RE1 just arrived: impressions
May 28, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 22
nice review man. glad to hear more views from the precious few peeps on the forums who've got the RE1s. just popped the trigger on a pair of trip fis. previously was undecided between the RE1s and trip fi, but with the minimal info we have on them here, i decided to go with the trip fis instead. the RE1s do look like a very promising pair for it's price now though!

May 28, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #17 of 22
after listening to them more today out of the amp and unamped out of the ipod i would say they sound alot better out of the amp than unamped.

- unamped they sound a little "plasticky", sound is less defined/clear. This quality was very noticeable in vocals especially. I guess thats why i preferred the SA6 over them unamped. Amped, they sound much cleaner/less grain/plasticky and better defined. To me the mids are really improved alot when amped.
- bass is slightly improved when amped, abit more punch and definition.
- treble had abit more sparkle/was better defined when amped (still nowhere near fatiguing tho so it was a welcome addition)
- overall sound across all frequencies when amped was much cleaner, much better defined with more clarity (i guess thats the general improvement for most cans when plugged into an amp).

was using opa627/lt1469 combination.

May 28, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #19 of 22
I would not call the SA6s a FOTM. The vast majority of owners find them to be the real deal, so that comment is over the top. Do you consider the Atrios a FOTM? Doubtful. Yet, they are generating nowhere near the interest they did a year ago? I know I don't believe they are a FOTM phone, even though I sold them. In most cases, general interest wanes over time, and that's all this is. I don't sense any stampede to dump SA6s by owners/supporters (a la V-Moda Vibes).

As for the RE1 being in the same category, they are barely out of the gate, so they don't qualify, not even close. And as you've seen so far, the RE1s pretty much require an amp to shine, while the SA6s don't. So they aren't really in competition based on usage style. Plus, at least right now, there is a $100 price difference. The comparisons are just made by one poster, who likes them both.

Anyway, FOTM is a somewhat negative term, for gear that goes from great to bad, in my view. No reason to label either of these phones as such, since they are both quality pieces of equipment based on user feedback.

I am not being oversensitive here, just think flip comments don't really add much.

May 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not call the SA6s a FOTM....

I am not being oversensitive here, just think flip comments don't really add much.

Second that^.

Owning both, I can say I don't see SA6 as FOTM even I do prefer RE1 more. In fact, now I am using RE1 amped and SA6 when I don't bother to carry an amp. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. If you consider you need an amp for RE1 to shine over SA6, than the price (of RE1 + amp) will be over SA6, certainly not everyone will want to buy amp or carry one around. Plus, SA6 has received some really great respond on CamJam '08, not what you will expect from a "newbie FOTM".

IMO, calling something FOTM without careful examination should be avoided.

May 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 22
i haven't been reading/participating religiously enough in the forums to fully comprehend the meaning behind FOTM... so cant really comment on that.

Although i do love the SA6 very much for their beautiful midrange and non fatiguing sound, and think they are great phones: they introduced a whole new way of listening to music for me.

May 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 22
Its official: i have decided to sell them. Anyone interested in getting them off me send me a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back