sound.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #314 of 320
I use my iPod photo all the time and it doesn't have any stray noise through the headphone out.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #315 of 320
Try solo piano music - that was the real test for this defect, and it will sound like an electronic haze around the notes. Many never heard it because they didn't listen to solo music with a lot of decay in the notes - put a bit of space and acoustic around the notes and it is a very odd and annoying effect. I think that higher impedance headphones helped cure the problem, but it was perfectly audible in my not very sophisticated PX100s. Its been a couple of years since I sold my photo model, and I can't remember all the discussion that went on at the time, but you can see it was a long thread!

I really am not prone to exaggerating small or nonexistent differences in sound either - this one was perfectly audible to my sackcloth ears. Actually it was responsible for the one amp that I have ever bought, in order that I could listen through the dock (an expensive solution to getting a volume control....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back