READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Sep 13, 2007 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 320

Bob Mahoy

100+ Head-Fier
I know I havn't been on this forum in a long time, but I noticed how many of you are jumping to buy the new ipods and I thought that you might want to read this first:

http://homepage.mac.com/marc.heijlig...surements.html

*NOTE* Read the page above with a grain of salt, the information has been contested with more reliable equipment by our forum members. Also, there is no physical proof that Cirrus has replaced Wolfson, although the evidence seems to be mounting in economic reports.

Be sure to have a look at the graphs in the lower half of the post.

Here's the conclusion: "From these measurements it is obvious that the Cirrus audio IC is worse that the Wolfson IC:
- Treble has an uplift of 0.1dB.
- The Codec has a non-linear group delay.
- The phase faults are caused by non-linear effects.

The audible impact is significant, and a firmware correction (most Codecs contain programmable parts) is definitely required to bring back the iPod sound quality to normal levels."

----

More worrying are the graphs below:

http://www.dapreview.net/i/newspost_...lassicboot.jpg
http://www.dapreview.net/i/newspost_...classicnav.jpg

Both links are from DAPreview.net; they found that the increase in battery life is actually proportional to the additional boot/loading times. In other words, the new ipod has actually been crippled.
blink.gif
and not improved. Video capability has, as you know, also been crippled through the HO.

You'll all thank me someday.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 320
Please note that I don't hate ipods, I'm just trying to protect everyone from buying into the launch hype.

Hmm...is my post not showing up?

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 320
way to put a spanner in the works, i will have to wait a while to see what happens with this. or even better, try and get a listen to the classic myself.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 320
If this is true, than i'll go Cowon for sure...

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 320
With my iPod Classic 160GB I can discern no hiss. However, I can perceive the other audible symptoms described (especially compared with my Zune).

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 320
Thanks for the reminder
but I'll wait until they show up in bix box store like bestbuy and if the sound is not satisfying , I can always return it easily
tongue.gif

and yup , launch hype is always dangerous. Seldom do ppl crticize new products and after a month or two, problems show up

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 320
Two things: One, is it possible that these are just isolated issues? And also, can't the issues at hand be improved with software updates? If so, then there really isn't much of a problem. I think that with as many reviews as there've been with ipods going up over the past few days that if there were any serious performance flaws along those lines they would've been brought up by now.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 320
well, if this does get fixed, i will certainly jump on a 160gb+yotank. you just cant argue with the capacity!

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>
... can't the issues at hand be improved with software updates? If so, then there really isn't much of a problem.

<snip>

Very true, provided Apple actually makes it happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt Apple will address SQ issues. That usually isn't what their updates entail. Wait for RockBox, that would take care of most of this.

The new iPods will probably not be RockBox'ed.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 320
you could equally argue that the implementation of the ipod classic's circuitry is an indication that apple have taken steps towards better sq...

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could equally argue that the implementation of the ipod classic's circuitry is an indication that apple have taken steps towards better sq...

Or...its cheaper to move the analogue stage into the dac chip.
icon10.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 320
Well bad measurements or not, my classic with UE-5c's and the headphone out sounds superb to me. I personally think that out of the 5 other ipods I own it sounds the best by far from the headphone out. Now remember I have only tried this with my UE-5's. I am not saying there is not a problem in the classic. While I can hear the more pronounced trebble, to me and my ears it helps alot with opening up the sound. I would say that anyone who is concerned about this should go and have a listen for yourself before we all start condeming the classic. One other thing I noticed was the bass is much tighter and more full if you will, then on my 5g or 5.5g. I had to check to see if the bass boost was on at first and it was not. This is not meant to be a review of the classic, but my own personal feelings so far.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back