RE0 Questions
Jul 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jamorama

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the RE0, after reading up on numerous reviews. I've been pretty pleased. However, I do still have a few questions...

1. How much 'burn in time' is needed for them to sound their best, if any?
  2. During burn in, has anyone experienced a slight drop in clarity? I know it sounds odd, but after a few days of listening for a couple hours each day, it seems the quality has gotton slightly muddy (or could it be the LA heat?)... any ideas?
  3. In terms of amps, what are the benefits of getting one (I'm talking low end fiio and such... on a low budget)?
  4. The included tips all 'just work'. They don't fit perfectly, but I can put up with them. Are there any other tips (foam?) that I can try out?
  5. How much does the player (computer, ipod, etc) affect the actual sound?
  6. Is there anything I should know about the RE0's? EQ settings and such?

That's it for now, thanks in advance!

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 23
Amping the RE0 will help bring out the bass a little more, give you a fuller sound, and provide increased volume. I use a FiiO E1 myself with the RE0. An E5 should do fine too, with the bass boost being a nice bonus to complement the RE0's shyness in that area. I think it's still fine even without amping though.

A good tip to use are the Shure olives. They are too small to just swap in, and need some mod work done first. Such as:
  1. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473485/how-to-fit-shure-olives-on-larger-nozzle-iems-without-de-coring-with-pics
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478766/shure-olive-guide-strech-decore-photos
You can try Comply tips as well. But they don't last very long.

The player/source always has an impact, unless the headphones are really bad such that good and bad sources both sound equally awful. However, with the RE0 you'll won't have the problem of muddy bass. 
etysmile.gif

For EQ, just use whatever sounds best to your ears. Some players do EQ the wrong way, and produce distortion/clipping when boosting frequencies. If you get that, then just use the reverse EQ setting instead. For example, if bass boost gives problems, then choose treble reducer instead. It's the same end result, except treble reducer won't cause clipping.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 23
I can't comment on the burn in from experience. They did sound better to me after some period of use, but that may have more to do with me swapping in the Shure olive tips and experimenting with EQ. 

Many people have reported the sound improving from burning in though. But I say don't let that stop you from enjoying your music in the meantime.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
I recently purchased the RE0, after reading up on numerous reviews. I've been pretty pleased. However, I do still have a few questions...

2. During burn in, has anyone experienced a slight drop in clarity? I know it sounds odd, but after a few days of listening for a couple hours each day, it seems the quality has gotton slightly muddy (or could it be the LA heat?)... any ideas?
  3. In terms of amps, what are the benefits of getting one (I'm talking low end fiio and such... on a low budget)?
  4. The included tips all 'just work'. They don't fit perfectly, but I can put up with them. Are there any other tips (foam?) that I can try out?

1) 50 to 100 hours. Bass more prominent and the harshness in the highs smooths out
2) The sound does become more smoother through the mids and highs (almost velvety and fluid in the mids) i actually love this sound.
3) not sure
4) i use Meelec m11 tip set (5 different tips including bi flange and tri flange) tips are a little softer than RE0 tips and the bi flange is a little smaller. for foam tips  Comply T400s fit.
5) i have tried RE0 on an iPhone and dont like it at all. bass boost distorts and volume was almost full to drive the RE0.
walkman with clearbass works well and volume 12 /30 is heaps
6) boost that bass +2 cut the mids -1 everything else flat (works for me)

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

5) i have tried RE0 on an iPhone and dont like it at all. bass boost distorts and volume was almost full to drive the RE0.

The new software version iOS4 no longer distorts the sound when using equalizer.

In terms of volume, the iPhone you tried must have had the "Volume Limit" ON and set pretty low, because with that setting off, listening to the RE0 with the volume half way is already too much for my ears.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:

1) 50 to 100 hours. Bass more prominent and the harshness in the highs smooths out
2) The sound does become more smoother through the mids and highs (almost velvety and fluid in the mids) i actually love this sound.
3) not sure
4) i use Meelec m11 tip set (5 different tips including bi flange and tri flange) tips are a little softer than RE0 tips and the bi flange is a little smaller. for foam tips  Comply T400s fit.
6) boost that bass +2 cut the mids -1 everything else flat (works for me)

1) Did you notice any decrease in clarity during any time between the burn in time? Or is it just my ears... It's been pretty hot (90 degrees f+) so I wonder if it might be affecting them in any way...
4) The Meelec tips, approx how big are the triflanges(when using single tips, I can usually get a good fit with the small and mid sized tips), and how would you compare the bi flanges to the small ones that are included with the re0? The reason I'm saying this is because the bi flanges that came with the re0 feel too big and uncomfortable, so I ended up switching to my old sony tips which were much softer.
5) I'm mainly using the re0 for my ipod touch (3.1.3), and am having no trouble with the volume at all. When trying to use EQ on the ipt however, quality seemed to be even worse so I switched back to the original settings.

-NOTE- just to be clear, I have been testing music varying from 192kbps mp3's to flac files.

Quote:
Quote:

The new software version iOS4 no longer distorts the sound when using equalizer.

In terms of volume, the iPhone you tried must have had the "Volume Limit" ON and set pretty low, because with that setting off, listening to the RE0 with the volume half way is already too much for my ears.

Can you explain how iOS4 doesn't distort?

Also, I have had no problem with the volume, but it seems that people have said that the re0 would go great with an amp... any ideas?

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
1) Did you notice any decrease in clarity during any time between the burn in time? Or is it just my ears... It's been pretty hot (90 degrees f+) so I wonder if it might be affecting them in any way...
4) The Meelec tips, approx how big are the triflanges(when using single tips, I can usually get a good fit with the small and mid sized tips), and how would you compare the bi flanges to the small ones that are included with the re0? The reason I'm saying this is because the bi flanges that came with the re0 feel too big and uncomfortable, so I ended up switching to my old sony tips which were much softer.
5) I'm mainly using the re0 for my ipod touch (3.1.3), and am having no trouble with the volume at all. When trying to use EQ on the ipt however, quality seemed to be even worse so I switched back to the original settings.

1) not not that i can remember.
4) triflanges are quite small (too small for me), bi-flanges are a bit smaller and softer than the small RE0 bi flanges.
I had the same issue  with the biflanges being too big, however having said that i do use the large RE0 bi-flange with the 2nd flange cut off and that seals really well. (see the picture).
I use this tip on my RE-ZEROs and the meelec Biflange on my RE0s

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:

1) not not that i can remember.
4) triflanges are quite small (too small for me), bi-flanges are a bit smaller and softer than the small RE0 bi flanges.
I had the same issue  with the biflanges being too big, however having said that i do use the large RE0 bi-flange with the 2nd flange cut off and that seals really well. (see the picture).
I use this tip on my RE-ZEROs and the meelec Biflange on my RE0s

Is it possible, by any chance, for you to show me the size of the meelec tips (mainly tri/bi) in comparison to the stock re0's (both sizes)? Also, are the tips the very soft kind that bend easily?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

- 50-75 hours, I personally burned my in for over 100+ hours cause I was lazy and forgot about them haha.
- I actually found the RE0 open up when it's fully burned it, I found it was very muddled when I got try them on prior to burn in.
- Fiio E5 can give it more bass, but it's nothing spectacular, for myself the Fiio E5, though amplified the sound, didn't sound too much different than out of my sansa, besides somewhat more "bass impact" but it distorts the highs and mids slightly.  I say pass on the E5 and get something else.
- source is one of the most important fulcrum in any audio set up, next to the quality of your music file, and by quality I mean how they were ripped, not necessarily the file size and type.  A 320kb can sound worst than a 192kb.
- Nope, just enjoy them :D

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
- source is one of the most important fulcrum in any audio set up, next to the quality of your music file, and by quality I mean how they were ripped, not necessarily the file size and type.  A 320kb can sound worst than a 192kb.

i rip all my cds to "lame v0" also known as "lame fast extreme". typical file sizes can be around 7 Mb, but the quality is spot on.

here are your pics. the meelec is the same height, but is not as wide

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:

-After about 100+ hours on mine, the highs are more refined, the bass becomes more controlled and present, and the sibilance almost disappears

-No, for me, the burn in process was a progressive one

-The fiio doesn't seem to improve anything in regards to this headphone, unless you have a low power source (ipod), I recommend not to use it. DO NOT use the bass boost unless you want to tame out the highs significantly, which cuts out this phone's initial characteristics and purpose - to be a clear and analytical phone. If you want a good amp with the RE0, buy a good amp, like the mini3 or an ibasso t3.

-I use the sony hybrids with mine, and the bass quantity and sound stage increases, so the Fiio bass boost isn't needed (in fact, my D2+ equalizer does it better). Plus the comfort and isolation is sooo nice. The vaccum seal effect does not occur anymore, unlike the black shallow insertion stocks.

-To sound it's best, you need a clean and flat audio signal on your PMP(D2, clip, etc.), or use a DAC.

-There is a slight dip below the 100hz point, it don't mind though, I'm not a bass head anymore. It is indeed nice, for bass heavy music though. Up it by about 2db or so.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:

1. I'd give the RE0s over 100 hundred hours, but you can enjoy them along the way just fine.
  2. I got a drop in clarity during burn-in as well, one side at a time.  It shouldn't last long at all, just keep playing music through them.  I'm not sure if it was because of the heat down here.  Also make sure the filters aren't wax-logged.  If so, just press them lightly against a napkin or something.
  3. They shine with a good amp, and by a good amp I don't mean Fiios.  You should go for a CMOY or iBasso amp if you can in combination with a line-out dock for your portable player, if it supports it.  It's fine if you go ampless, too.
  4. Aside from the other tips mentioned, Sony Hybrids may be another option for you.  I've read the fake Sony hybrids off eBay are actually better than the genuines for RE0.  I only use the stock medium regular tips that came with the earphones because they sound best to me with those. Fit is okay for me.
  5. The better your source (portable media player, computer, amp/dac, etc.), the better they will sound.  You don't need to worry about it, it's just for you to know you got a real good earphone there.
  6. EQing? Whatever works for you.  If you would like a small, easier-to-pocket case for your earphones than the plastic case they come in, try this.  I got one for my RE-252, it is quite nice and sturdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back