RE1 just arrived: impressions
May 27, 2008 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

windrider

100+ Head-Fier
After listening to them for 1-2 hours now comparing them with my SA6(bass=/treble=), this is what i think.

unamped out of ipod classic:

RE1
- has bigger and better soundstage than SA6 (more 3D sounding)
- has much better bass, both in quantity and impact/punch/definition/audibility than SA6
- has rolled off treble compared to SA6 (and comparing to other cans i've heard i'd say they have quite a rolled off treble)
- mids not as prominent/forward as SA6 slightly recessed/less body/less sweet sounding compared to the SA6, but then again the mids of SA6 are the best i heard so far in my life.
- pretty comfortable but not made for wearing over the ears: will have more microphonics.
- warmer sound signature than SA6. I thought the SA6s were already warm sounding and non fatiguing, but RE1s are even warmer sounding and very non fatiguing.

Coming from a week or so of listening to SA6, i found them worse sounding at first listen, but after a couple of hours i find them not really "worse" but just "different", being more focused on the lower spectrum, but without the to-die-for mids of SA6.

Maybe its just because of their different sound signature, but i find the SA6 sounds "clearer" due to the amazing mids they have, and maybe due to them having more treble than RE1. RE1 mids sound slightly grainier and recessed in comparison and this is hard to adjust to after being spoilt by SA6 in this department since almost all music i listen to have vocals.

For rock/metal music i do like the bass of RE1 very much, but at the same time find myself missing the mids of SA6. I wish i could have them both
biggrin.gif

will post impressions of running them out of a zero/dac amp with different opamp combinations if i get to it.

Although i do like the RE1s very much, especially since i listen to alot of rock and metal, and especially for their price (so much cheaper than the SA6!) but i think i might sell them and stick to the SA6, because (soon to be) wireless iem is just too good to give up
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this opinion would be of help to anyone intending to run the RE1 unamped out of an ipod classic.

May 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Thanks for the mini-comparison, finally we're seeing something other than glowing reviews of the RE1 in head-fi. Though you might be quickly "reminded" by the other RE1 reviewers that a good amp transforms the RE1's into a whole new creature.

I think we're gonna see more RE1 reviews coming up soon, since more people seem to be ordering them recently...

May 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 22
Nice. It's really too bad they look so cheap, and too much like the Sony canal headphones that come with Sony Ericsson cell phones. And no over the ear? I'm disappointed.

May 27, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent_teh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the mini-comparison, finally we're seeing something other than glowing reviews of the RE1 in head-fi. Though you might be quickly "reminded" by the other RE1 reviewers that a good amp transforms the RE1's into a whole new creature.

I think we're gonna see more RE1 reviews coming up soon, since more people seem to be ordering them recently...

Yep they do sound much better out of my home amp. I figured some people might be wondering how'd they fare out straight of an ipod classic tho
biggrin.gif

they'd probably beat SA6 if you run them out of a good portable amp and are willing to bring the whole setup around with you.

May 27, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. The best way I found to remove microphonics is to use a shirt clip.

That sounds like a great idea!

May 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review! Can't wait to read your impressions with the Zero.

Also I found that they improve a bit with once you get about 100 hours on them.

I hope someone grabs them off me quick so i can get back cash to fund other purchases tho
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thats pretty amazing that it competes with the SA6.

I guess it depends on the music too; RE1 gets points since i listen to alot of rock/metal songs. If i listened to mainly jazz or something else instead SA6 would most likely turn out on top by a greater margin.

Also, i think SA6 sounds better at lower volumes unamped; on RE1 vocals are a tad too recessed/grainy/unclear on lower volumes from an unamped ipod IMO.

May 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep they do sound much better out of my home amp. I figured some people might be wondering how'd they fare out straight of an ipod classic tho
biggrin.gif

they'd probably beat SA6 if you run them out of a good portable amp and are willing to bring the whole setup around with you.

Yeah, amp can be a deciding factor of how RE1 sounds because of its high impedance. As I pointed out on my review, you will benefit the most from a slightly brighter amp to compensate the recessed treble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thats pretty amazing that it competes with the SA6.

Unamped, I find RE1 sounds close to SA6's SQ (but I have to turn the volume way up). Amped well, RE1 not only outperforms SA6, but also compare well with TF10.

May 28, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 22
I'm pretty curious about how the RE1 sounds compared to your DT880.
I have a DT880 and currently looking for an IEM that has a sound signature similar to the DT880.
Care to share?
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 22
IMO RE1 definite sounds nothing like the dt880. In fact, they are quite the exact opposite of each other.

dt880: more focused on highs,much more extended treble, much more airy, much more fatiguing and harsh, much thinner sound.
RE1: much more focused on the lows, better bass, very rolled of treble compared to dt880, much thicker and warmer sound, it still manages to convey a certain sense of space/airiness, but in a different way from the dt880

Also, although instrument seperation is very good on the RE1, i would say dt880 does better at this being a full sized can after all.

And, dt880 sounds much better at lower volumes.

I would probably think of RE1 as being similar to the hd650, but with a slightly dryer/less sweet mid range.

May 28, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO RE1 definite sounds nothing like the dt880. In fact, they are quite the exact opposite of each other.

dt880: more focused on highs,much more extended treble, much more airy, much more fatiguing and harsh, much thinner sound.
RE1: much more focused on the lows, better bass, very rolled of treble compared to dt880, much thicker and warmer sound, it still manages to convey a certain sense of space/airiness, but in a different way from the dt880

Also, although instrument seperation is very good on the RE1, i would say dt880 does better at this being a full sized can after all.

And, dt880 sounds much better at lower volumes.

I would probably think of RE1 as being similar to the hd650, but with a slightly dryer/less sweet mid range.

Thanks for the comparison.
Now I have a better understanding of the RE1
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back